Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rachela2221

Hormonal Acne

My diet is pretty healthy: plant-based, lots of fruits and veggies, minimal dairy (butter & some cheese), almost no sugar, no junk foods or preservatives, etc. (I've seen quite a difference in the acne I used to get from eliminating dairy and excess sugar)

Generally, my acne is pretty well under control. That is, until about a week before "the curse" (time of the month), when it will start freaking out and I get several blemishes along my jaw line and cheeks. (This will usually only last a few days, but it lasts long enough to cause some distress!) Then, while no new ones appear in the meantime, it takes about 1-2 weeks to for the damage to heal and finally go away, where my skin will be clear for about a week, then "the curse" approaches again and I go through the whole cycle again....

So, I'm quite certain that the acne I get is mainly hormonal. I've been reading a lot in this forum and have gathered quite a bit of good information and lots of tips that I want to start practicing-- but, I'm hoping to get a little more info related to hormonal acne-- tips to lessen the severity (or eliminate altogether) the acne during "that time", perhaps from someone whose acne is primarily hormonal as well, who has found something that helps..?

Thanks much! :)

I'd like to know this too. Im taking Spironolactone for my hormonal acne as of now, and it has just begun working...but in the future I'd like to find a natural way to control these breakouts

Welcome to the boards. :)

There's a link in my signature about green smoothies - I can't recommend these more highly! Greens, especially cruciferous greens, are wonderful for helping to balance hormones. I used to have mild, hormonal acne on my chin, and these keep my skin clear. You might also want to look into the supplement DIM, a natural substance found in cruciferous veggies that help balance hormones.

Good luck, and it sounds like you're already on a great path. Adding lots of cruciferous greens to your diet everyday might be all that's missing.... oh, and they need to be blended. You get four time the amount of nutrition when you blend. My post explains a lot more.... :)

I don't have a whole lot of info on this, BUT I recently came across some info on spearmint tea as it relates to hormones. Maybe one of the nutrition/holistic gurus can add some details?

I have been reading up, taking a whole load of Vitamin B5 (5 gms -10gms a day) and then taking the rest of your vitamins like C and A etc, and a complex B vitamin, you should notice a great result.. As in, clear skin.

I have been reading up, taking a whole load of Vitamin B5 (5 gms -10gms a day) and then taking the rest of your vitamins like C and A etc, and a complex B vitamin, you should notice a great result.. As in, clear skin.

zinc and multi-vitamin are good.

I buy the First Organic Daily Multiple

Made with organic ingredient! Love it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I appreciate your help!

Welcome to the boards. :)

There's a link in my signature about green smoothies - I can't recommend these more highly! Greens, especially cruciferous greens, are wonderful for helping to balance hormones. I used to have mild, hormonal acne on my chin, and these keep my skin clear. You might also want to look into the supplement DIM, a natural substance found in cruciferous veggies that help balance hormones.

Good luck, and it sounds like you're already on a great path. Adding lots of cruciferous greens to your diet everyday might be all that's missing.... oh, and they need to be blended. You get four time the amount of nutrition when you blend. My post explains a lot more.... :)

I don't have a whole lot of info on this, BUT I recently came across some info on spearmint tea as it relates to hormones. Maybe one of the nutrition/holistic gurus can add some details?

Yes, There's been several threads on it. Mint tea contains a compound that specifically inhibits the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT in the hair follicles. So it is very helpful for hirstutism and there have been a few studies demonstrating that. I've also had good results. It makes androgenic hairs much finer. But it's not going to be very helpful in acne in that respect.

According to the studies, it does have some estrogenic effect, peppermint more so than spearmint, so it can help with acne in that way depending on your particular hormone issues.

Generally, my acne is pretty well under control. That is, until about a week before "the curse" (time of the month), when it will start freaking out and I get several blemishes along my jaw line and cheeks. (This will usually only last a few days, but it lasts long enough to cause some distress!) Then, while no new ones appear in the meantime, it takes about 1-2 weeks to for the damage to heal and finally go away, where my skin will be clear for about a week, then "the curse" approaches again and I go through the whole cycle again....

If your acne comes and goes with your cycle, you should look into estrogen dominance and adrenal fatigue. Those green smoothies should help as sulfur containing veggies, herbs and spices are very helpful with this. Also make stir frys and curries with lots of onions, garlic, cruciferous veggies and greens, tumeric, etc.

Do you sleep well? What about stress?

I had bad hormonal acne and it took me awhile to figure it out.

Basically do your research on foods that you eat regularly and find out if they contain hormones or produce hormones in your body.

Meat, dairy, cheese, chicken, eggs all can contain growth hormones, you want to stay away from this. Milk and cheese are huge culprits.

Any sort of refined carbohydrate, white bread, white rice, carbs that are not 'whole' will increase your blood-glucose and increase hormones.

Caffeine, tea or coffee will increase specific hormones in your body.

As a preventative measure, drink lots of water throughout the day so that any bacteria that could be purged from your pores gets flushed out through your pee.

I'm having great luck using Vitex. I just started dim and nothing but good so far with this combination. I've tried a few different multi's and other fish oils and whatnot. I've seen the most improvement with the vitex.

rachela2221,

I'm glad you've been doing the green smoothies!! :) You've gotten a lot of other great advice too, and I'd like to second what catmuffin says about Vitex - it's supposed to be really great at regulating hormones.

I have hormonal acne, I found the best way to balance my hormones without walking with a book on my head.

Is to.. Increase your intake of fibre for healthy metabolism, 30 minutes of exercise a day and the biggest one of all is "anti-stress!" stress sends hormones into overload.

So go have a relaxing massage, get comfy with some chamomile tea, Take omega-3 "it keeps you calm"

the 30 minutes of exercise a day releases endorphins and helps keep you in a happy mood and god knows you need to keep happy when your closed for monthly maintenance.

I have also had really good luck with vitex for my hormonal acne. I recently stopped using all topicals except tea trea oil. I've been taking vitex every day for about 1 1/2 months. My skin looks pretty good right now except for the red spots from old acne.

The first month off BP was terrible as I think my skin went in to shock. Then I did a chemical peel (loved the result and plan to do more).

The trick to vitex is consistency and time. The best time to take it is in the morning.

Good luck!

Spiro has been my life saver! That in addition to drinking 2-3 green smoothies a day with a pretty healthy diet has significnatly changed my skin. I also added AHA/BHA to my nightly routine and my skin hasn't been this great in a long time. I am a happy camper.

Spiro has been my life saver! That in addition to drinking 2-3 green smoothies a day with a pretty healthy diet has significnatly changed my skin. I also added AHA/BHA to my nightly routine and my skin hasn't been this great in a long time. I am a happy camper.

What AHA/BHA do you use? I am looking forward to it. I must replace it with proactic!

Eddie,

Paula Begoun has a really great BHA product as well, and it's well-formulated. You have to be careful with those, because some BHA products don't have the right PH balance, and so the BHA is basically useless. Paula's website is www.cosmeticscop.com.

What AHA/BHA do you use? I am looking forward to it. I must replace it with proactic!

I personally use a product from Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Pads. They are expensive but I have found to be much better than the Alpha Hydrox line I used before.

there is really no miracle cure for hormonal acne, its cause by a surge of androgens stimulating the hair follicles causing them to produce oil and become inflamed. Since as we age, our cell regeneration slows down, its easy for dead skin to linger in the hair follicles and cause breakouts. it all boils down to paying attention, maintaining the pH of your skin by washing and toning it correctly, use a stronger exfoliant around that time of the month. When you start to feel a break out coming on, nip it in the bud, right when you see the start of a pimple forming... put on a thick clay mask that will empty out the pore. *moderator edit*

Saw palmetto has been shown to counter act androgen's in woman. I just started taking it. Also estrobalance is a natural supplement that balances the hormones. If your estrogen is high than your testosterone will try to catch up and that can cause a surge in acne. It hasn't been proven that saw palmetto has helped acne but if you have to much DHT which is a big cause in hormonal acne than this would seem to take care of that. I'm just experimenting with this since I do have PCOS. So look into it and adding the estrobalance really helps. Estrobalance has made my time of the month a breeze. Before I discovered it I was in misery every month. Supplements take time to show results you have to give it at least 6 weeks.

One more thing, I've been experimenting with Ayurveda treatments and diet. Drinking a tea made of cumin,crushed fennel and coriander after each meal seems to balance everything. Also drinking aloe vera juice is a major help.

If your estrogen is high than your testosterone will try to catch up...

Can you cite any scientific evidence for that claim?

If your estrogen is high than your testosterone will try to catch up...

Can you cite any scientific evidence for that claim?

I don't believe that to be true, but I know with steroids, the reason guys get boobs and a smaller manly organ, is because after they STOP taking the steroids, their body has a bunch of testosterone and not enough estrogen and when you stop giving yourself all of the testosterone, the estrogen does pick up.

On topic, why is it always the girls that talk about hormonal acne?

Guys have more hormonal acne, because we have more androgen it is a male hormone!

How can I lower my male hormones??? They are out of control.

I had visible moustache hair before anybody that I know, I had signs of a moustache (Dark hair too) in the first 1-2 years of middle school. People commented on it all the time.

On topic, why is it always the girls that talk about hormonal acne?

Guys have more hormonal acne, because we have more androgen it is a male hormone!

That doesn't matter. Any amount of androgen converted to DHT in the skin can be a problem. And estrogen dominance also causes acne.

They do mistakenly refer to acne that comes and goes with their cycle as hormonal as if it wasn't all hormonal. Just like when people say things like 'mine is genetic.' Except pores clogged by topicals, it's all hormonal and it's all genetic.