Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this thread and site in general for a while but never commented. I'm a 25 year old female and I developed what I recently realised is perioral dermatitis around 2 years ago. At the time I thought I had just used a product that didn't suit my skin, but it didn't clear up. Looking back on it I know that what caused it was a combination of factors: severe trauma to my skin (really bad sunburn all over my face due to going out on a speedboat on a windy, sunny day and forgetting sunscreen), starting to use mouthwash containing fluoride, birth control pill and light usage of a friend's steroid cream which I thought would help my skin heal faster.

The last couple of years have been really frustrating (as I'm sure anyone suffering from this would agree), mainly because I wasn't really sure what I'd done to cause it and several misdiagnoses from doccors.

The only things that have made a positive difference for me are: stopping using mouthwash and switching to a SLS and fluoride free toothpaste, and easing off the make-up. After a lot of research over the last few days I have also decided to stop drinking fluoridated tapwater and using it to wash my face. This is because even though switching to a non-fluoridated toothpaste helped, the perioral dermatitis persists, and I think that the area affected is just super-sensitive to it at the moment. I've also just started 7.5 mg/g metronidazole today so hopefully all these efforts will culminate in clear skin at the end of the eight weeks!

It is slightly scary that POD is described as a "chronic" condition but fingers crossed! It would be great to hear from anyone who has had success treating POD or has any other ideas...

Thanks for the great threAd and info!!

XX