Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amanda8lynn22

Isolated Chin Bumps: Gram-Negative Folliculitis?

Gram-negative folliculitis: This sometimes develops in people receiving long-term antibiotic treatment for acne. Antibiotics alter the normal balance of bacteria in the nose, leading to an overgrowth of harmful organisms (gram-negative bacteria). In most people, this doesn't cause problems, and the flora in the nose returns to normal once antibiotics are stopped. In a few people, however, gram-negative bacteria spread to the cheeks, chin and jaw line, where they cause new, sometimes-severe acne lesions.

Ive had bumps on my chin for years now, and Im convinced after trying many prescription that these are not Acne.

I havent been able to get a diagnosis, but because these bumps didnt arise until i had been on antibiotics for a while as a teenager, Im thinking I could have GNF.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any experiences they've had with this condition.

**I also have acne, but Ive been able to control it with retin-a, tri-sprintec, and an oral antibiotic, But a cluster of bumps has remained on my chin and on the sides of my mouth. They come and go as they please, but atleast 20 remain at anytime. They're very close together and sometimes overlap one another. And every now and then they turn into whiteheads..

Ive seen users with similar conditions here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Small-bum...rs-t217573.html

**And here is what I am certain it's not:

dermatitis

milia

warts

and im almost certain its not your typical acne

Yeah i had those too. Having occasional ones that sprout but they're not so often on me right now. As with my management, my derm put me on Tetralysal Lymecycline and I use a Topical Antibiotic for those with no redness like Bactroban (Mupirocin) they're cheap. ^^ But for bumps with redness, i use Topical Ibrupofen Gel (use only a few) do not rub, just let it glide, then seal it in with bactroban. Bactroban is an ointment by the way. ^^

You won't know if you do have gram negative folliculitis until you get an actual diagnosis of it. Go back to your derm/family practice doc for treatment options and diagnosis.

Long-term use of antibiotics may produce a gram-negative pustular folliculitis around the nose and in the center of the face. This uncommon superinfection may be difficult to clear and is best treated with oral isotretinoin after discontinuing the oral antibiotic. Ampicillin

is an alternative treatment for gram-negative folliculitis. In women, prolonged antibiotic use can cause candidal vaginitis; if local and systemic therapy does not eradicate this problem, antibiotic therapy for acne must be stopped.

Im 99% sure its GNF. Anyone had this and found something to clear it? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Gram-negative folliculitis: This sometimes develops in people receiving long-term antibiotic treatment for acne. Antibiotics alter the normal balance of bacteria in the nose, leading to an overgrowth of harmful organisms (gram-negative bacteria). In most people, this doesn't cause problems, and the flora in the nose returns to normal once antibiotics are stopped. In a few people, however, gram-negative bacteria spread to the cheeks, chin and jaw line, where they cause new, sometimes-severe acne lesions.

Ive had bumps on my chin for years now, and Im convinced after trying many prescription that these are not Acne.

I havent been able to get a diagnosis, but because these bumps didnt arise until i had been on antibiotics for a while as a teenager, Im thinking I could have GNF.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any experiences they've had with this condition.

**I also have acne, but Ive been able to control it with retin-a, tri-sprintec, and an oral antibiotic, But a cluster of bumps has remained on my chin and on the sides of my mouth. They come and go as they please, but atleast 20 remain at anytime. They're very close together and sometimes overlap one another. And every now and then they turn into whiteheads..

Ive seen users with similar conditions here:

**And here is what I am certain it's not:

dermatitis

milia

warts

and im almost certain its not your typical acne

i had it before... folliculitis (tender with yellowish fluid bumps usually around my mouth and chin) and i also had an acne. my doctor prescribed me an oral antibiotics for 7days and the bumps were gone. but, the bumps will comeback one week after stopping them.. my routine will be like that, you know, take antibiotics again..again..and again..

Until one day, i discovered a solution... i bought oral antibiotics (amoxicillin 500mg 3x a day) for 7 seven days and PanOxyl 10% bar soap.. i took the oral antibiotics and used the panOxyl bar soap at the same time.. after seven days, i stopped the antibiotic... but continued to use the panoxyl bar soap.. i was worried that the bumps will comeback because i stopped the oral antibiotic but they never did.. the bar soap is preventing them from coming back.. Until now, im still using the soap for maintenance, because i know once i stopped using it... the acne and the folliculitis will comeback.

Hope this helps.. Give it a try...

Hey, Thanks for Responding..

Ive actually used Panoxyl before for my acne, and it didnt do anything for the bumps. NOTHING hass worked on them. My face is very clear with some scarrring, which doesnt bother me, all that remains is these bumps..very fustrating.

Ive been taking amoxicillin 250mg 2x day for the past week, and I havent seen any difference..

Im going to my doc soon, and I'm going to try to get on ampicillin.

Hey, Thanks for Responding..

Ive actually used Panoxyl before for my acne, and it didnt do anything for the bumps. NOTHING hass worked on them. My face is very clear with some scarrring, which doesnt bother me, all that remains is these bumps..very fustrating.

Ive been taking amoxicillin 250mg 2x day for the past week, and I havent seen any difference..

Im going to my doc soon, and I'm going to try to get on ampicillin.

I think you really need to go to your doctor. im sure your doctor will take some "pus" from one of your bumps (as sample) to be examine, usually in the laboratory. then, you can really tell whether you have folliculitis or something else.. Goodluck!

COMEDONAL ACNE

The term comedonal acne refers to the pattern of acne in which most lesions are comedones (blackheads and whiteheads). Comedonal acne most often affects the forehead and chin.

Comedones form because plugs of sebum and keratin (old skin cells) block the skin pores (follicles).

Comedonal acne may be aggravated by:

Hormonal factors

Humid weather

Oily products such as pomades, sunscreens and petroleum-based moisturisers.

Management

Choose oil-free cosmetics and wash twice daily with a mild soap and water.

Choose ‘comedolytic’ topical medications. These should be applied once or twice daily as a thin smear to the entire area affected. It may take several months before worthwhile improvement occurs. Treatment needs to be continued long term (sometimes for many years).

Suitable topical agents include:

Benzoyl peroxide 2.5-10%

Azelaic acid 20%

Salicylic acid +/- sulphur & resorcinol 1-3%

Glycolic acid 10-20%

Retinoids such as tretinoin, isotretinoin, adapalene (these require a doctor's prescription)

Prescription oral medications for comedonal acne include:

Hormonal therapy

Isotretinoin

Antibiotics are not usually very effective for this pattern of acne.

Surgical treatments are sometimes recommended to remove persistent comedones:

Cryotherapy

Electrosurgery (cautery or diathermy)

Microdermabrasion

Try Lotrimin AF twice to threes a day. It has reduced the ones on my neck and jaw line, where I shave, by 80%

Also stay away from and product with added fregance, soap, prefumes, colonges, laundry detergant, after shaves, shaving creams - NO Fregance

Guest Timehealsall

how long are we talking for the antibiotic use?