Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redkard

Redkard's Accutane Log/Daily Rant

Howdy ya'll,

I am 25 years old and I will be starting my 2nd course of accutane on Tuesday, March 31, 2009. I will be taking 80mg for 5 months, and I can't wait for it to start - and I can't wait for it to be over. For the next 5 months I plan on updating this log on a daily (realistically, hopefully every other day or so) basis. I know this will be a struggle, both physically and mentally, but I plan on keeping the posts positive by sharing stories/rants/excercise logs/talking sports as well as updating everyone on my progress.

But before I share my next 5 months with you, I'd like to fill you in on the past 5+ years:

I suffered from severe acne during my senior year of high school, and I really didn't even know it. I was never really self conscious about my looks (being a beautiful person has it's perks - haha) but my mom kept commenting on my skin and buying me different stuff to put on my face. Looking back, the pictures are terrifying as I really never had any idea my skin was that bad. (i guess being young and naieve (sp?) has its perks as well) Anyway, my mom scheduled me an appointment with the dr. and he put me on accutane. The next four or five months were hell, I could barely open my mouth, my lips were chapped at all times, and my face was peeling all the time. Unfortunately I did not know much about moisturizers, other than chap stick, so my face was just peeling all the time and I never really put lotion on it. I do remember putting some raspberry smelling hand lotion on my face a few times - I can't imagine how stupid I must have looked!!

Anyway, the tane definitely did its job, and after the treatment I remained clear all the way up to about a month into my freshman year of college. This is when hell really started. Though I never have relapsed to the very severe acne I had in high school, I definitely had cystic acne and plenty of it. I decided to try Pro-Activ. That didn't work. I tried Acne-Free. Didn't work. Sophomore year rolls around and I try Pro-Activ again. Nope. I then came up with my own regimens: scrubbing the sh*t out of my face with body scrub, covering my face with benzoyl peroxide, wiping alcohol all over my face, washing my face with dishwashing liquid, putting aftershave on my face all the time.. the list goes on, I'm sure there were plenty of other ridiculous "fixes" I came up with - all to no avail of course of course.

For whatever reason, senior year of college was when my face was the clearest. I'm not sure if it was because I was tanning a lot or if it was the Clearasil Ultra - but whatever it was it was working decently and I would only have a couple cysts on each side of my jawline and one or two bumps on the face - not bad!

Unfortunately my face hasn't looked that good since then, and here I am a couple years later about to go back on accutane. For years now I have tried and re-tried every regimen on earth, but now it's time to dismiss acne forever, and I cannot wait.

So here I am - and here I will be for the next 5 months. I will update as much as I can with my progress, and like I said I plan on ranting as well to try to keep it positive and our minds off of acne - because I know if you're like me, we think about acne all day everyday - but not for long!

-Redkard

Good luck dude. I am currently on day 12 of my 2nd trip down accutane lane. It really does help knowing what to expect. Im also doing 80 mg a day for 5 months. Finishin up just in time for summer to be almost over...but what ya going to do.

Good luck dude. I am currently on day 12 of my 2nd trip down accutane lane. It really does help knowing what to expect. Im also doing 80 mg a day for 5 months. Finishin up just in time for summer to be almost over...but what ya going to do.

Thanks bro. Good luck to you as well! How's your progress so far? Also, if ya don't mind me asking - what moisturizer are you using?!

Its going all right. Im in the ups and downs of the IB but nothing too out of control. Im really hoping that i react the same way i did last time i was on it. The first three weeks or so sucked but after that it was pretty smooth sailing. So maybe only one more week of this and i can get back to livin it up. As for a moisturizer, I am probly not the best person to ask...my face doesnt really get to the point where it becomes a problem. I just use aveeno before i go to bed. In the morning i will just put some moisturizer on my trouble spots like my nose. Thats about the only area that i have trouble keeping moisturized. My last treatment it was really dry all over until I started using Cetaphil to cleanse with. That helped me the most.

trick, your lucky as sh*t if you don't have to use much moisturizer!! i remember my first time i peeled like crazy!! hopefully it will be less intense this time..?!

So tomorrow will be Day 1 - I can't wait! I really have been waiting for this for a long time now, I can't beleive I'm actually starting this tomorrow!! Good luck me.

As for my daily rant: This march madness has been pretty fun to watch this year, but it's less interesting than I thought it would be. This season was one filled with upsets and number one ranked teams couldn't stay at the top for more than a week - so I thought the tourney would be very similar, with tons of upsets and parody. Turns out I was wrong, as all 4 number one seeds ended up making it to the elite 8, and 2 of them actually made it to the final 4. With 4 teams left, North Carolina is the odds on favorite to win it all, but I'll definitely be rooting for Michigan State and would love to see a big 10 team win it all (i'm obviously a huge Illinois fan)

That's all for today, I'll be back tomorrow as I pop my first pill!!

Day 1: Hello - Goodbye

Hello there, 5 months of severely dried out skin, nosebleeds, IB's, chapped lips, joint pains, muscle aches, constant moisturizing!

Goodbye to you, benzoyl peroxide, salycic acid, shitty regimens, oxy pads, proactiv, skinID, scrubs, masks.

I will pop my first Claravis in just a few minutes, but right now I sorta feel weird. It feels weird starting something that's going to last 150 days, a painful 150 days at that. I do not look forward to the extremely dry skin or muscle aches, but I do look forward to that day in late August when I pop my last accutane. I don't know how to explain it, but it's a really weird feeling - I'm sure most of you that have recently started can relate :)

As for my goodbyes, I'm going to start cleaning out my medicine cabinet in a few minutes - it's going to feel really weird throwing out all the (useless) sh*t that i've bought over the years, and i'm sure each product will draw a certain memory or stage of my life. It's bittersweet, I guess.

Anyway, time to embark on this journey - cheers!

Good luck man...hopefully the time flys for ya.

I can respect a Cardinals fan...my dads one. We do share common grounds on our pure hatred of the Cubs...let their 101 years of losing keep on rollin

Day 2

Lips seem a little drier today, don't know if they actually are or if it's just in my mind. Face is breaking out worse on both sides, but that seems pretty standard since my face was actually in "decent" condition for me when I put the pictures up. Kind of sucks since I planned on going on a small golf trip this weekend to see some old friends, but it's really going to make me want to stick around home if my face keeps getting worse and it starts peeling by the weekend. :/

It's kind of weird, I'm like an emotional roller coaster - at times I say to myself it will be okay, just get thru this and it will all be over in a few months.. then other times I get really down about it and just want to sit in my room. More often than not though I just find myself saying who gives a sh*t!! let's do this!!

Today I do have a rant - What is with professors running long on lectures and going 5-10 minutes past the time when class is supposed to be over? I just got out of class at 7:38, class was supposed to be over at 7:30 - no big deal you say? Yes. Big deal. Class started at 5! So it's like a 2 and a half hour class, right after a long day of OTHER classes - everyone's miserable, tired, hungry - let us out on time for the love of god! Wish I was more of an ass, I would just stand up at 7:31 and walk out :P

Hope everyone is doin well! Peace

Day 3

Nothing new today really, last night before I went to bed I had some very small white heads on my nose and chin, which is unusual for me. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and noticed my nose was very very dry, which is also unusual. I also noticed my joints hurt a little this morning, not sure if that's the tane or if that's from working out yesterday, or both. Oh well, 147 days to go!!

The Bears got Jay Cutler today. Now, I'm not a Bears fan at all really, but I think this is a huge pick up for them. I've always thought they're a solid QB away from being a very dangerous team in the NFC, and now that they have Cutler I think they will be at the top of the NFC for the next few years. They have a very good running back, now they have a very good QB, and they've always had a very solid special teams and defense. Hate to say it, but I kind of look forward to seeing how the Bears do next year!

LATER!

Day 3

Nothing new today really, last night before I went to bed I had some very small white heads on my nose and chin, which is unusual for me. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and noticed my nose was very very dry, which is also unusual. I also noticed my joints hurt a little this morning, not sure if that's the tane or if that's from working out yesterday, or both. Oh well, 147 days to go!!

The Bears got Jay Cutler today. Now, I'm not a Bears fan at all really, but I think this is a huge pick up for them. I've always thought they're a solid QB away from being a very dangerous team in the NFC, and now that they have Cutler I think they will be at the top of the NFC for the next few years. They have a very good running back, now they have a very good QB, and they've always had a very solid special teams and defense. Hate to say it, but I kind of look forward to seeing how the Bears do next year!

LATER!

hey wassup man i too just got started on claravis 2 days ago so we both basically started on the same day and i see that your not a bears fan but im from chicago so ima huge bears fan myself and today just happend to be one of the best days any bears fan could ask for ..finally a quarterback that can go out and win us games and not one that goes out to try not to lose em!! wat teams do u root for??

^^ yeah that's pretty sweet you guys got cutler. hate to say it, but i will be rooting for the bears under my breath next year! me, i'm a Rams fan, so lately i've had to choose other teams to root for when it comes playoff time!! so yeah, i really like the AZ Cardinals (kurt warner ex ram) and i've always loved the Ravens.

thats cool that we're starting around the same time - drop by from time to time and let me know how you're progressing! cheers

Day 4

Nothing new today except for one little whitehead on might right cheek. It's odd, my skin actually looked pretty good today when I woke up. I've been moisturizing at night then going without during the day, so far so good. Would be sweeeeeeeeet if I didn't have an IB, but it will probably happen as soon as I get in my car to go on that golf trip this weekend. :P

So probably won't be posting again until late Sunday, hope everyone has a great weekend!!

^^ yeah that's pretty sweet you guys got cutler. hate to say it, but i will be rooting for the bears under my breath next year! me, i'm a Rams fan, so lately i've had to choose other teams to root for when it comes playoff time!! so yeah, i really like the AZ Cardinals (kurt warner ex ram) and i've always loved the Ravens.

thats cool that we're starting around the same time - drop by from time to time and let me know how you're progressing! cheers

ouch!! must hurt to be a rams fan nowadays lol i too use to like the rams back when they were "the greatest show on turf" but yea man its always good to have someone start accutane around the same time to be able to see how its working for other ppl so far for me i havnt notice much difference nor was i expecting anything right off the bat but within time im hoping for great results

Day 6

Just got home from a long weekend - went and visited my old college town and played golf saturday with my best friend. I drank way too much yesterday, we started drinking on the golf course around 8:30 am and really didn't stop until 1am - redic! Oh well it was fun, but I'm paying for it now. I really don't drink like a madman or anything, just usually once or twice a week, but I'm definitely going to try to limit it to once a week while on accutane. However, I WILL be drinking tomorrow night for the national championship game!!

As for my progress, my skin is finally starting to peel a little bit. I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror and I had dry skin peeling all over my face. I didn't moisturize before bed last night (in fact I just passed out like a drunk tard) so that could be why. Friday night after I got out of the shower it felt like my face was on fire. Also, my face was very red all weekend like I've been tanning or something, which is pretty weird considering I really haven't been out in the sun at all. Yeah, we did golf saturday morning but my face was tan looking before I even stepped outside - very weird. As for actual active spots, my skin actually doesn't look TOO bad today, I'll put some pictures up soon but definitely not having a terrible IB or anything yet.

Anyway, almost one week down!!

Day 8

lips keep getting dryer, forehead is starting to peel a lot, and every morning i wake up with 2-3 whiteheads, which is pretty unusual for me. also noticed that i'm starting to break out a bit on my forhead, which is also pretty unusual since i usually just break out on my cheeks/neck/jawline.

UNC won the title last night in a pretty sh*tty game. I was rooting for Michigan State, so obviously the outcome wasn't what I wanted, but good lord the officiating was bad and the game was just hard to watch. Every single time down the floor there was a foul or a turnover or some sloppy play, which made the game almost unwatchable - which sucks, because I thought last year's game was one of the best championship games ever (that I've witnessed). UNC was just a better team than MSU, and it showed - but I do think that MSU got away from their style of play and played right into the gameplan of UNC. Anyway, congrats UNC fans!

Day 8

lips keep getting dryer, forehead is starting to peel a lot, and every morning i wake up with 2-3 whiteheads, which is pretty unusual for me. also noticed that i'm starting to break out a bit on my forhead, which is also pretty unusual since i usually just break out on my cheeks/neck/jawline.

UNC won the title last night in a pretty sh*tty game. I was rooting for Michigan State, so obviously the outcome wasn't what I wanted, but good lord the officiating was bad and the game was just hard to watch. Every single time down the floor there was a foul or a turnover or some sloppy play, which made the game almost unwatchable - which sucks, because I thought last year's game was one of the best championship games ever (that I've witnessed). UNC was just a better team than MSU, and it showed - but I do think that MSU got away from their style of play and played right into the gameplan of UNC. Anyway, congrats UNC fans!

i agree 100% with u man...i was also rooting for msu and the game got outta hand pretty early but then again unc did have the more talented team..the game sucked ehh at least we have baseball coming up..today my white sox vs royals..GO SOX!!

WOW. Crazy how big a difference 12-24 hours can make. I just got out of the shower, getting ready to go to bed - and WOWOWOWOW is my face breaking out like crazy. Just last night my face looked the best it's looked in probably 2 months, then all of a sudden I take a shower and shave tonight and it looks like all these tiny red bumps are popping up out of nowhere. It's pretty frustrating, Wednesdays are terrible days as it is since I have class all the way until 7:30 at night.. now it's just gonna be even worse.

It's kind of weird, in the shower I was just reflecting on all the times I'd be washing my face in the shower, pissed off about my skin and wondering if it will ever stop.. and I was thinking now it's not a big deal, I'm getting cured and everything will be okay - then I get out of the shower and glance in the mirror and I about sh*t myself and immediately start having anxiety about having a long day tomorrow and just wanting to crawl in a hole.

This has really been an emotional roller coaster, but at the end of the day I WILL smile and be happy knowing that in just a few months this will all be over. :dance:

Day 9

Had trouble sleeping last night. Could have seen it coming since I freaked out after I got out of the shower last night because my face broke out like crazy - but that really wasn't the cause, I fell asleep fine but then woke up around 3:30am and my face was itching like CRAZY. Seriously like driving me nuts because it was so itchy. I tried my best not to touch it, and I finally fell asleep about an hour later but that really sucked.

Anyway I woke up this morning and had 7-8 new small whiteheads popped up, which is a bit of a change from the 2-3 I was getting for the last few days. Anyway, I popped those bishes out because sorry, there's no way I'm heading to class with small white heads all over. As for other side effects, my skin is still pretty dry but it's not TOO bad yet and I've been keeping it super hydrated at night with eucerin then putting cetaphil on in the morning. My nose has been pretty dry too, but not unbearable or anything.

Soooo, long day today - classes til 7:30. But that's okay, because THE DUEL starts tonight on MTV and I can't wait to watch that. I love those shows!!!

Peace out,

Redkard

Day 10

Day 10, so I guess I only have to do this 15 more times then I'm done?! That's not too bad!

Skins still breaking out like crazy, I'm having these weird little white heads all over the place, especially right when I wake up. There weird because, 1) i never really have a bunch of white heads all over, my acne is pretty cystic for the most part.. and 2) there's like nothing to them. usually when you get a white head you can pop it and a lot of gunk will come out, but with these guys nothing really comes out - weird. However, I have checked a few (a lot) of other logs on here and it seems like a lot of people who have acne like mine (moderate/cystic) all have the same initial breakouts - and they all happen around the 8-9th day of the course. Now, my 'study' wasn't too extensive, but I would be very curious to see how similar the progress/results are with people who have similar acne. I came up with this idea because I was reading one girl's blog and she had similar acne like mine, and her first 10 days or so were almost IDENTICAL to mine.

Anyway, other than the tiny/numerous white heads on a daily basis, my scalp has become EXTREMELY itchy. I've never had dandruff in my life, but I looked in the mirror when I got home from class yesterday and I had flakes all over in my hair - SEXY!

Today I was very brave and decided to go to my morning class without moisturizing. It turned out okay, which is weird because other days my skin is very flaky when I get out of the shower.. But I've been moisturzing the sh*t (is that possible?) out of my face at night, so I think it might just carry over a bit thru the day. It would be awesome if I didn't have to moisturize every morning - I hate the feeling and the look of it!

This weekend (3 day weekend w00t w00t) I'm gonna take it pretty easy, hopefully just relax a lot, sleep a lot, and hopefully not drink at all - but who knows, I usually get bored on long weekends and decide to drink at least one day :P

Anyway, I'm outties for now.

Day 11

Happy Friday! Well, wasn't such a happy friday when I woke up and looked in the mirror - yikes!! I seriously keep getting more and more white heads every single morning.. and like I said, they're those tiny little white heads that really dont have much substance to them, I just pop them and nothing comes out, it's like they just peel off or something and leave a red mark behind. Whatever. I counted this morning when I woke up and I had 24 of those things on my face this morning. 24!!!!!!!! what the hell??!?!

Anyway, this is the 2nd straight day I haven't put any moisturizer on my face in the morning - and again today my skin wasn't peeling or anything. So that's good I guess, I just hate putting the lotion on in the morning, I would love it if I could just keep moisturizing at night and not worrying about it during the day.

So like I said, I think I'm just gonna take it easy this weekend, chill out and watch the master's and baseball. Hope everyone has a great weekend!