Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
haleystar

severe cystic & nodular acne posses slight problem....

ok so here is the skinny. i have been an avid follower of this site (not regimine) but of the site for many years and have found it to be VERY helpful.

prior to pregnancy i was using benzaclin in the morning after a mild facial soap and at night i was using tazorac gel in the evening followed by a mild facial soap. i would use the benzaclin on spot at night as a "spot treatment" and that seemed to help. orally (as my form of acne does not respond well to topicals alone) i was taking adoxa 500mg once daily in the morning.

this was working WONDERS for me and would only get a few cycsts/nodules around that time of the month. well not anymore.

DH and i did NOT plan this pregnancy so it was a surprise to find out that i was pregnant. i stopped using all of the prescription stuff and stuck with over the counter products containing bp since that is safe in pregnancy. well around week 10 of the pregnancy the cycstic acne just kept getting bigger and bigger, more pus filled, harder and more and more painful.

as it stands now each morning i wake up with 1 or 2 small to outrageously sized new bump on my face. mostly in my t-zone, forehead, between the eyes, nose area, above the upper lip, line creases from smiling and all around the chin. what i get on my cheeks has been small whiteheads, no big deal.

so treatment for a pregnant woman from my doctors office is this - eryomythicin 250mg 3x daily (i have been on 2x daily for 4 weeks with no improvement so we just added that extra 250mg in hopes that it will make an improvement), topical eryomythicin 2% and azalic azid cream.

sooooo far nothing this working! gah.......she has mentioned that i give goog old accutane another try once my pregnancy is over.

as it stands now i see my derm once to twice a week to get these monsters injected with cortisone so that i can return to being a somewhat functional adult and not spend the entire day with zit cream on crying hoping that what i am doing wll somehow make these "things" go away.

i seriously get so depressed that all i can do is hide and cry for hours. i get panic attacks when i drive to the derms office in fear that they will all say "oh look it's HER again" or when i wash my face because i can't stand the feel of the bumps everywhere. i don't even like moving my mouth or making facial expressions at the moment because the ones i have now as so large and painful that it hurts to move.

so yeah, that's what pregnancy is doing to my body.....er face. what it has/is doing to my body and overall emotional well being is a COMPLETELY different story. yeah, basically pregnancy turns me into a cyst infested nutjob!!!!!

i guess the old saying doesnt hold up....."boys make you feel the most beautiful you ever have" and "girls take away the beauty from the mother".........HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! sooooooo not ture.

although i suppose being pregnant with TWO kids at once makes my case a little more than routine but still.....i am going crazy here!

any advice as to what perscription meds oral and topical might be safe in pregnancy and work better than what i am currently taking???

i am at my wits end here people!

hey read your story and saw the date on your post; its incredible that no one has replied you yet. I am a guy so I can exactly talk on female hormonal acne issues. my reply should push this up to the top of the notice board and hopefully someone gives you some answers if yo havent gotten em already.

hey read your story and saw the date on your post; its incredible that no one has replied you yet. I am a guy so I can exactly talk on female hormonal acne issues. my reply should push this up to the top of the notice board and hopefully someone gives you some answers if yo havent gotten em already.

March '09...Well unless she's an alien, she's had the babies by now. Since she hasn't returned here, maybe the problems have cleared up?