Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissAngie

Did not get the script I wanted!

I just got back from the derm after waiting a month or so to get in and am pretty disappointed. I have tried nearly every prescription med under the sun and am once again hit with minocycline, benzoyl and differin when I've taken all of them and nothing helped. He said if two months go by and I'm not satisfied, he will put me on Accutane. I was hoping to be on Tane by next month, which this will definitely be screwing up my summer. I currently am waiting on a new referral for a derm to process, but I am still going to get the prescriptions and not use them. Then go back in two months and say hey, look at my skin!

Anyone else have a similar situation, or just generally frustrated when derms don't listen?

Hi,

That was my same feeling about how it works as far as the whole, "seeing if things don't work" to then be prescribed with accutane. I'm Korean so I had a super strong feeling that the pimples that were on my face then, would leave scars (for my case with asian skin) which obviously was my main concern, I don't even think I cared about how I looked with the actual pimples, I mean those will go away, right? Anyhow, my dermatologist gave a ramble on how accutane is the "last resort" pill, and other techniques, products and topical should be implemented first. Obviously since it was my skin you want it to go away asap to prevent scarring so I was down to do the last resort. My acne wasn't too extreme, but as long as the safeguards are taken and all the precautions are acknowledged through the patient, as a dermatologist I would seriously consider what the pros of being on accutane in each particular case would be, while also knowing what could be negative. My main concern would be attacking the acne immediately and efficiently. Sure, it makes sense to figure out what works best as far as products and techniques, but in most cases doing so is only a matter of time at the expense our your skin. It is good thing of a doctor to have actual concern, it just seems with the case of accutane it conflicts with the patients interests to that of the doctors.

My good friend since I was very little, he had super nice skin, then had his case of teenage acne but bam! went on accutane and I seriously think he only had bad acne for maybe two months, then it trickled down to nothing. Where is he at now? back to his perfect skin, no scarring or brown spots, hyperpigmentation or any sort of blemish (i'm not sure what else he did). He told me his dad had baadd acne when he was young, and then eventually I think went on accutane and I'm assuming thought would be ideal for his kids (my friend and his older brother who did the same thing, go on accutane) when they get acne. Anyhow all of them have near perfect skin now. I think his dad has a few pockmarks but very minute with overall appearance.

Anyhow, long reply but just thought it's funny how we are willing to do such risks (apparently, accutane has long term effects on your liver. My friend said you have to sign some waiver to be prescribed) with the intention to gain better looking skin. I personally think it's funny how skin is like my number one priority (Lol) next to doing well in school right now, but it's such a superficial thing. Obviously this whole website community is founded on the fact that it is important, which I agree it just sucks that is the case. I wonder if in medieval ages they even gave a shit about pimples, or if acne was even invented back then.

Hey UC 951, you go to UC Riverside huh? As for MissAngie, how do you know they wont work if you arent giving them a chance? Whats the point of filling the prescriptions if you arent going to use them? If hypothetically you were to get the prescription now, your summer would be shot anyways. Most people continue to break out on Accutane all the way to the 4th or 5th month. Dont stress about not getting it this month. It wont make a difference if you get it next month.

UC 951: Thanks for the reply! Your story about your friend and his dad were nice to read, as it really boosted my confidence in Accutane. Sure, not everyone benefits from the same meds, but I've literally tried every med under the sun except for Aczone and Spiro and I am not willing to do one of those before Accutane. I'm trying to make my derm appt. as we speak, but have you ever found that they are hardest to get a hold of when you need them the most?

BFCalumni26: I appreciate your reply, but I think you missed the part where I said I've tried nearly everything prescription med.-wise and and have already tried the mino-diff-BP combo with no results. I am not using a tested regimen that does not work for me. I definitely wouldn't use the word "most" to refer to the amount of people who break out far into their courses, as everyone is different. And as for being frustrated about not getting on Tane earlier? It makes all the difference having acne, and waiting longer is definitely a stressful thing. It's easy to tell others it's not a big deal.

If you were prescribed this combination before, especially from the same dermatologist, I dont understand why he is prescribing it to you again. He should have in your chart that you have tried this regimen already. I can relate to what you are going through since i've been on Accutane 3 times and every time it has come back. My first Accutane treatment was through a dermatologist and back then it was a lot easier to get. The next 2 times were through my dad since he is a doctor, he was able to get those stickers for the prescriptions. I pretty much had to complain to him about my acne since he thinks it is no big deal.

Once the acne subsides, I guess you forget those feelings that are caused by the acne. That is probably why I stopped coming on once my acne was gone. I remember being on this website so long ago and remembering the horrible, self conscious feeling from dreading to go out when you have acne all over your face. I'm not disagreeing with you about the Accutane since it does clear you up 100%, however, I just remember that each time I was on it, it made my face WAY worse in the beginning. The only good thing is that you have the confidence that the drug WILL work and you just have to wait it out while on Accutane. Instead of jumping from medication to medication hoping that it will work, I can see why you want to get on Accutane ASAP.

You dont really mention above but how bad is your acne?

For the above reply.. yup, Riverside it is.

And yeah, I don't know (referring to that family on accutane I stated above) if they break out any much more than they did prior to treatment, I remember though my friend said that his dad every now and then, if he has few pimples/miniature breakout, he will pop a few accutane. Anyhow, I am on doryx which is a minor form of antibiotic acne medication, so I know nothing about accutane only that I probably would've been persistant about getting on it back when my breakout happened. Like I said, I only really know three of these success stories however I did read one story on here how I guess there is a risk to make your acne worse? =[ hmm... Anyhow, good luck with it. Everybody has there own level of insecurity about acne and post acne risks on their skin so I understand if your case of acne isn't "the worst case scenario", case... I figure everybodys case, is their own worst case. I remember when I was in high school, I was super depressed because I had like a two or three pimples that stayed and I popped which left very minor pock mocks on my cheeck (minor looking back) and how I thought everybody could see them haha. Now, things are different and I wish I had the skin I had then, the time when I hated my skin.

... and have already tried the mino-diff-BP combo with no results. ...

How long did you try it?

I agree UC951, very well said about every one is their worst case of acne. What year are you UC 951? I did my undergrad at Riverside and now my MBA there. The ridiculous warm weather here makes my face all oily and I think it exacerbates my acne.

I agree UC951, very well said about every one is their worst case of acne. What year are you UC 951? I did my undergrad at Riverside and now my MBA there. The ridiculous warm weather here makes my face all oily and I think it exacerbates my acne.

I'm a third year. I'm not sure if I want to graduate next year (senior) or stay and do o chem, bio and physics. I did general chem and met a few fellow pre-med students and learned sort of what is takes to get to med school, in a nut shell.

Despite my bad skin, I honestly always have an interest to become (I know easier said than done, but the intent to become rather) a dermatologist. So there would be a lot off hard work needed, but I would want to specialize in skin disorders and diseases and help others. At least in my experience its the patient.customer care that dermatologists lack. They either seem too fake or just ready to sell you short. Anyhow, I think it would be nice to good-heartily help others with their insecurities.

I don't know what I want to do though. I even looked into the MBA program here. It seemed nice, but I don't know how reputable it is. How do you like it? and what did it sort of take for you to get where you are now? UCR is having a med school about the time if I were to stay longer. It would be interesting if the first class had any way to weasel their way in. I think UC Irvine has a decent dermatology program from what I've seen on their website, ha.

... and have already tried the mino-diff-BP combo with no results. ...

How long did you try it?

I used that combo for about six months. Topicals mess up my skin as its sensitive, and I told my derm that. I understand that he doesn't want to throw away Accutane at just anybody, but now he's moving in July (didn't bother to tell me!) and I'm going to see a new derm in a couple weeks. I'm just afraid she won't want to prescribe Tane and I will be back to square one trying to get it. Oh, and I have moderate skin that has not seen improvement by any topical or antibiotic.