Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
austinjb555

Is this a typical prescription from a Derm?

Morning:

100mg Doxycycline Hyclate

Wash face with Cetaphil bar for dry skin

Duac topical gel

Night:

100mg Doxycycline Hyclate

Wash face with Cetaphil bar for dry skin

Retin-A Micro tretinoid gel microsphere 0.04%

Why did he tell me to use cetaphil for dry skin? My skin is very oily.

Also, the duac came with a SFC lotion. Would I use that in the morning in place of the cetaphil?

I haven't noticed MUCH improvement, but I only started Wednesday night, and it is Saturday morning. I haven't noticed any redness/dryness/burning, but some of my acne has been itchy on my left cheek (but the acne on that cheek is always itchy, and they're only red bumps, they've never become whiteheads.)

What do you know about these medicines? Any tips on taking them?

I've tried Proactiv, Clean and Clear, Clearasil, and a bunch of home remedies, and they only helped a little and/or stopped working.

This is my 4th year with acne and I'm 15 1/2. My acne has gotten really bad (but not severe).

The derm said I have inflammation too.

Also, are there any liquid medicines for the doxy? I can NOT swallow, I have dysphagia, and it tastes HORRIBLE in apple sauce. Or what else can I use instead of apple sauce?

Thanks for your help if you haven't gotten bored and closed the page already :P

-Austin

Yeah that is a typical prescription and typical explanation they usually say. My opinion on dermatologists are they really dont actually know what we go through because they dont have acne. I go to the derm doctor for the oral antibiotics and i just say i use their products they tell me but actually dont and use my own thing because you need to use products that other people with acne use that have helped them because Dermatologists only know so much about what actually works because they dont have acne and know what we have to go through. Do you kinda see what im talking about?

That's actually a really good prescription. It's fighting the acne inside and out. Both Doxycycline and Duac are great medications. Your Derm probably suggested Cetaphil for Dry Skin to battle the potential dryness you may receive from the Duac.

Some topicals and antibiotics take awhile to work. Patience is key.

the Doxy is an incredibly important factor to this prescription, because for the first month to three months the skin will be thinned by the retin-a, and causing much of the bacteria and other things that were in your face to surface..the bacteria would normally feed off of these pores surfacing and cause tons of red pimples but that antibiotic will definately avoid that happening....So please take the doxy and dont skip it. Another thing, do NOT put more than the recommended amount of retin-a on. Remember...less is more. If you use too much, you will ruin your face, this happened to me and months later im still recovering. I used retin-a for about 2 years and was sucessful until i used to much. Other than that good luck with your regimen :)

Thanks for the advice! At the end of the appointment, one of them mentioned accutane. I've read how miserable people get on it- do you think my acne is bad enough to use it, or at least use a low dosage?

Thanks for the advice! At the end of the appointment, one of them mentioned accutane. I've read how miserable people get on it- do you think my acne is bad enough to use it, or at least use a low dosage?

Lots of people have said this before, but accutane should only be used as a last resort for people with severe acne. You should try the topical retinoids and antiboitics before you ever get accutane. It's a serious drug and can't be used as a quick fix.