Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
White Fox

Don't take Vitamin B5 in high doses

This is just a warning call for those of you considering the Vitamin B5 route. I took Vitamin B5 for six months. I slowly upped the dosage and slowly reduced it before i quit.

February 2008 - B5: First week: 1 gram of B5. Second week: 5 grams B5. Third/fourth week: 10 grams B5

March 2008 - B5: 10 grams each day

April 2008 - B5: 10 grams each day

May 2008 - B5: 8,5 grams each day for 15 days then 7 grams the rest of the month

June 2008 - B5: 5 grams

July 2008 - B5: 3 grams for 10 days, 2 grams for 10 days and 1 gram for 10 days

After three months my face was clear, but it didn't do much for my body acne/pityrosporum folliculitis. After a while(5 months-->) I started noticing stomach problems. Very frequent bathroom visits, diarrhea, digestion problems and cramps after eating. This has only gotten worse and I still have the stomach problems. I'm not going to kill myself or anything it just kinda worries me that it has only gotten worse after quitting B5. If B5 was a permanent fix I would probably be okay with these side effects, but my facial acne slowly crept back after stopping the vitamin.

Just be warned that taking megadoses of B5 isn't necessarily safe just because you read online that it's water soluble. The thread in this section about B5 should be unstickied, taking 10 grams of B5 a day has nothing to do with clearing up your acne a natural way. I was a fool for trying it.

And, if anyone has any recommandations regarding my stomach and digestion problems don't hesitate to reply!

You have to consider other things as well, like what brand you were taking, what foods you were eating, etc. I took 10 grams a day for 2 years straight without ever having any of the problems you mentioned. People don't realize that B5 isn't a cure and if your diet isn't healthy you really aren't going to improve things much, including bad relapses. I know the term "healthy" as far as diet is concerned is debatable, but no one should take B5 as if it were a magic pill.

I realized that I could supplement it in far lower dosages if I ate what I deem to be healthy to me (low carb). I don't take it any more because I'm experimenting with other things but B5 worked wonders for me, if anything I look at it as temporary "relief".

You have to consider other things as well, like what brand you were taking, what foods you were eating, etc. I took 10 grams a day for 2 years straight without ever having any of the problems you mentioned. People don't realize that B5 isn't a cure and if your diet isn't healthy you really aren't going to improve things much, including bad relapses. I know the term "healthy" as far as diet is concerned is debatable, but no one should take B5 as if it were a magic pill.

I realized that I could supplement it in far lower dosages if I ate what I deem to be healthy to me (low carb). I don't take it any more because I'm experimenting with other things but B5 worked wonders for me, if anything I look at it as temporary "relief".

Yes, I know most people don't get any problems with B5. I just wanted people to know that Vitamin B5 can cause some permanent side effects and that it definitly won't cure your acne forever.

Sure, nothing will cure peoples acne until they grow out of it, if they do.

Also, what did you take as well? Did you take a B-Complex and a super Multivitamin?

Sure, nothing will cure peoples acne until they grow out of it, if they do.

Also, what did you take as well? Did you take a B-Complex and a super Multivitamin?

Accutane cures some people, diet cures some people...

I took a b-complex twice every day and fish oil.