Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jgirl555

New Member; just started spiro

Hey everyone,

I just started spiro at 75 mg a day for consistent acne around my mouth. I dont get acne anywhere else and had always had clear skin. I am hoping that this drug works for me! And advice? I was on YAZ but wanting to switch because it costs me 50$ a month!

My advice is give it time. I could tell something was different with my skin after a couple weeks, but I didn't truly notice a difference in how I looked until after a few months.

I agree, give it time! It took me 28 days to see my break outs stopping, and before that I was going through an initial breakout and wanted to give up (Im impatient). I'd also recommend taking Yaz AND Spiro, but if you can not afford it, then the Spiro will do. And remember: take the pill before 6pm, drink a lot of water, and moisturize well (your entire body- Spiro dried out my skin). Good luck!

Good luck, and yes...it does take time. I started seeing a difference after my first month and then just kept getting better. I'm a week shy of 3 months and my skin is doing awesome~ I

haven't had an actual real pimple in probably a month, except for maybe 3 little bumps that went away within a few days. I still have red marks though so I did also start a BHA/AHA treatment (Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Pads) and those little things have made a huge difference in my red marks and overall texture of my skin. Fabulous product...a bid pricey but worth it to me. Topically I only use that product along with my Dermalogica moisturizer and my skin hasn't look this good in years. I hope and pray it lasts.

Hey Jgirl555! I just started too - well i'm 10 days in :) On Yasmin also, and only usually get acne around my mouth/chin/jaw. Keep me updated as to your progress!

My only advice so far would be to take it with food...it gives me heartburn otherwise.

Thank you all for your advice! I love this website. I make sure to drink a lot of water everyday...I usually take it in the morning before class. Is taking it in the evening better?

innerreadhead- sounds like we have the same situation! i only break out around my mouth, annoying. How is yasmin for you? and how has the spiro been for you so far?

One more thing! Im concerned about the spiro having an effect on my sex drive. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you all for your advice! I love this website. I make sure to drink a lot of water everyday...I usually take it in the morning before class. Is taking it in the evening better?

innerreadhead- sounds like we have the same situation! i only break out around my mouth, annoying. How is yasmin for you? and how has the spiro been for you so far?

Yasmin alone was great for me for quite a few years (went off it once about 5 years ago and ended up with a cyst that turned into some sort of boil. I'm still traumatised!). However over the last 18 months or so it just hasn't cut it, and my jawline/chin have suffered the consequences majorly.

So far so good with the Spiro, but I'm still mentally trying to prepare myself for a hard road ahead . I guess I'm just aiming to take it one day at a time and try remain calm! I've read ALOT of success stories about it, but also alot of horror stories - so I just don't know what to expect.

Not sure what you use topically, but I have had alot of success using Duac on superficial pimples...so if you experience many of those or they increase when starting out on Spiro, I can completely vouch for it.

Good for you to drink more water.

Some people have side effects (dizziness from lowered blood pressure primarily) when they take Spiro in the morning. Some avoid those side effects by taking it at night. But if you're already drinking a lot of water and watching your K+ (potassium) intake, you might avoid the side effects and it should be ok to take the spiro in the morning.

If however you begin to notice dizziness, take it at night before bed. Be careful when standing up from lying position, and standing up from sitting position; those are the times when you can notice orthostatic hypotension from spiro (lowered blood pressure from position changes) and those BP changes CAN lead to fainting.

So far, I haven't experienced any dizziness or fatigue out of the ordinary. Im still drinking a lot of water...I got my lab results back showing that my potassium is within normal limits. I can definitley see a difference in the oil on my face. Im hoping that it keeps getting better....Also, I know people have experienced weightloss, primarily due to a loss in water weight but I feel like ive lost wieght. Ive been very thin my whole life and always a little bit underwieght for my BMI. When im on BCP I tend to get a little "meatier" (my boobs grow, get a little fat here and there) which I actually like, I feel a lot better about myself. SO, the spiro makes me feel like I am losing that...but maybe its just my imagination. Has anyone experienced actual weightloss not due to water weight?

ive been on spironolactone for about 10 days now and I couldnt be happier!! I have NO zits and my skin is less oily. I also switched to ortho tri cyclen lo. I take the spiro in the morning and the BCP pill in the evening. so happy!! thanks everyone for the advice!

Glad it's going well!!! I'm going well also, pretty clear and someone told me i'm 'glowing' today. On to week 3, with some trepidation of course...

im happy for you!! I am very excited with the results. I was perscribed the spiro through student health and now I have an appt. with my NP derm on friday to get an ongoing perscription. Im not really a fan of her though...so im hoping it goes as planned. keep me updated on your progress!

im doing really well. im still taking the 100mg of spiro and ortho tri cyclen lo. I havent had any new breakouts, which im thrilled about. I go back to the doctor on monday for a check up on the spiro and to get another prescription. how is it going for you??

I just got over my rocky patch and I'm feeling good again. I went out last night and everyone was taking photos...looked at them this morning and my skin looks sooooo smooth! Still have a few red dots on my nose at the moment though.

But onwards and upwards I hope...

Well, the middle of my cycle (2 weeks after my period, 2 weeks or so before my next one) is always really crap for my skin, so I can't say i was too surprised when i got a cyst (my first since starting Spiro).

It was a bit smaller than normal though, and I think it's healing faster...my skin's turned around 80% or so in the past week! Crazy! This time last week I was covered in little pimples that didn't worry me too much, a couple of whiteheads, then that emerging cyst. Happy now that i've reached the one month mark though.