Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ihatecomedones

spiro? does it really do good for oily skin?

ok i have extreme oily skin ... im 16 and literally half an hour after washing my skin it will be oily .. like crazy oily!

i have done absolutely everything to try and make it better ... diet .. drinking water ... every medication ... over the counter crap ... changing washing ritual ... not washing atall ...

EVERYTHING!

and i just found out about spiro ... its sposed to control oil on the skin ....

i was wondering ... has anybody taken it?

whats the side effects?

how old do you have to be to take it? can you take it in teen years?

does it work?

please please please answer ... ive looked all over the internet and i cant find answers :(

aaahhhh! in the review section someone mentioned that this if taken long term causes overian cancer? is that true??

thanks x

Hey there, I just started spiro last week for hormonal acne and I can tell you that i have DEFINITLEY seen an decrease in the oil on my skin. im on 75 mg a day and it really has made a difference already! Im 22 and Im not sure if there is a certain age requirement....but if you are able, I would recommend that you try it!

Hey there, I just started spiro last week for hormonal acne and I can tell you that i have DEFINITLEY seen an decrease in the oil on my skin. im on 75 mg a day and it really has made a difference already! Im 22 and Im not sure if there is a certain age requirement....but if you are able, I would recommend that you try it!

Jgirl - Have you seen any side effects? Do you drink a lot of water?

I try to drink a lot of water! Usually during the day when im at class i dont drink very much but I try. I haven't experienced any side effects yet....although I am concerned about what it will do to my sex drive.... what about you? any side effects?

I try to drink a lot of water! Usually during the day when im at class i dont drink very much but I try. I haven't experienced any side effects yet....although I am concerned about what it will do to my sex drive.... what about you? any side effects?

I don't take it but really want to. I am waiting on new insurance to kick in. I have been worried about starting it just because I don't drink any water. I only drink mountain dew which I know is not good.

I have also been wondering if it causes sun sensitivity. Did your doctor say anything about that? Do you tan?

I tan about once a week because I live in North Dakota and need to for my own sanity :) my doctor never said anything about sun sensitivity and I havent heard of that either. I am also a nursing student and in my drug book it says that the side effects are dizziness, headache, constipation, "photosensitvity" (not sure what that means) hyperkalemia (high levels of potassium in the blood), and muscle cramps. Ok i found this also in my drug book....in the same class as spironolactone is a drug called Triamterene* which is the drug having photosensitivity and sun sensitivity as side effects. It says nothing about Aldactone and sun sensitivty which is what is usually prescribed for spironolactone treatment, that is what I am on. With that being said, It is not only important to drink an adequate amount of water for the health of your skin but also to avoid a build up of potassium in the blood. Drinking water will help to "flush" out toxins, impurities and a buildup of electrolytes in the blood that could potentially have an adverse affect! Let me know if you are able to try it, id love to hear from you about your progress!! hope this helps :)

Can spiro be obtained online or do you need to see a GP/Derm for it ?

Anyone......... ? plz

Anyone......... ? plz

you could probably obtain it online, but to be honest trying to obtain it over the internet is really dodgy. The site your ordering from may give you a different medication that looks like spiro, or they might mix the medication ..... i dont know if its illegal but it is pretty dodgy!

you obtain it from the GP/Derm normally though.

hope that helped hehe

Ihatecomedones - Been on Spiro for close to 4 months for treatment of my hormonal acne after everything else had failed. It's been a miracle drug for me. I noticed a decrease in oil production the first I was on it and better yet no more big nasty cysts on my chin or around my mouth area. It does take a couple months for it to really start working on the zits, but you will notice other subtle things more immediately, like the decreased oil. Also I am on a very low dosage of 50mg a day and it's enough to keep the cysts away.

As for the causing ovarian cancer, I've never heard that one before. There is a disclaimer in the side effects saying tumors were caused in rats. I mentioned this to my Dr and he pretty much laughed at me. Not in a condescending way but in a "don't believe everything you read" way. If you look at any medication side effects it's bound to list some horrible thing. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen to you.

My Dr. (General Practitioner) told me this is a very safe drug to take long term. He said he's been practicing medicine for 40 years and prescribing this to patients for all kinds of things: High blood pressure, histurism, alopecia) and he's never once heard of anyone having a bad reaction to it. That made me feel a lot better.

As frustratedgirl mentioned you do have a drink a lot of water and get blood tests every 3 months to make sure you potassium levels are ok. I just had my 3 month test and everything looks great.

Good Luck!

??? - By the looks of your avatar you are a guy. Sorry Spiro is only prescribed to women due to the effect on testosterone and feminization affects that can occur, like if you took it your breasts can grow and other stuff. This is precisely why you should never buy a drug online without speaking to your Dr.!

Anyone......... ? plz

you could probably obtain it online, but to be honest trying to obtain it over the internet is really dodgy. The site your ordering from may give you a different medication that looks like spiro, or they might mix the medication ..... i dont know if its illegal but it is pretty dodgy!

you obtain it from the GP/Derm normally though.

hope that helped hehe

Thanks.

??? - By the looks of your avatar you are a guy. Sorry Spiro is only prescribed to women due to the effect on testosterone and feminization affects that can occur, like if you took it your breasts can grow and other stuff.

That's unfortunate it seemed pretty effective too.

Thanks anyway.

yea its a bummer for guys. My Dr. told me he does prescribed it to some older men for high blood pressure as it helps tremendously with that. BUT those are probably old men who already have manboobs anyway and don't care if they grow a little bigger, LOL.

yea its a bummer for guys. My Dr. told me he does prescribed it to some older men for high blood pressure as it helps tremendously with that. BUT those are probably old men who already have manboobs anyway and don't care if they grow a little bigger, LOL.

Haha , oily skin or man boobs tough choice :think:

jk

Ihatecomedones - Been on Spiro for close to 4 months for treatment of my hormonal acne after everything else had failed. It's been a miracle drug for me. I noticed a decrease in oil production the first I was on it and better yet no more big nasty cysts on my chin or around my mouth area. It does take a couple months for it to really start working on the zits, but you will notice other subtle things more immediately, like the decreased oil. Also I am on a very low dosage of 50mg a day and it's enough to keep the cysts away.

As for the causing ovarian cancer, I've never heard that one before. There is a disclaimer in the side effects saying tumors were caused in rats. I mentioned this to my Dr and he pretty much laughed at me. Not in a condescending way but in a "don't believe everything you read" way. If you look at any medication side effects it's bound to list some horrible thing. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen to you.

My Dr. (General Practitioner) told me this is a very safe drug to take long term. He said he's been practicing medicine for 40 years and prescribing this to patients for all kinds of things: High blood pressure, histurism, alopecia) and he's never once heard of anyone having a bad reaction to it. That made me feel a lot better.

As frustratedgirl mentioned you do have a drink a lot of water and get blood tests every 3 months to make sure you potassium levels are ok. I just had my 3 month test and everything looks great.

Good Luck!

??? - By the looks of your avatar you are a guy. Sorry Spiro is only prescribed to women due to the effect on testosterone and feminization affects that can occur, like if you took it your breasts can grow and other stuff. This is precisely why you should never buy a drug online without speaking to your Dr.!

thankyou for writing .. that was extremely helpful :)

im female ... and i was if you know if i could take it at my age? im 16

will it be ok?

and thankyou again :)