Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've never had truly bad acne, but I have had persistent blackheads on my face for as long as I can remember. I have them primarily on my nose but also in that little crease above my chin and near my lips.

After years of lamenting my blackheads and hearing the "why don't you just squeeze them out?" line one too many times (I try, but they just come back the next day!), I finally went to a dermatologist who prescribed Tazorac .05% cream.

I now have a few questions:

1) How long before these blackheads REALLY disappear? It seems that the consensus is around six weeks or so... which seems so long from now, especially considering all the dry skin from the Tazorac.

2) I have been applying the cream every day to my "problem areas." The creases around my nose are usually really dry, even without the Tazorac, but I also have blackheads in them. The Tazorac has made this already-dry area even more dry, red, and flaky. Is this extreme dryness temporary, or will I have it as long as I use Tazorac?

I know that I could probably use Tazorac 3-4 times a week instead of everyday if I wanted to reduce dryness, but I'm really hoping to max out the possible efficacy. If I'm going to use the medicine, I don't want to half-ass it.

In short, I just want these blackheads gone for real! I'm impatient because I've tried literally everything else - Klaron (years ago), salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide/Proactiv, face masks, steaming my face, and BenzaClin. Everything seems to be tailored to those with "real" acne, not stubborn blackheads.

THANK YOU for any information/advice!