Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mireiyu

I came across an interesting patent...

In random reading of these forums, a thought occurred: Can Aluminum Chloride help acne? Aluminum Chloride is currently used as a strong antiperspirant that closes up pores. I thought, well, why not if used with the proper disinfecting agents and other products? So I searched for it.

I came across Patent EP0281812 at a free patent site. It incorporates the idea of using a solution that includes a keratolytic agent, an astringent, and an anti-inflammatory agent. The keratolytic agent they preferred was a stronger concentration of salicylic acid than currently available in most OTC products for acne, with benzoyl peroxide being considered. The astringent of choice was zinc oxide, although aluminum chloride was considered. The anti-inflammatory agent of choice was glucosamine or cysteine.

The way it is supposed to work is the following:

*Keratolytic agent will pull the plug out of the comodone and bring the skin level down to the follicle.

*The astringent will restrict the wall of the follicle, making it too narrow for bacteria to thrive. (?)

*The anti-inflammatory agent will slow down the body's reaction to the inflammation inducing substance that is in and comes out of the pore.

The way it is explained in the patent, it sounds like it could work. They had a very, very small study on people of various degrees of acne that tested out the product. They all had success. You can find the patent easily with a search if curious. It is a somewhat long read.

Everything about it sounds good, like it would be on the market somehow. Problem? It's from 1988, and I can not think of a single product that is like that. Was it just ultimately a failure or turned down outright by companies?

Is anyone aware of a product, past or present, like this? It has seriously piqued my curiousity. Thanks ahead of time.

The astringent will restrict the wall of the follicle, making it too narrow for bacteria to thrive
That's just plain garbage, I'm afraid. Bacteria is so very tiny that a follicle would essentially need to vanish before even one little tiny bacterium would have trouble finding a habitat in the follicle.

Anti-perspirants with aluminum chloride are possibly linked with the development of amyloid plaques in Alzheimer's disease.

Anti-perspirants form a temporary plug that stops sweat from flowing according to the FDA's website. That doesn't sound like it is good for acne prone skin as clogged pores lead to acne. http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2005/405_sweat.html

I was wondering if that particular part of it was true. That's why I had the question mark. Thank you. I didn't think would work in the same manner as the patent described. Still made me curious, though.

Although, I'm not sure if zinc oxide creates a plug in the same manner as aluminum chloride is described to. Zinc oxide is marked as 1 and 0 on the acne detective site- safe according to them.

The wrong explanation could just be listed. Maybe this formula would help; maybe it wouldn't. I'm still curious if anything like it exists, so I can look for reviews for it and see if/where it went wrong.

It probably worked so much that it ended the acne problem more than the BP which will keep you in acne cycle. That's why the companies didn't support it because there won't be any profit from it. Though it may also be possible that they later found that it is dangerous. It is from 1988 anyway.

These are just speculations. ;)

HEllo, I have started using Aluminum Chloride for 6 days now. Actually, I found it by accident. I have aluminum Chloride for my sweating prescribed by my doc but they have almost identical bottle as my astringent and I put them side on the same medicine cabinet but I was watching "Royal Pains" intently and I just didn't read the label and I accidentally put the aluminum on me face. That day was different coz I didn't break a sweat on me face and wasn't oily at all. Then came back home to trace what I did differently and I realized that the aluminum bottle was out and I started using it since then. Hope there's no side effects to this but I'll ask my doctor but for now I'll try it further..Wish me luck..

If you're a guy and shave I think you can get ingrown hairs if you use that I have like 4 in my right armpit and had around 3 before that but not sure if it's the deodorant or simply me because Ive gotten ingrown hairs in different places and my left armpit has none.

I mean around the neck where you can cshave against the follicle

Edited by Cosimo

There's no evidence aluminum is linked to problems with the brain. There's an odd correlation with aluminum and old Japanese people in Hawaii exposed to massive amounts of aluminum from poorly-processed soy, but no causal link has been found between brain issues and aluminum, not for lack of studies and attempts to find one. Aluminum seems to be treated similar to silicone in the body: inert to biochemical processes.

I accidentally stumbled upon using Drysol when I grabbed the wrong dab-o-matic bottle to put on my face. I've been looking for empty dab-o-matic bottles to buy and face products in them, but ended up just using up some bottles of the Drysol instead so I could use the empties for acne solutions. I also used SA prior to the Drysol application. They worked fantastic together. BP does not play well with the aluminum chloride. I don't know if Ibuprofen would be stable in such a solution, either. The SA was in separate Oxy wipes.

There are two pre-existing published studies I've found using aluminum chloride for skin issues, one follicitus and the other acne, and both were positive with no listed side effects I could find. I have not found a long-term study, though. The "plug" theory of how aluminum works as an antiperspirant is not proven. That's the leading idea of how it works. But Drysol is so strong that it may have unintended consequences that could affect the skin's ability to moisturize and stay flexible.

I might try it again and I'll post back after a while on my results if I do.

Edited by Reti

Sulfur is inferior to SA and BP, though. I realize some people like is. I've use it from time to time. And aluminum chloride, which isn't a keratolytic, is the base treatment if we're talking about Drysol. So if you want to add a keratolytic, let's say you're choosing from sulfur, SA, and BP. Since BP doesn't doesn't seem to work well with aluminum chloride (it balls up), SA seems to be the default. Again, I happened upon it by accident. I would also want to know if sulfur is reactive with the aluminum chloride for those that would like to use that one in a formula.

Edited by Reti