Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have pretty dry hair. I shampoo it about 3x per week, nd on the other days I simply rinse with warm water, apply cream rinse/conditioner, and rinse that out after a few minutes. I work out (and sweat :confused: ) every day, but my hair still only seems to need to be shampooed about every 3rd day. Sometimes if I don't rinse/condition my hair and just leave it be overnight, it will look greasy at the roots come morning. Would that mean my hair is oily?

My face is another story. It always seems to shine! I wear foundation and I have to dab my face off a couple times a day to keep from looking like a biohazardous oil spill.

At the same time, my skin gets dry and flaky very easily: I recently used AcneFree Terminator 10- a 10% benzoyl peroxide gel/lotion- and after about the 3rd or 4th use my face was so dry that when I went running on a windy day, my face stung really bad and had a burning feeling. Retin A Micro (at the lowest concentration and in the gentler cream formulation) caused super-dryness and flakiness too.

What is up with my oil glands? I don't understand how my face can produce so much oil, but get dried out so easily, when my hair doesn't produce that much oil. Shouldn't my body's oil production be regular throughout- scalp, face, body, etc?

Yeah it's fucked up i sometimes get dry skin on my face too and to make it worse i'll get super oily as well aww man the irony is as painful as the situation itself.

you should include fish oils or other omega 3's. also check if your shampoos have sulfates in them which can be harsh on hair :)

What is up with my oil glands? I don't understand how my face can produce so much oil, but get dried out so easily, when my hair doesn't produce that much oil. Shouldn't my body's oil production be regular throughout- scalp, face, body, etc?

Your hair doesn't "produce" oil, of course. Kligman and his colleagues did a thorough set of experiments which demonstrated that there's only ONE way that oil (sebum) gets onto hair in the first place: by being tracked onto it through physical contact, like when you comb or brush your hair, scratch or touch your head, sleep on a pillow and move your head around, etc. Sebum doesn't just naturally flow along the length of hair. You have to FORCE it to contaminate your hair, through one of the aforementioned methods.

Your hair doesn't "produce" oil, of course. Kligman and his colleagues did a thorough set of experiments which demonstrated that there's only ONE way that oil (sebum) gets onto hair in the first place: by being tracked onto it through physical contact, like when you comb or brush your hair, scratch or touch your head, sleep on a pillow and move your head around, etc. Sebum doesn't just naturally flow along the length of hair. You have to FORCE it to contaminate your hair, through one of the aforementioned methods.

I know that hair itself cannot produce oil- hair is just dead proteins (or something along those lines) correct?. I should have been more specific. I was referring to the oiliness/dryness of my scalp, the oils of which transfer to my hair.

Jean, thanks for the sulfate tip. I'll go take a peek right now.

You're dehydrated. Healthy skin and hair wants to be acidic and you're turning it alkaline with all the shampoo. Shampoos actually really bad for hair, so you need to change the way you use it. 1. 1. Conditioner first-

2. Take the tiniest bit of shampoo (a tenth of what you would normally use) and lather it in your hands. Then apply, and massage in, just at the roots. Then rinse everything out.

If your hair is dry but greasy just at the roots, you can take a little baking soda with water and rub it there on the roots, but be careful, do this too much and it will have the same effect as over-shampooing.

If you are really desperate you can rinse your hair in vinegar as this is about as acidic as you can get. Dilute the vinegar or your hair will be greasy.

Most products that combat acne will dry out your skin so much, that even if your skin dehydrated, normal, or dry, it's gonna get oily, on top of that, in an attempt to rehydrate itself. The answer is....wash it less....use less harsh products...more natural things..less chemicals etc..... moisturise... use blotting sheets etc... after a while it will start to get more normal.

Good luck