Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User24582

Dr. Mercola on How to Cure Your Acne

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...-Naturally.aspx

Basically, it's all about insulin.

All of the following improve insulin, and all of the following will improve acne:

- Sleep

- Vitamin D, sun exposure

- No grain diet

- Low omega-6s, no vegetable oil (contained in basically all modern foods, about 99% of restaurants cover their food in omega-6s and 99.99% of packaged foods have it - make your own meals to avoid it)

It's without a doubt a very effective way to eliminate acne, and easy to attain for those who dont require higher intakes of carbohydrates. In terms of sun exposure though he was liberal enough to mention safe tanning beds in which there is no such thing. The skin cancer rates in australia are 1 in 3 people, and the US would be similar, so I dont think its wise to adovocate such large amounts of sun exposure.

Nice find. I think I read that Mercola's diet doesn't advocate eating a fish on a regular basis, I'm guessing because of the contaminants. He also lets you eat legumes, which is different from the paleo diet.

Beat me to the punch; I was just about to post this too. Although I don't agree with all of Mercola's advice on certain things; I think he's dead-on here. Definitely worth a watch, particularly for anyone starting out on the holistic route to curing their acne.

He also gets into vitamin D and probiotics.

He just used grains as a key word in reference to carbohydrates. He basically said anything which raises insulin levels to a significant degree, which he stated as any carb other than low carb veggies which in a blanket statement included fruits. A high fat low carb diet isn't neccesarily healthier, and insulin isn't a bad thing. The macronutrient change will just stem the problem until one 'grows' out of their acne.

Sounds about right! I think one serving of grains a day though is probably okay, especially when served with other low-glycemic foods. Anymore than this, and you'll have less room for other, higher nutrient foods. I would definitely put an emphasis on cruciferous vegetables and greens as well, as they are great for balancing hormones.

Here's another article recommending low-glycemic foods (and no dairy): http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine...ear_connection/

He just used grains as a key word in reference to carbohydrates.

More like he was using it as a scapegoat. It's an ok article except where he totally went off on grains. But I always appreciate any doctor preaching diet and nutrition.

Just consume a big variety of real, nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory foods and drinks and avoid anything you have an intolerance for. Which he doesn't even mention, btw. I'd still have severe cystic acne if I just followed Mercola's advice.

And it's not ALL about insulin. There are many other factors.

Sorry, Dr. Mercola, but any video about diet and acne is incomplete without even a single mention of dairy.