Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tk939

is an astringent it for oily skin?

I just came back from my dermatologist, where I asked him if there was anything that could be done for my oily skin. My dermatologist told me that the only thing I can really do is to use an astringent like witch hazel, and that's it. Is that really it, or is there something more I can do?

Are you talking about getting rid of acne/clogged pores, or just controlling the oily skin?

Well in my humble opinion your derm sounds like a fool, witch hazel and other astringents at best will just remove surface oil. It will do nothing for whiteheads and blackheads, and most likely will overdry the surface of your skin and trap the oils in your pores thus causing more acne.

just controlling oily skin, and he did warn me that an astringent could do more harm than good and cause more acne. that's why i asked the question, is that the only thing that would do anything for oily skin?

Witch Hazel might be too over drying for your skin. I would try an alcohol free toner that won't irritate and possibly aggravate your skin.

My dermatologist suggested I buy a toner called Aqua Glycolic. I heard it's for oily skin (online) but he reccomended it to me for my blackheads so that might be an option for you.

IMO, witch hazel is very drying and very strong. I wouldn't suggest using it.