Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
femme_fatale

What are the benefits of the IPL laser? Does it do anything for scars?

Hi everyone. I'll give a quick summary of my skin history and then I'd appreciate some advice. When I was almost 19 I suddenly broke out in cystic acne leaving me with red marks and within a year I had formed shallow scarring all over my cheeks. I had not known what to do with the red marks so I had been applying benzamycin to those areas (benzoyl peroxide mixed with erythromycin) which may have caused the scarring as I have heard that benzoyl peroxide delays the healing process. It took years for my skin to smooth out but I was still left with pigmentation and by the time I was 23 24 my skin had gotten pretty decent so with makeup I looked like I had pretty nice skin but this was the result of having used chemical peels (lactic acid) that I did at home. I made the mistake of switching to glycolic last year and that created three big scars.

I have now had one profractional laser and five Sciton Microlaser peels to smooth out my skin. My forehead, nose and chin and the sides of my face and areas by my nose are smooth and flawless so it is the centres of my cheeks pretty much the cheekbone area that has some scarring. The lasers have improved my skin by 60-65 percent. Every four weeks we do a procedure and my skin keeps improving but it is taking forever obviously and I can get a bit impatient as I wish they would speed things up.

My derm and his staff believe in taking off very little skin at a time for each procedure so as to not damage the surrounding skin tissue or to thin out my skin too much. My redness in those areas has decreased dramatically as well. My derm wants me to take a bit of a break and are suggesting an IPL treatment for my next session but my question is does this have any improvement on scarring at all? Also I have noticed that as my skin is getting smoother the redness is disappearing itself. I am almost 26 and have no lines or wrinkles and people think I am 20. My only concern is smoothing out the three big scars in particular and the indents I had are now looking like scarred pores and are almost completely matching up with the rest of my skin, so that part of my face looks like it's almost going to be completely smooth within a few months.

I just want those big scars gone. It is so annoying trying to cover it up with makeup. So should I go with IPL for my next treatment or carry on with the laser resurfacing? I have been told that I will have to eventually take at least one month off from the laser resurfacing so I am debating when to do that.

IPL (which I've had many times, and is actually why I now have scars as an incompetent jerk misused the device) is for redness and pigment. It will do nothing for scars in terms of depth. Their are claims that it helps with collagen, but this is under a microscope and does not lead to any significant difference in a person's skin appearance. Hope that helps

IPL (which I've had many times, and is actually why I now have scars as an incompetent jerk misused the device) is for redness and pigment. It will do nothing for scars in terms of depth. Their are claims that it helps with collagen, but this is under a microscope and does not lead to any significant difference in a person's skin appearance. Hope that helps

I'm terribly sorry to hear that. The reason I'm curious about it is because after my series of laser peels I have noticed that the color in those scarred portions has subsided but sometimes when i wash my face with cold water it turns super red and then within 10-15 minutes the color drops down to a light pink now. My scars and the pigment seem to be going hand in hand and I am wondering if an IPL treatment might help with some tinier issues ( i have a few scarred pores and three big scars left basically). What my skin looked like a year ago and what it looks like today there is a remarkable difference in pigment and texture.

I also use natural oil cleansing methods now which may also be helping. My skin is super soft now. I highly recommend some individuals trying jojoba oil and dhc cleansing oil. I also use a jojoba and aloe vera moisturizer now every night.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that. The reason I'm curious about it is because after my series of laser peels I have noticed that the color in those scarred portions has subsided but sometimes when i wash my face with cold water it turns super red and then within 10-15 minutes the color drops down to a light pink now.

I recognize that. My scar looks light red most of the time now, but sometimes (when I blush or when there's been a big temperature change) it's like a dark burgundy color which really sucks. Fortunately, it's only for an hour or so until it's back to normal but I feel terrible when it happens. :(

In any case, the only thing I know about IPL is that it's able to go deeper than other lasers, like the Vbeam, for instance. A dermatologist told me that. She used IPL on people's legs because the skin is thick there. She was able to achieve better results with Vbeam but that's solely what she found. I don't know much else regarding IPL.

I highly recommend some individuals trying jojoba oil and dhc cleansing oil. I also use a jojoba and aloe vera moisturizer now every night.

Thanks for the advice. :)

I think I will try an IPL session and I will report back here with my results. My skin could definitely use a break from all the laser peeling anyways. My dermatologist told me that for some individuals an IPL treatment does stimulate collagen and if there is a reduction in color the skin in that area can get smoother, and again for some individuals. It depends on everyone's skin. I have just noticed throughout my years of breakouts if I got a scar it would be red, shallow in depth, and once the redness disappeared completely the skin in that area completely smoothed out. All my scars have a color to them, which is my I'm so hopeful!

I hope I see some good results! If it works for me it might work for others.

And I have also found that I break out far less if at all now because I have been using Desert Essence Jojoba Oil, Dhc Cleansing Oil, and Desert Essence Jojoba and Aloe Moisturizer. I prefer the moisturizer the most though. It dissolves into your skin and doesn't leave an oily residue behind and my skin is getting more glowy now.