Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sophiedoll

doxy not working :( help :(

Hi,

i have been taking doxy 50 mg once a day for amonth now ... have had continous awful breakouts :(

i feel like it is getting worse and there is no improvment at all :(

i am going to go bk to the doc this week..

do you have any suggestions?

i am from the UK and its v expensive to see a dermatologist again :(

thnx

:(

You can't really tell whether something is working if you have only been on it for a month. It can take 2-3 months for a product to work on clearing acne. Acne lesions generally take several weeks to form - so the lesions you have now started to develop before you went on the medication. I would give it more time before you give up on the medication.

Are you on any topical treatments in addition to the oral antibiotic?

Yeah, you aren't really going to be able to tell after only a month. Doxy didn't work for me either. I tried Tetracycline and Minocycline and Mino was the one that worked for me. When I stopped my acne got worse so I'm taking it again. Bleh. Antibiotics suck.

From my own experience on antibiotics - it took about 2 months for me to start noticing improvement, so I don't think antibiotics work quickly for everyone. It was true for me on both doxy and tetracyline. Provided things don't continue to worsen, I always recommend erring on the side of allowing a little extra time to decide if something will work for you or not.

I also would recommend that you use some form of treatment in addition to antibiotics. You don't want to be on them forever, and once you go off them your acne may flare if you aren't using any other treatments (such as a retinoid, or antibacterials like BPO or azelaic acid). Antibiotics only kill the bacteria and help reduce inflammation - they don't prevent your pores from clogging up (which is what causes acne in the first place).

thank you so much for the replies.

i am glad to know that i am not the only one who was in this position from taking doxy.

its been a little longer than a month now... so will carry on and see until the pack runs out and im due my next appointment with the doc this week.

whats a retinoid?! would also like to try getting a facial as i have read they are good.... but would be embaressed to take all of my make up off :(

thanks again xx

While I don't like to contradict the advice of those on this thread, I have been taking Lymecycline (an oral antibiotic) for around 12 months now and have seen quite positive results. I was ready to give up taking these after 4-6 weeks when I saw no improvement, but my Dermatologist urged me to continue. She stressed that any improvement would be very gradual and possibly unnoticeable at first and that Antibiotics can take up to 9 months to reach full effiacy (strength) in the body. Many people benefit from combining treatment with topical preparations but this proved not to be the case for me, I just wash twice daily with Cetaphil as my skin is irritated by aggressive acne topicals. Patience is the secret, the waiting may pay off !

thank you so much for the replies.

i am glad to know that i am not the only one who was in this position from taking doxy.

its been a little longer than a month now... so will carry on and see until the pack runs out and im due my next appointment with the doc this week.

whats a retinoid?! would also like to try getting a facial as i have read they are good.... but would be embaressed to take all of my make up off :(

thanks again xx

Retinoids are topical vitamin A treatments - Retin-A, Retin-A Micro, Differin are some of the prescription options. There are also some over the counter retinoids like Vivant Derm A Gel and Green Cream. If you get both inflamed (pustules, cysts) and noninflamed acne (blackheads and closed comedones) - a retinoid might be a good option for you in addition to the antibiotics. If you get more inflamed acne, you may want to wait until after the antibiotics kick in before asking your doctor about it. Once you have the inflammation under control, then you could gradually start adding in a retinoid to help keep your pores from clogging.

There are other topical options that may help as well - glycolic acid, mandelic acid and salicylic all help the skin by either exfoliation on the surface or peeling within the pores (which also helps prevent new clogs from forming and loosens any current acne impactions).