Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plumpy

Needling Experience w/ Tattoo Needles

Hey, what’s up guys! I’ve been lurking on this message board for a long time. I just recently signed up and I think it’s awesome how everyone on here is helping eachother out. Keep it up guys! =o)

I wanted to share my experience with Needling w/ Tattoo Needles.) First, I want to say is that this method definitely works! I’m not saying this will completely remove your scar. But it can give you a %35, %50 IMPROVEMENT or Higher! And that’s what most of us want. This is a permanent fix not a temp fix where your scar will pop back up like it once looked before after peels laser treatments, etc... Mine haven’t and I’ve done it a year ago. And it still looks great! So I, like many of you who have to deal with the ugly scars left by acne and want to try and improve it. So I’ve read around on the boards and saw what methods everyone was using, from peels, lasers, dermabrasion, fillers, needling etc..

I’ve tried the peels, it works great and gives you a nicer skin tone. But it won’t

do anything for your scars at all. And I read that others have no results from those expensive treatments from lasers and other methods either, so it’s a total waste of money. So I read the Needling topics and I saw that so many people have had success with this method.

How can that be? This cheap method actually freakin works?? I was hesitant just like many of you were. I said no way, it can’t work..it was too good to be true..But I couldn’t knock it until I’ve tried it. I read I think it was “Gumby’sâ€instruction on how to do  needling. I also read other’s who have had professional tattoo artist’s do it for them.

So I changed it up just a bit, I see that a lot of people were using “lancets or syringes†instead of tattoo needles. Why not just purchase some tattoo needles, it works a hell of a lot better! Plus you don’t need a tattoo gun either, just the needles itself is fine. So I bought a pack of “50 3 Round Liners†for $12.99 on Ebay. It saves you a lot of money rather than going to a tattoo artist, they would probably charge you $150 or more per session. Too expensive for me, plus you may need to do it more than 1 time per scar depends on how bad it is, so if you have to do it 2 or 3 times by a tattoo artist. That could be $300-$450. No thanks dude…I’ll do it myself.

Plus, by using a tattoo gun..I think that it goes way too fast and you don’t know

how deep it will go. So by using the tattoo needle by itself, you have better control

and it’s much better too.Why do I think tattoo needles are better? Because they sell the needles called “Round Liners†RL from 2 and up. I usually just buy the 3, 4 or 5 RL.

3 round liners mean there are 3 needles lined up in a circle on the bar, etc. Instead of

using a single needle, it’s better to use more than one to be more effective. Just

like the Derma Roller, because there’s so many needles puncturing your face at a time.

Which causes that area to stimulate fibroblasts that releases collagen and other goodies to start the healing. I think a lot of people have success with the derma roller as well. So this is what I do.

Most likely you want to be as close to the

mirror as possible and the bar may get in the way. Get some clean paper towels to

wipe the blood. Yes, you will be bleeding. But not much, just a tiny amount.

3. Try to pull down tight on the area of the scar that your working on, and puncture

the skin at a normal pace. DO NOT USE THE JACKHAMMERING METHOD.

Where you are going really fast with the needle, just keep it at a normal pace

and you will be fine. Remember do not try and GO DEEP, just use your judgement

and just puncture it normally, you may end up hearing popping sounds. That’s

just the scar tissue breaking up, which is a good thing. We want that too happen.

So your skin can rebuild itself. That’s why other expensive methods don’t work,

Because it’s not breaking the scar tissue at all. Which I think is very important.

4. After you are done working on that area, let it rest for about 2-5 mins. Then work

on that area again. Just do that 2-3 times and your done, DO NOT OVERDUE IT.

For those who are scared of needles, it really doesn’t hurt a lot. It just feels like a

bee sting, but after you’ve puncture for a few seconds, that area just stops hurting.

5. So after everything is done, soak a paper towel in water and hold it onto that area

for a bit. Then pat it dry, if you have some ointment, go ahead and apply some on.

Do not put a bandaid over it. You will be swollen & red, and the scar might look

deeper. But don’t worry, it’s because you broke the scar tissue and it’s time for it

to start the rebuilding process.

Within a few days, you will start scabbing. If you scab then that’s a good sign

that you did the needling correctly. Most likely if you are a fast healer, it should

heal within 2 weeks. But you will probably still peel a little bit in that area. If

you need to work on that scar again to get better improvement, wait a month

for it to fully heal.

Me, I admit I usually peel my scab within like 3-4 days just to see the progress.

And a lot of us do have that urge to do it. It’s ok if you want to just to see how

it’s healing. If you do, make sure and check to see if the scab is easily peelable

if not, then leave it alone. Don’t peel it too much, peel it once or twice then let

it heal on it’s own. You are most likely going to say OH MAN, my scar is looking

even worse than before, actually it’s not. It takes time to heal so be patient

throughout the healing process. The same happened with me. I first I thought,

did I make my scar even worse than it was before?

But as time passed, it looked amazingly better! And I was thrilled! And by

the end of my healing, I would have to say I’m glad that I tried this method.

=============================================================

So here’s a note, if you have an active life and you have to be in public a lot. Just

work on 1 or 2 scars at a time so that you won’t look really scary with all that

scabbing & redness. If you are dark skinned, you might not want to try this..it

could lead to hyper-pigmentation. But it’s up to you, also do not try this on your

NOSE! I don’t know if the nose heals the same way as other parts of your face.

But if someone else has experienced with it, then please let us know how it went.

So, if your someone who wants to give this needling method a try, seriously give it a shot. I would never tell anyone to try something that doesn’t work. Just test it on ONE SCAR and see how it goes and if it works for you, then you’ll know that this method really works. Because so many other people have tried it and it worked for the majority of us! And if you already tried the needling method before with syringes or lancets and you still have scars you would like to work on. Try and use the tattoo needles instead and see how it goes for you.

I also read some didn’t turn out so well. My guess is either you did the needling wrong by going way too deep or your body just doesn’t heal properly. Could be lack of your body producing collagen, but that’s rare. So why spend all that money on those expensive treatments with no results when you can do this for cheap and get good results. The key is to be patient and don't be too discourage and in the end, it will all be worth it. So hopefully this helps you and good luck guys. =]

-Tony

Wow I'm glad I read this before I started on my LED therapy/dermaroll/needling session. Thanks for the detailed info. and sharing this method with all of us. I wish you posted this a few days ago since I just went out and bought lancets for my needling.

I have a few tattoos on my body and I do notice that my skin sticks out a little from where its tatted. All of my tattoos are over 5 years old so it's not too hard to believe something like this might work. Thanks again for the info.

You're welcome, Pete. If you ever decide to get the tattoo needles later on and try that instead. Let me know how it goes! =]

most of your technique info sounds good, but i still do not think scabbing should happen which is why it is important to keep the areas moist for the first few hours or so after you needle. and i really really do not think pulling scabs off to check the progress could help in any kind of scarring. the whole premise behind needling is patience and you have to realize that from the get go. continually pulling off scabs can't help speed things up and only causes more irritation to the actual healing process.

Hi Kate,

Thank you for sharing your input. I never said in my post that anyone should please pick off their scab. I said that IF you have the URGE to do it, which majority of the people will have that urge. (It's just like if you have a zit, are you gonna pop it? %99.9 of us will do it.) Then it's ok, to just do it once or twice. It won't hurt your healing at all, it's not going to prolong it either, unless you pick at it CONSTANTLY, which you should definitely NOT DO.

But letting it heal on it's own is even better if you do not pick at it, that..I agree with you. But like I said, only if you have the urge to do it. I can't stop people from doing it, they are gonna do it anyways. I'm just telling them what I did, because I only peeled my scab off just to see if my scar was filling in to see how it's progressing. And it gave me hope that it's really working. And it didn't prolong my healing, and my results were excellent each and every time.

So overall, leave your scab alone and let it heal on it's own if you can. And I'm a little confused, you said you shouldn't scab? So your saying throughout your whole needling process/healing. You never scabbed at all, by keeping it moisturized? And it healed perfectly fine? If so, then that's pretty good. I guess others can use that technique if it helps them.

But here's my input, I think scabbing is a good thing. I never kept mine moist all the time, I only put on ointment after my first needling session. Then the rest of the healing process, I let it heal naturally with the scabbing with no ointments. Because think of the scab as a protective barrier, a shield. To allow whatever's underneath it to heal properly so that no bacteria/germs can get through etc..that's why I think scabbing is a good thing.

If anyone has any experience with the needling method, please share your input. How did it go for you and share your technique if it's different than mine. So maybe it could be useful to others as well. Thanks for sharing, Kate =o)

I usually just stick with 3, 4 or 5 RL pack of 50.

Did you actually end up using 50 of them? Also, did u notice any difference between the 3 and 5 RL?

I usually just stick with 3, 4 or 5 RL pack of 50.

Did you actually end up using 50 of them? Also, did u notice any difference between the 3 and 5 RL?

Hey, Pete

Nah, I didn't need to use all 50. It's just a good idea to get 50 just incase you need to work on more scars later on. If you have a lot of scars then, hey 50 needles is a pretty good amount to have, right? But I think I only used about 10 needles total, because I needed to work on 1 or 2 scars at a time instead of doing my whole face all at once. I didn't wanna look too scary in public. lol

So yeah having 50 needles is just for later if you ever need em for future use. I couldn't really notice a difference, I just had the seller send me a mix of sizes. 3, 4 & 5. In the end, my scars healed the same way and it looks better. But I guess maybe it could work differently for others if they have bigger scars since everyone's skin is different and they could get better results from other sizes. Maybe they wanna get the bigger size to work on those scars. But hey, good luck on your LED therapy/dermaroller/needling session. :dance:

Oh yeah, here's another note. If you guys have raised scars..this can also help flatten and even it out. Because I had a surgery scar a long time ago that was raised. I ended up trying the tattoo needle method on it, my scar has now flatten and evened out. So just letting you guys know that you can give it a try on raised scars as well and hope that it works for you like it worked for me.

-Tony

good stuff Tony. congrats on your success!! sounds like the needles you use are very effective. I have wondered about needles like you used. this confirms that they can be used for scars. thanks for posting and keep up the great work buddy. :)

good stuff Tony. congrats on your success!! sounds like the needles you use are very effective. I have wondered about needles like you used. this confirms that they can be used for scars. thanks for posting and keep up the great work buddy. :)

Thanks Munsoned! Yeah, I really hope whoever wants to give self needling a try, to definitely use tattoo needles. You will get great results from it. :o)

Hey Plumpy!

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Do you thinks it will work for depressed scar ( dents, left after steroid injections)?

I am suffering big time from an awful scars due to steroid shots which were injected in my Hip/butt area. And since 3 shots were done on the same butt cheek (pardon me), the area sunk 1,8 cm. Looks veryyyyyyyyyy freaky. Almost 1/3 of my butt cheek is gone... I am very depressed. It's affecting me so much.

Well, i was self injecting myself too, just like you. But in my case I was injecting with Saline solition 0.9 %. I did 3 round of treatments. So far there is only 10% of improvment. Not much (((

I still have big dent in my hip in a size of an apple (((

Do u think it will work in my case?

Thanks again for a great info and helping others

xoxo

Hey Plumpy!

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Do you thinks it will work for depressed scar ( dents, left after steroid injections)?

I am suffering big time from an awful scars due to steroid shots which were injected in my Hip/butt area. And since 3 shots were done on the same butt cheek (pardon me), the area sunk 1,8 cm. Looks veryyyyyyyyyy freaky. Almost 1/3 of my butt cheek is gone... I am very depressed. It's affecting me so much.

Well, i was self injecting myself too, just like you. But in my case I was injecting with Saline solition 0.9 %. I did 3 round of treatments. So far there is only 10% of improvment. Not much (((

I still have big dent in my hip in a size of an apple (((

Do u think it will work in my case?

Thanks again for a great info and helping others

xoxo

Hi Rush,

Oh gosh, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. To be honest, I seriously don't know if this would help. Since what you got is a huge depressed scar on your hip. I've only worked on the scars on my face, so I really don't know if it would work anywhere else on your body.

What you can try to do is just needle a small section of the scar, maybe a "DIME" size just to test it out. Don't do the whole entire scar and see if your scar improves, if it plumps up. If it does then maybe it could help somewhat. Best wishes to you. =]

The part about being dark skinned, you said that its not a good idea to try this because of hyperpigmentation. I'm light brown, indian decent, does that make me not a good candidate for this?

The part about being dark skinned, you said that its not a good idea to try this because of hyperpigmentation. I'm light brown, indian decent, does that make me not a good candidate for this?

Hi Mclarensupra,

There's a chance you may not get hyperpigmentation/hypopigmentation, you would just have to test it out to see for yourself, maybe try it on a small scar to see what happens. I only added that because I read on a website before that it might not be a good idea if you are dark skinned, that it could lead to hyperpigmentation.

But, I think I have seen pictures before on here of people with dark/light brown skin doing needling and they turned out fine. I guess it just depends on how well your skin heals. :think:

Plumpy said:
Mclarensupra said:

Hi Mclarensupra,

There's a chance you may not get hyperpigmentation/hypopigmentation, you would just have to test it out to see for yourself, maybe try it on a small scar to see what happens. I only added that because I read on a website before that it might not be a good idea if you are dark skinned, that it could lead to hyperpigmentation.

But, I think I have seen pictures before on here of people with dark/light brown skin doing needling and they turned out fine. I guess it just depends on how well your skin heals. :think:

I've done a test spot on feb 13th which is about 6 weeks.  I spent 2 hours last night self needling everywhere. Then leds after

Mclarensupra said:
Plumpy said:
Mclarensupra said:

Hi Mclarensupra,

I

That's great to hear, let us know how your self needling experience turns out. If your scar improves, good luck Supra! :dance:

Plumpy said:
Mclarensupra said:
Plumpy said:
Mclarensupra said:

Hi Mclarensupra,

That's great to hear, let us know how your self needling experience turns out. If your scar improves, good luck Supra! :dance:

I will definitely let everyone know how it goes, wish me luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

You mentioned not to attempt needling on the nose; have you tried this yourself? I've also heard varying suggestions from members regarding needling this region, and I hope to find more input on this.

Has anybody tried needling nose scars, pitted/scarred pores? What were your results?

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

You mentioned not to attempt needling on the nose; have you tried this yourself? I've also heard varying suggestions from members regarding needling this region, and I hope to find more input on this.

Has anybody tried needling nose scars, pitted/scarred pores? What were your results?

Hey sosowie,

Nah, I never tried it on my nose. I don't have any scars on it. I only read on some of the topics where some people have tried needling on their nose and ended up making it worse than before. So I was just giving others a heads up to not try needling their nose or else it will mess it up. I guess the nose just heals differently, but if someone has had success with it. Please share your experience. :D

Im in the process of also needling some scars on my nose...and thus far they have responded well to it

But I am also using a C serum, Retinol, and LEDs

PS Plumpy...I am of Indian decent too, medium brown skin...and it might be due to the serums, but after rolling (aggressive with 1.5mm roller), I do not get hyperpigmentation

Im in the process of also needling some scars on my nose...and thus far they have responded well to it

But I am also using a C serum, Retinol, and LEDs

PS Plumpy...I am of Indian decent too, medium brown skin...and it might be due to the serums, but after rolling (aggressive with 1.5mm roller), I do not get hyperpigmentation

Hey Crzyakta,

That's excellent news, I hope it turns out great for you after it's done healing. Please keep us updated with your progress. That's good that you didn't get any hyperpigmentation, but there's always that slightest chance people who are dark skinned could get hyperpigmentation though. But I hope that it doesn't happen to anyone. And that we all get good results from needling. :whistle:

I'm new here.

Is needling and dermarolling the same thing? Like needling with a single needle instead of roll with mult-needles on that roller?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

The thing is I have scars on my temple areas so it's hard to try to needle in front of the mirror due to the difficult angle. And the fact that I am clueless to what needling/dermarolling is, also doesn't help. I have rolling scars so is this technique efficient for it?

Thanks

They have the same concept, but are different devices

the dermarollers allow for multiple punctures within scarred tissue, and cause a much more overall healing response

needling lets you treat individual scars and allows for better depth control and puncture angles...I like use both in conjunction, but there are areas of the face where you can only needle, like the nose

I use them both to treat ice picks and boxscars, someone else might be able to help you more for your issue...one thing that helps is to stretch the skin taut prior to puncturing

I see.

So you stretch your skin prior and during the puncturing progress?

Also, wouldn't dermarolling pierce regular un-scared skin as well as the scars? Isn't that counter-productive as many people stress (when needling), only puncture the scar area?