Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dr0832

Does Tazorac Cause an Initial breakout?

I am curious if you get an initial breakout from tazorac. Reason I ask is I am using ti for back acne along with minocin, and I since I started it 4 days ago my acne has gotten worse on my back. I don't mind an inital breakout just as long as I know its normal and not some weird reaction my bodies having to the tazorac. How long does it take to see results? Is tazorac something that works only while you take it or does it actually help cure acne at all in adults over 21?

1. Yes it does cause the intial Breakout.

2. 2 months to notice results, 3 months + to notice best results.

3. As far as i know it only works while you are taking it.

Thats good to know. I have one more question though. I have been applying a thin coat to my entire back. I know it says to apply only to infected area but it seems most of my back is affected. I have some cycstic acne, big red swollen pustules, and many many small pustules which cover most of my back and shoulders. So I feel its pretty hard to apply to 500 separate zits. Is there any problem with doing this? Also I have been using the creme, but was wondering if theres any advantages that the gel has over the creme. Is there an experiration date to tazorac? Surprisingly I really have not gotten dry skin from doing this.

dr80 you sound EXACTAly like me =) i have the same thing and am taking the same medicine but for about 3 weeks now... yes my acne has gotten worse =( i dont know what to do but for the back i just take a pea dab then put it on my entire shoulder then aother dab for my other shoulder.... thats what my derm told me then put 2 dabs for my face =/ my face is real bad oh well it says after 4 weeks it gets worse takes about 8 weeks

Just Apply it to the general area where you get acne, for example i dont get acne all over my face but i do apply all over.

Gel and Creme is a preference really but Gel is usually stronger.

I was thinking of going on Tazorac. I'm using Retin A Micro right now but have heard that Tazorac is better.

My question is what makes it better? They're both vitamin A retinoids right?

ya people with experience with tazorac plz reply, does it help at the end with the pastules? i am getting disappointed with retina-A.

I think Tazorac is the best, i have read somewhere its the best topical out there. I had some nasty whiteheads on my chinline and on my cheeks all gone, except one that i have left on my right cheek. Im just dealing with red marks, in a couple of days it will be my 3 months on the taz.

As for the difference I really dont know, im not gonna BS, im not a derm, but from what i have read tazorac is superior.

Im on tazorac. It really works well. Just make sure you dont pop any or else theyll come back to haunt you for sure. Give the taz a little bit, it works great.

Im on tazorac. It really works well. Just make sure you dont pop any or else theyll come back to haunt you for sure. Give the taz a little bit, it works great.

i tried everything..home remedies...bp...salyic acid..retin-a..pro-activ differin gel...and the only thing that worked for me was TAZORAC...the thing is it cost too dam much

i tried everything..home remedies...bp...salyic acid..retin-a..pro-activ differin gel...and the only thing that worked for me was TAZORAC...the thing is it cost too dam much

How long have you been on taz? Are you using Gel or Cream?

. Tazorac works faster than Retin a or Retina A MIcro, and Differin. It is a 3rd generation retinoid and that means it is stronger than the others but less side effects. Yes , you will look worse before you look better because it is clearing everything from under the surface of the skin and then it will keep it clear. It will work on pustules but not on cystic acne. It can take up to 12 weeks for optimal results but most people start to see results in 4 weeks. Once you are clear you can go to maintainence therapy of a couple times a week. Most people use the cream unless they have extremely oily skin, then the gel. do not apply to wet skin. wait 30 minutes after you wash your face to apply. apply sparingly.

Guest Brandon

Does this make your skin really sensitive, like Accutane? Do you have to avoid B5, Vinegar, peels and whatever else...?

i have tons of experience with tazorac...i been on it for 1 and half years...im reading all the posts and people r saying its the best topical out there...which i didnt know. it works really well at first . it makes u peel like crazy at first but thats good cuz u know its working. i would wake up every morning the first 3 months and the huge pimples i had would peel off layer by layer everyday. Usually i would have to scrub my face with cetaphil in the morning and night to rub off the dead peeling skin. Then my face would feel new again...then i applied the taz and the next working..more peeling...eventually the peeling dies down when u dont have any more pimples. the best thing u can do is this tho...buy urself proactiv and use proatic step 1 scrub...then use step 2...revitalizing toner....and replace proativ's step 3 lotion with tazorac....AMAZING RESULTS guaranteed people. Proactiv's manual even says that for people with severe cases to substitute their prescription creams for the step 3 repairing lotion. the reason this method works so well is because the scrub scrubs away all the dead skin that tazorac peels off. the toner just makes ur face feel smoothe and hydrated as well as balance the pH levels. I use proactiv with tazorac and benzaymcin all together. the benzamycin i use in case i feel a pimple coming out and need to stop it. I would have terrible acne if i didnt use this method. This is the only method that is keeping me from accutane. I know if i stop this method...accutane is probably what i would need. THe reason is probably because i have super oily skin and if anyone out there doesnt have as oily skin as me....i can almost bet anything that proactiv and tazorac will work. It keeps me in control but with the occasional breakout which is usually due to my fault . like im i am clear for a month ..i guess i get lazy and dont clean as well as i should with all the steps.. but if u stick to this method i think u will be very satisfied...i give u my word. my only problem now is the breakouts i been getting from electic shaving. i recently got an electric shaver cuz i read electric causes less acne than blade beecause it is not as close of a shave. however ur skin needs to get use to it.

Hmm.. Thats interesting. I would def. give it a shot but im only dealing with redmarks, so dont know if the proactiv will help with that.

yeah proactiv will help with that...its good for all the skin conditions..like i said before...the scrub will scrub away dead skin and reveal healty skin under it. It promotes skin cells growth because its getting rid of all the dead and old skin cells. the tazorac basically does that same thing just that its more powerful. make sure u get tazorac gel tho because i found it to work WAY better than the cream. the cream also feels nasty like oily and it gives u face this real gross shine. the gel feels nice and its easily concealed and the doctor even said it peels more rapidly. dont worry about the peeling, i kno its nasty and sometimes ur friends might say "whats up with ur skin" but u will have real nice smooth skin that rarely peels after all the bad skin falls off. i actually use cetaphil soap to kill any bacteria as well. first i used the proactiv scrub, then rinse, then cetaphil gentle soap , then rinse, then the proactiv toner (green liquid) dont forget it must dry completely before u apply the tazorac. i do this twice a day morning and night.

Hey Rixter. I just started on Tazorac and am getting the peeling. I am starting off by applying it on every third day to prevent irritation while my skin gets used to the medication.

How often do you apply the gel and how much do put on when you apply it? Also how long did it take for your skin to get used to the medication and the peeling to stop? Also do you use the 0.05% or 0.1% gel?

Thanks for posting your experiences with Tazorac. I am enthusiastic about the results I am seeing so far and it looks like the Tazorac is going to work well.

1% two times a day, pea sized amount on each side of face. Flaking stopped when all the pimples went away.

Wow two times a day. Thats alot considering its really only once a day. How did you react to it?

wel i do it when i wake up and before i go to bed. if it wasnt for this i would have been on accutane a while ago. i guess my skin is very acne prone and if urs isnt then once a day would be enough.

I was on taz for awhile then I went off it. Now I'm back on it along with Yasmin hoping that together they will clear up my stupid skin. I'm on day six using tazorac, and yes my acne has gotten worse. Its a different sort of zit though. Every morning I wake up with about three really big pus filled zits. Washing them in warm water opens them up though. I'm hoping thats my pores cleaning themselves out. Birth control and accutane are about my last options. My acne isn't really bad, or all that scarring but for some reason nothing really helps. XD I'm not waiting to grow out of it!

Hi guys,

i have been using tazorac for a few months now. I use it once a day before bedtime and i would say that it works pretty well. My face is definately better than before. Its gotten alot better but there are still some new pimples.

What i find with tazorac is that once your skin gets used to it, the sensitivity issue will die down. I mean right now everynight i put it across my whole face, without any hessistation about the amount. its hasnt caused any redness or irration.

does anyone know if sensitivity is not an issue, whether its better to use less or just apply alot (Like Dan's BP method)?

uh oh... last night was my very first application of tazorac... i don't feel like having an initial breakout, but ok... now i DID notice that i applied it last night, and this morning, i have 2 new pimples on my cheek, but now it's the evening and they've already come to a head. how long do the breakouts last? and is peeling like a default side effect?

Edit: And when it DOES peel, do you just leave that dead skin on your face or do you peel it off or what?