Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Namaste

beginning paleo diet

my acne got significantly better by improving my diet, but i'm feeling as if veganism just isn't doing my body the best. i'm pretty certain i'm a bit intolerant to soy along with a few other things. i also used to be crazy about sweets and carbs(being vegan was healthier than not, but regardless, that crap isn't going to do my body any good). i just started the change yesterday. are there any veteran paleo dieters that might be able to give me some tips, and perhaps even when you began seeing and feeling the difference of the diet? thanks guys. much luck to all.

i stopped breaking out mostly after maybe 5 months but i messed up by using too many topicals to fade the red marks and my skin went nuts. since then my acne has been a steady few new a day. to really think about it though, i was consuming soy milk, soy protein burgers and dogs, whole wheat bread, honey and raw sugar, and lots of homemade baked goods (never using white flour though). that's a lot of processed crap (even though it's much better than white bread sweetened with HFCS and covered with cream-based frosting, it's still not found in the wild). i think the cut back on grains and sugars will do me a lot of good. it takes a lot of grains and legumes to get ample protein and meat gets me at that quota pretty quick.

My diet for the most part is paleo but I allow low-carbohydrate dairy products. I've been eating this way for more than a year now.

A switch from a vegan diet to a paleo diet is quite a big one. They're basically polar opposites in the diet spectrum. I'm positive that most anyone can be healthy consuming a paleo diet, but I would give your body an adjustment period. Make sure you can digest meat well before you start eating pounds of it every week.

Try to keep variety high to prevent boredom. Don't worry about little things that may not be technically paleo-friendly: if eating roasted, salted almonds instead of plain almonds helps you stick to the diet, then go for it.

Foods to have around: eggs, meat, avocado, coconut oil to saute stuff in, nuts and seeds of your choice (and get them fresh ground into butters if you want), seafood, frozen berries (or fresh, if you go through them quickly enough), salad greens.

I also suggest choosing fatty cuts of meat rather than extra-lean ones.

Hope this helps, maybe I'll think of more stuff later.

Oh, and your other question: I started feeling great after just after a few days on the diet. I previously had a carb addiction, and the paleo diet was the first diet where I wasn't constantly thinking about food. I also had improved digestion and just increased positive mood.

thanks for your advice :) a few times over the past month i've consumed some meat and didn't notice any adverse affects. you're right though, i shouldn't just start eating pounds of meat right after my vegan diet, regardless of the few times i ate some and was fine. i must say that today was a full on paleo eating and i had a lot of energy, way more than usual. i also noticed that i didn't care much to think about food in between eating like i usually would.

a brief question, is olive oil bad to cook with? i've read contradicting statements regarding it. do you know if it would be effective to cook with coconut milk instead of oil? i use the canned stuff cause it's very thick and creamy, thicker than whipping cream(i used to be addicted to that stuff).

thanks again. this is very helpful.

a brief question, is olive oil bad to cook with? i've read contradicting statements regarding it. do you know if it would be effective to cook with coconut milk instead of oil? i use the canned stuff cause it's very thick and creamy, thicker than whipping cream(i used to be addicted to that stuff).

Olive oil rancidizes quickly when it's raised to high temperatures. You might be able to get away with cooking temperatures less than 250°F, but I would recommend using a more stable oil, like coconut oil.

Coconut milk can denfitely be used in cooking to good effect, but it's not a direct replacement for other cooking oil.

i stopped breaking out mostly after maybe 5 months but i messed up by using too many topicals to fade the red marks and my skin went nuts. since then my acne has been a steady few new a day. to really think about it though, i was consuming soy milk, soy protein burgers and dogs, whole wheat bread, honey and raw sugar, and lots of homemade baked goods (never using white flour though). that's a lot of processed crap (even though it's much better than white bread sweetened with HFCS and covered with cream-based frosting, it's still not found in the wild). i think the cut back on grains and sugars will do me a lot of good. it takes a lot of grains and legumes to get ample protein and meat gets me at that quota pretty quick.

Yes, that is way too much processed crap. Why not just eat real food? Why go to extreme opposites?

thanks, rakbs. i had in my head that if olive oil was unhealthy to cook with, maybe all oil was.

Yes, that is way too much processed crap. Why not just eat real food? Why go to extreme opposites?

I like to make my own clarified butter (ghee) to saute stuff in. Coconut oil tastes too sweet to me sometimes and I like the variety. It's about just as stable as coconut oil in high heat. As a rule, I don't use vegetable oils in anything, or in any way. I've tested it, and it breaks me out like nothing else!

I heat two sticks of butter in a bowl in the oven until it's completely melted; and then I skim off the milk solids with a spoon. The rest of it is just a really pretty transparent gold color; I pour it into a jar and keep it in the fridge. After about a month, the ghee ages and it smells alot like Parmesan Cheese!

I love making my own stuff :wub:

I doubt you got clear being a vegan. If so you are the first to get clear from just not eating meat (though you admit you cheated a few times). Though I am a vegan and can't understand how someone could CHEAT eating animals if they're vegan...Maybe you are just growing out of it. Isn't that an option?

a brief question, is olive oil bad to cook with? i've read contradicting statements regarding it. do you know if it would be effective to cook with coconut milk instead of oil?

You can do some quick sauteeing with olive oil. Heat the pan first, then add oil and food. You can also cook in water or broth. See whfoods.org for their 'healthy saute' method and recipes.

deadonfive, that sounds delicious. you just use regular butter and after skimming off the solids that collect on top you leave it be to age in the fridge for a month? i'm going to have to try that :)

bloodcries, when i went vegan i also gave up white foods, hfcs, caffeine, and anything very processed, but i used to chainsmoke, do a lot of drugs, and literally live off of nothing but meat, dairy and junk food of any kind-the unhealthier the better (btw i got clean and sober 11 months ago too, no more cigarettes or coffee either). it was a huge improvement for me. i got pretty into animal rights and only cheated when i started doing an elimination diet and realized i was intolerant to soy. i've watched so many peta videos that every night i lay down i get awful images of the terrible conditions they endure so i'm going to find a farm/local butcher that doesn't mass produce and get my meat from there. i feel awful about taking life to sustain mine, but i feel my body needs this.

thanks, alternativista. i've always thought about just using water but wasn't sure how well it would work out.

deadonfive, that sounds delicious. you just use regular butter and after skimming off the solids that collect on top you leave it be to age in the fridge for a month? i'm going to have to try that :)

bloodcries, when i went vegan i also gave up white foods, hfcs, caffeine, and anything very processed, but i used to chainsmoke, do a lot of drugs, and literally live off of nothing but meat, dairy and junk food of any kind-the unhealthier the better (btw i got clean and sober 11 months ago too, no more cigarettes or coffee either). it was a huge improvement for me. i got pretty into animal rights and only cheated when i started doing an elimination diet and realized i was intolerant to soy. i've watched so many peta videos that every night i lay down i get awful images of the terrible conditions they endure so i'm going to find a farm/local butcher that doesn't mass produce and get my meat from there. i feel awful about taking life to sustain mine, but i feel my body needs this.

thanks, alternativista. i've always thought about just using water but wasn't sure how well it would work out.

Hi! Yes I just use Giant's brand of organic unsalted butter, nothing that fancy. You don't have to let the ghee age, the only reason that I found out about the cheese-smell was because I made a really big batch about a month ago and there's still a little left. I need to make a new batch soon, I can create a post and include pictures if anyone would like that.

Congratulations on getting clean, too!!!

Hi! Yes I just use Giant's brand of organic unsalted butter, nothing that fancy. You don't have to let the ghee age, the only reason that I found out about the cheese-smell was because I made a really big batch about a month ago and there's still a little left. I need to make a new batch soon, I can create a post and include pictures if anyone would like that.

Congratulations on getting clean, too!!!

thanks. i'm going to the store in a few hours so i'll have to pick some up. i did have a stick of butter in my fridge and prepared it the way you mentioned and there was an accumulation of something on the bottom as well so i strained it. have you ever noticed that occurring? i'm not sure how natural the butter i used is either.

thank you so much :) it was the best thing i ever did. after six years of being chained to my nonsensical addictions i freed myself and i have my acne to thank quite a bit for that.

If the butter doesn't boil, the cream will settle to the bottom, that way you can just pour off the clarified golden butter on the top and discard the cream. If it gets hot enough, the cream will froth to the top and you can skin it off with a spoon. I just microwave an individual knob of butter for thirty seconds and pour the clarified butter for cooking. Watch the microwave if you use this method to figure out how much time it takes. You should hear bubbling and then stop it so it doesn't start to spit.

ahhh that makes sense. i put it in a toaster oven on 400 for maybe 10ish minutes. definitely wasn't boiling. i don't fancy the microwave, seems unnatural. it depletes significantly more nutrients that any other method even when cooked at the same temperature. i'll try stovetop and see how that works. thanks for the tip.

I would rather suffer than take an innocent live to sustain my own. Maybe that is what "natural selection" is, but I don't like it. And I don't care if that is fucking nature. I will only kill if the thing deserves to die (human included if I could get away with it). But innocent humans/animals/insects should not be killed under any circumstance in my opinion.

I would rather suffer than take an innocent live to sustain my own. Maybe that is what "natural selection" is, but I don't like it. And I don't care if that is fucking nature. I will only kill if the thing deserves to die (human included if I could get away with it). But innocent humans/animals/insects should not be killed under any circumstance in my opinion.

In my opinion we've formed a fair trade-off with livestock. We feed them, let them reproduce, and protect them from predation, and in return get meat, dairy and other materials from them. The ultimate purpose of any species is to reproduce, and we're letting them do that.

In my opinion we've formed a fair trade-off with livestock. We feed them, let them reproduce, and protect them from predation, and in return get meat, dairy and other materials from them. The ultimate purpose of any species is to reproduce, and we're letting them do that.

What!!! A century ago, maybe. Not necessarily though, and definitely not today. We feed them wrong, treat them wrong. They are sickly and miserable and unhealthy for our consumption. And the ones that get butchered for our consumption are the lucky ones. The unlucky ones are the ones are the breeding cows and sows. Especially sows. Pigs really get the worst deal. And they are very intelligent animals.

And we don't 'let' them reproduce. We make them reproduce.

What!!! A century ago, maybe. Not necessarily though, and definitely not today. We feed them wrong, treat them wrong. They are sickly and miserable and unhealthy for our consumption. And the ones that get butchered for our consumption are the lucky ones. The unlucky ones are the ones are the breeding cows and sows. Especially sows. Pigs really get the worst deal. And they are very intelligent animals.

You're going beyond the scope of my comment. The person I quoted claimed that nothing "innocent" should be "killed under any circumstance", strongly implying that even well-treated, well-fed farm animals should not be killed for consumption, which is the only thing I disagreed with. I feel that even animals on battery farms are getting a deal, but I do wish they could be treated better.

And we don't 'let' them reproduce. We make them reproduce.

But the point is that they get to reproduce.

my acne got significantly better by improving my diet, but i'm feeling as if veganism just isn't doing my body the best. i'm pretty certain i'm a bit intolerant to soy along with a few other things. i also used to be crazy about sweets and carbs(being vegan was healthier than not, but regardless, that crap isn't going to do my body any good). i just started the change yesterday. are there any veteran paleo dieters that might be able to give me some tips, and perhaps even when you began seeing and feeling the difference of the diet? thanks guys. much luck to all.

Why switching from vegan to paleo?

It seems like an extreme and unecessary change (the restrictiveness of paleo is just not necessary, merely used to support an ideology)

I would first improve your vegan diet. Like pre and post exercise nutrition, or the amount of carbs or refined carbs you consume, veggie intake and your protein sources, calories and timing. When you start restricting food groups it becomes more necessary to control what you eat in order to have an ample nutritional spectrum.

I would then switch to a vegetarian diet eating eggs and cheese. I like cottage cheese, mozzarella, cream cheese, swiss cheese, cheddar, greek yogurt ... never found a proof they're affecting my body or hormones or digestion negatively nor that the theory that we're all intolerant to dairy is true.

From that I would begin, if needed, to reintroduce fish and maybe meat.

I don't agree with the crazy sociobiological theory that we're here to reproduce, it's pure circular reasoning. Reproduction seems more a "right" to me than a "duty". We reproduce because we enjoy life and want others to experience that. When animals feels depressed (i.e. captivity) and don't think their life is worth living, they stop reproducing, they kill themselves, they stop believing in making future living beings experience that kind of life not worth living they're experiencing. Sociobiologists (pseudo scientists) believe in these crazy just-so stories, but they never act accordingly, never act as if their "duty" on earth is to make children. They, like anyone else, want to enjoy life, possess an edonistic instinct and abandon to creativity, pleasure, adventure and lot of projects which have nothing to do with reproducing. There are lot of human beings in this world who never had children, will never have children or not believe in having children and never for a second I will believe their life is useless and they gave nothing to life and this world. Nor I believe spirituality and the unknown can be ruled out by a model of enquiry which require a material context automatically becoming impermeable to whatever other form of knowledge, perception and evidence. If we send a Blueray 30 years in the past with a time machine, I hope people won't reach the conclusion that Bluray is devoid of data just because it can't be read by vcrs or whatever other device they possess.

I don't agree with the crazy sociobiological theory that we're here to reproduce, it's pure circular reasoning. Reproduction seems more a "right" to me than a "duty". We reproduce because we enjoy life and want others to experience that. When animals feels depressed (i.e. captivity) and don't think their life is worth living, they stop reproducing, they kill themselves,

Do they really?

There are lot of human beings in this world who never had children, will never have children or not believe in having children and never for a second I will believe their life is useless and they gave nothing to life and this world.

Nor me. All I said was that the ultimate purpose of any species is to reproduce and create the next generation. Plenty of individuals either don't reproduce, or can't, but can still find a great sense of purpose in their life, and can still fulfill a purpose for their life.

And I was talking about livestock, rather than human beings.

I hope my post doesn't make the assertion that humans are worthless if they can't reproduce. That's not how I think at all.

Do they really?

I have heard of it happening on zoos and batteries. I remember a book which showed how bisexuality, drug use and suicide are spread in the whole animal kingdom and common animal behaviors. Animals kill themselves by refusing to eat or drink, refusing to swim when in water, throwing themselves against bars, doors or from cliffs and trees.

You're going beyond the scope of my comment. The person I quoted claimed that nothing "innocent" should be "killed under any circumstance", strongly implying that even well-treated, well-fed farm animals should not be killed for consumption, which is the only thing I disagreed with. I feel that even animals on battery farms are getting a deal, but I do wish they could be treated better.

It's really mind boggling to me that you consider this a good deal.

Besides, only some 'get' to reproduce over and over and over by artificial insemination. Most don't. They just have short, miserable, unhealthy lives, then they are butchered.

It's downright immoral how the animals are treated. I'm still on a quest for a nice, small farm that wouldn't mind showing me around and allowing me to buy some fresh meat. At least then I can go back to not supporting the meat industry, though this time around I'm going to still consume meat. I'm alright with the occasional yogurt (the probiotics are my main enjoyment) but dairy in general still seems very unnatural to me.

Perhaps I should've given a brief overview on how my acne went from mild/moderate to full-blown out of control within a few months. Forgive how forward I'm going to be: I used to have an awful diet, as mentioned above, drank an average of 7 cups of sugary, creamed up coffee a day, pack of cigarettes, more Adderall than prescribed, along with alcohol and cocaine (I'm only mentioning the ones I feel had a significant, negative impact on my skin). I started doing heroin and after 3 months my skin was horrendous. One day when I was wondering how it was so bad, I was eating a poppy seed muffin and within an hour my skin started tingling all over and I developed a few very deep, painful pimples (the tingly feeling was always there when I was on heroin, I just thought it was part of the high). I realized I was very allergic to poppy seeds and I was loading it into my body 3-4 times a week, on average, for 3 months. That's when I realized how awful I'd been to myself and everyone around me and got clean and sober and jumped into a health kick, shortly after I went vegan.