Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys, I introduced myself in the other section but i will be posting mostly here as I dont get acne very much anymore, just the scarring that was left behind. Anyway, I'm in my mid 20s now and have had acne of some sort for close to a decade. About 4 years ago my acne started to really clear up and while it was still noticeable I was actually happy because I thought it was going away and it was much better than it had been in high school. Yet, just when I thought i was clearing up about 1.5 - 2 years ago i began to notice scarring develop on the majority of my face (i had acne almost everywhere on my face in high school).

I'm now at the point where the scarring and the discoloration from that looks worse than my acne ever did. As with some of you, it almost gets worse as you get older bc people assume that someone in their mid 20s should have clear skin by now. So, needless to say most people probably assume that I am 15 or something.

I dont really get acne anymore beyond the occasional breakout every couple months or so but im not really worried about that anymore.

After all of these years, I thought I would join this forum to hopefully get a little advice for getting rid of these scars. I guess I'll give it one last try before I give up on having even mediocre skin for good.

there are so many things i havent done bc of my acne. i used to be smart, funny, attractive and now i am none of those things bc i couldn't bring myself to really get out there and do things bc i was ugly. To say i suffer from depression would be a huge understatement. Although I wasn't the happiest person even before acne. My family doesnt really care bc they think i am depressed for other reasons, even though i tell them that if i had clear skin i may not be happy but i would at least be content with life.

Sometimes i wonder that even if god granted me a miracle and i woke up tomorrow with clear skin, would i be any happier? i mean i missed out completely on the best years of my life bc of severe acne and i cant go back in time. even if my skin did get clear, i would always be reminded of all the parties I never went to, all the colleges i didnt apply to, all the jobs i didnt take, all the girls i never asked out for the rest of my life.

not that it matters bc i have severe scarring now which will never go away and even if it did, i already let life pass me by.

My skin is really really sensitive and most of the topical stuff that i have tried over the years has made my skin really red and caused breakouts. Right now I use cetaphil soap in the shower, take vitamins (one general mens vitamin a day and one capsule of vitamin e a day) and hope. this process hasnt really done much for me, but i hope it is preventing my skin from getting worse.

I have a tube of mederma that i may begin to use tomorrow, but i havent decided. The past decade has been filled with differnt medications and dermatologist visits only to get me dissapointed when they didnt work out.

I'll post up a few pics when i figure out how to. My main goal for right now is to decrease the redness of the scarring so it doesnt stand out as much.

thanks for the help in advance

Hey man,

I'm 25 years old who is suffering from mild/moderate acne. I always had acne my entire life, but it never really bothered me because I always thought I was 'going to grow out of it'. And to some extent, I did. I haven't had acne for the past three years (at least acne in noticeable places). But just this past January 2009, I got a pretty bad break out and now I've been getting pimples on my cheeks, which leave pretty bad, hyperpigmented blemishes. I went to several dermatologists who prescribed me solodyn, doryx, clindamycin, benzaclin and differen - all oral medications gave me allergic reactions and all topcal medications gave me bad bad rashes. I wish I had never seena dermatologist. I've given up on all topical and oral medications, and I'm just taking a more simple regimen of just cleansing and moisturizing. I don't know if its been working, but my face feels healthier (aka not dry, not flaky, not burning).

Anyways, I know what you are going through. My whole life, I've been outgoing, social and fun - but now, with all these pimples and blemishes, I'm afraid to do the things I used to do, which is such a let down. I'm doing better emotionally now, but I've been on a rollercoaster of anxiety and depression. Sometimes I'll have a good day and sometimes I'll have a bad day. And all this stems from the fact that I'm uncomfortable with how I look. Its really affecting my social life, my personal relationships, my career and all that.

With that said, if there is one thing I can't stand, its when people tell me "Your face is fine!" , especially when they have perfect skin! I'm convinced that they are saying it to just be polite and to lift my spirits. I know my face is bad - it looks so different from 3 months ago.

But after reviewing your pictures, I'm going to have to say it, as someone who knows what you are going through, your face looks good! I'm not saying it to be polite - I really mean it. You're skin looks so healthy and clear! I wish I had skin like yours! And as for scars, I don't know what you're talking about. Everyone has a few marks here and there, but your scars are barely noticeable! The scars are similar in color to the rest of your skin, and they are very shallow, you don't even notice them! Again, I'm not trying to be polite or anything like that - I really think you're skin looks good, with barely any scars!

haha I've been driving myself crazy too. I'm willing to dish out all kinds of money for plastic surgery or SOMETHING that would make my face clear. I've done all sorts of research day after day - all of the available procedures just seem too risky and will probably only make matters worse. But its just something I need to come to terms with - this is what I look like now, and I've got make the best out of my situation.

Hi guys, I introduced myself in the other section but i will be posting mostly here as I dont get acne very much anymore, just the scarring that was left behind. Anyway, I'm in my mid 20s now and have had acne of some sort for close to a decade. About 4 years ago my acne started to really clear up and while it was still noticeable I was actually happy because I thought it was going away and it was much better than it had been in high school. Yet, just when I thought i was clearing up about 1.5 - 2 years ago i began to notice scarring develop on the majority of my face (i had acne almost everywhere on my face in high school).

I'm now at the point where the scarring and the discoloration from that looks worse than my acne ever did. As with some of you, it almost gets worse as you get older bc people assume that someone in their mid 20s should have clear skin by now. So, needless to say most people probably assume that I am 15 or something.

I dont really get acne anymore beyond the occasional breakout every couple months or so but im not really worried about that anymore.

After all of these years, I thought I would join this forum to hopefully get a little advice for getting rid of these scars. I guess I'll give it one last try before I give up on having even mediocre skin for good.

there are so many things i havent done bc of my acne. i used to be smart, funny, attractive and now i am none of those things bc i couldn't bring myself to really get out there and do things bc i was ugly. To say i suffer from depression would be a huge understatement. Although I wasn't the happiest person even before acne. My family doesnt really care bc they think i am depressed for other reasons, even though i tell them that if i had clear skin i may not be happy but i would at least be content with life.

Sometimes i wonder that even if god granted me a miracle and i woke up tomorrow with clear skin, would i be any happier? i mean i missed out completely on the best years of my life bc of severe acne and i cant go back in time. even if my skin did get clear, i would always be reminded of all the parties I never went to, all the colleges i didnt apply to, all the jobs i didnt take, all the girls i never asked out for the rest of my life.

not that it matters bc i have severe scarring now which will never go away and even if it did, i already let life pass me by.

My skin is really really sensitive and most of the topical stuff that i have tried over the years has made my skin really red and caused breakouts. Right now I use cetaphil soap in the shower, take vitamins (one general mens vitamin a day and one capsule of vitamin e a day) and hope. this process hasnt really done much for me, but i hope it is preventing my skin from getting worse.

I have a tube of mederma that i may begin to use tomorrow, but i havent decided. The past decade has been filled with differnt medications and dermatologist visits only to get me dissapointed when they didnt work out.

I'll post up a few pics when i figure out how to. My main goal for right now is to decrease the redness of the scarring so it doesnt stand out as much.

thanks for the help in advance

thanks man,

I'm a year younger than you and I kind of agree with you in that acne bothers me more now than it used to. when you are 16, there are at least a few other people dealing with acne too and you are kind of supposed to have at least a little acne at that age. Now though as you are around people your own age and older (everyone I hang out with is in their mid 20s or older) it is just weird to still have skin issues at this age because no one else that i come into contact with in my life has any skin issues at all.

Dermatologist suck man, actually i dont like doctors of any kind. I hate it when people pretend to care about the suffering of others when they are really just thinking about what they are gonna eat for dinner. I guess i just dont trust doctors to actually care about my well being.

Yeah, I could never take anything topical because it made my skin worse and oral medications didnt do much for me.

I appreciate the comments man. A lot of it is just the fact that I have dealt with acne for a decade now and I know that I wont be satisfied until my skin is great. As for the pics, I should have taken better ones as the scarring is quite bad. It doesnt help that I am still in school and the lighting at these places is not exactly favorable for me. I have a couple very small individual scars on my forehead but i dont even notice those anymore.

The main thing is that I have two really big scars (one on each cheek) that are about 3 inches in diameter. This is where I had my worst acne back in the past and the whole area just seemed to develop one really big scar rather than individual scars. I basically have large sections of each cheek with no undamaged skin there. These scars are also much more red than the rest of my face, so getting rid of the redness is my first priority.

I just figure that I am getting so old that I might as well give it one last go around trying to have a life. I take vitamins, exercise regularly and have an extremely healthy diet. Yet, these techniques havent really made the situation better, although they have prevented it from getting worse.

I just started using mederma and am thinking about scheduling an appointment at a dermatologist ( although i am nervous about this because of costs and getting my hopes up). I guess it is just better to try something than to be unhappy all my life.

You are more secure than me man. After all these years, I'm simply unable to make the best of the situation. I feel like i need to have perfect skin because that is the reality of our world. The better looking you are, the better your life will generally be. I want a good life and therefore feel the need to look good.

I've done a ton of research on here as well about scar procedures and i feel like there is no good solution to our problems. For now I will stick to my vitamins, mederma, exercise and diet. I actually have some money that I could spend and I could sell my car for more money if i thought the procedure would actually work. I just cant imagine spending 5k on scar procedures that dont work or even make them worse, i wouldnt be able to handle that kind of dissapointment.

Good luck man

No way am I secure! I've been a complete mess these past several months. All my confidence has disappeared because of a recent terrible break out. However, as I'm able to speak to other people who are going through the same thing and as realize that (maybe) its not the end of the world, I'm slowly able to put myself back together. Just last week, I locked myself in my room and slept the entire weekend. I know I'm never going to be as confident as I was 3 months ago, because i have blemishes and scars that will be there for the rest of my life. And I have yet to make the best out of my situation. Talking to other people certainly helps though!

thanks man,

I'm a year younger than you and I kind of agree with you in that acne bothers me more now than it used to. when you are 16, there are at least a few other people dealing with acne too and you are kind of supposed to have at least a little acne at that age. Now though as you are around people your own age and older (everyone I hang out with is in their mid 20s or older) it is just weird to still have skin issues at this age because no one else that i come into contact with in my life has any skin issues at all.

Dermatologist suck man, actually i dont like doctors of any kind. I hate it when people pretend to care about the suffering of others when they are really just thinking about what they are gonna eat for dinner. I guess i just dont trust doctors to actually care about my well being.

Yeah, I could never take anything topical because it made my skin worse and oral medications didnt do much for me.

I appreciate the comments man. A lot of it is just the fact that I have dealt with acne for a decade now and I know that I wont be satisfied until my skin is great. As for the pics, I should have taken better ones as the scarring is quite bad. It doesnt help that I am still in school and the lighting at these places is not exactly favorable for me. I have a couple very small individual scars on my forehead but i dont even notice those anymore.

The main thing is that I have two really big scars (one on each cheek) that are about 3 inches in diameter. This is where I had my worst acne back in the past and the whole area just seemed to develop one really big scar rather than individual scars. I basically have large sections of each cheek with no undamaged skin there. These scars are also much more red than the rest of my face, so getting rid of the redness is my first priority.

I just figure that I am getting so old that I might as well give it one last go around trying to have a life. I take vitamins, exercise regularly and have an extremely healthy diet. Yet, these techniques havent really made the situation better, although they have prevented it from getting worse.

I just started using mederma and am thinking about scheduling an appointment at a dermatologist ( although i am nervous about this because of costs and getting my hopes up). I guess it is just better to try something than to be unhappy all my life.

You are more secure than me man. After all these years, I'm simply unable to make the best of the situation. I feel like i need to have perfect skin because that is the reality of our world. The better looking you are, the better your life will generally be. I want a good life and therefore feel the need to look good.

I've done a ton of research on here as well about scar procedures and i feel like there is no good solution to our problems. For now I will stick to my vitamins, mederma, exercise and diet. I actually have some money that I could spend and I could sell my car for more money if i thought the procedure would actually work. I just cant imagine spending 5k on scar procedures that dont work or even make them worse, i wouldnt be able to handle that kind of dissapointment.

Good luck man

thanks man,

Good luck man

Hey Guys,

I would like to suggest that both of you look into the dermarolling threads in the scar forum. There are a couple of guys who have detailed their progress with this treatment. It's not a quick fix but I can tell you that it is working for me. It's also relatively inexpensive and you can do it yourself as opposed to shelling out mucho bucks for other treatments.

I have large hypopigmented rolling scars on both cheeks (from a CO2 laser session) and rolling scars on my forehead. The scars on my cheeks are hard to describe because I have never seen anyone else with this problem. They cover approximately 60% of both cheeks. Hard to cover with makeup because even the most pigmented concealer won't cover it. My skin felt like rubber. I started dermarolling in January (using a 1.5mm every six weeks and a 0.5mm roller weekly) and using copper peptide and Retin-A topicals. The coloration of my scars has not changed but my skin looks plumper and feels more like skin and not rubber. The waxy look of the scars is also much better. I am going to keep going because I have tried almost everything else except fillers and nothing really helped. The dermarolling has done wonders for my self-confidence.

The guys on the board who have made valuable contributions to the dermarolling topic are lamarr and The Legend. Look them up. There are a couple people that are documenting their dermarolling and also have some great practical advice but their names escape me (munsooned...something like that). Check the threads. These guys are awesome.

Take care and best of luck to you. :comfort:

C.

I've read a few dermarolling logs on acne.org. Though it took a long time and though there were probably periods where their faces seemed worse (blood and all), the progress is pretty impressive. Over time, their scars became less noticeable. Unfortunately, I don't know if this would work for me. I have rolling scars on my jaw line, but I don't really care to get rid of them (I've had them for so long, I guess I'm just accustomed to them). The marks that bother me are the hyperpigmented scars I have on my cheek. These marks are not indented or anything, so I don't know if dermarolling will fix anything for my skin. I just want my skin to be one color! Furthermore, my skin tone is dark, so any wounds I make on my face will probably leave hyperpigmented scars. That's why I'm so scared to get peels or dermabrasion or anything like that. :(

thanks man,

Good luck man

Hey Guys,

I would like to suggest that both of you look into the dermarolling threads in the scar forum. There are a couple of guys who have detailed their progress with this treatment. It's not a quick fix but I can tell you that it is working for me. It's also relatively inexpensive and you can do it yourself as opposed to shelling out mucho bucks for other treatments.

I have large hypopigmented rolling scars on both cheeks (from a CO2 laser session) and rolling scars on my forehead. The scars on my cheeks are hard to describe because I have never seen anyone else with this problem. They cover approximately 60% of both cheeks. Hard to cover with makeup because even the most pigmented concealer won't cover it. My skin felt like rubber. I started dermarolling in January (using a 1.5mm every six weeks and a 0.5mm roller weekly) and using copper peptide and Retin-A topicals. The coloration of my scars has not changed but my skin looks plumper and feels more like skin and not rubber. The waxy look of the scars is also much better. I am going to keep going because I have tried almost everything else except fillers and nothing really helped. The dermarolling has done wonders for my self-confidence.

The guys on the board who have made valuable contributions to the dermarolling topic are lamarr and The Legend. Look them up. There are a couple people that are documenting their dermarolling and also have some great practical advice but their names escape me (munsooned...something like that). Check the threads. These guys are awesome.

Take care and best of luck to you. :comfort:

C.

well, i decided to start trying the mederma. it says to use 8 weeks on new scars and 3-6 months on old scars though. i guess if i had my scars for 1.5-2 years, they are old scars? i dont know.

either way i have used it as directed for about 3 weeks now and have seen no change. it may be making my scarring even more red though. overall, it isnt making them too much worse though.

i think i will stick with it for a while longer as applying it doesnt really bother me as ppl cant really notice if you applied it or not (it is clear). i figure i might as well stay with this to see if it will start working better in the next couple of weeks or until i go to a dermatologist and they tell me to do something differently.

Bob83,

I tried Mederma. It didn't work for me.

One thing I will suggest (which I just bought and am waiting for) is Terproline cream. It is mentioned in the dermarolling blogs. The cream designed to promote scar reduction. It's made by a UK company.

http://www.skinmed.co.uk/scarring/index.html

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that your skin looks really good. I know we are all our harshest critics but if my skin looked as good as yours, I'd be over the moon.

Don't give up. We are all in this together in some ways.

C.

yeah, i figured that mederma wouldnt really work but for 25 bucks i thought that i would at least try something.

that Terproline cream looks interesting, i'm looking at topicals right now because i feel like one of the main reasons my scars both me so much is because the scarred area is much redder than the rest of my face so i am trying to reduce the redness before i actually try to get id of the scars. i just hate trying out a bunch of different things on my face because i feel that all this stuff may irritate it.

thanks for the comment, i think it is just difficult for me to take a good picture that shows how bad it is. it is starting to get hot here so maybe i'll try to take some pics while outside so you can see it better

I am lucky in the fact that I never spent very much money dealing with my acne and scars. When I had acne, most of the medicine was covered by my insurance and I gave up on buying topicals at the drug store years ago. I actually have a few grand that i could spend on things to deal with my scarring, i'm just not confident that any of that stuff will actually work on my scars and i'm afraid that i'll spend a few thousand dollars and my skin will come out worse.

I think i will call a few dermatologists tomorrow morning to try to schedule an appointment with a few of them. I hate to do that because of terrible past experiences, but i feel like i dont have any other good options right now.

Are you freaking kidding me? I looked at your pics. Severe scarring!! You look fine!! You do NOT have severe scarring, i barely saw anything. So cheer the hell up.

dude, come on. I'm not trying to get into a contest to see who has the worst skin. you don't know what i've been through with this and i don't know what you've been through.

i feel really bad about it and i am posting to get some help/advice to improve my life, that's all.

I'll be sure to post pics after i try anything new in my gallery.