Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mireiyu

Strawberry Gashes

So, here I am. I may as well attempt to keep a log. It will probably help me to get more strict with my regimen... which I am still somewhat winging right now.

Here is some background information:

*I have had acne since I was 12. Most of it was mild until I reached adulthood. Now it floats between mild and moderate. I'll be 26 in less than 2 weeks.

*I have sensitive skin.

*I am excessively oily. My oil usually comes back 30 - 60 minutes after washing. I use oil wipes about 2 - 3 times a day.

*My skin under the oil tends to be flaky and dry.

*My face always hurts.

*My acne is typically focused on the sides of my face- lower to mid cheek area and my chin. It is usually sparse in the other places.

*Lotion and I do not get along very well.

*I have a weird schedule that doesn't always allow me to wash and speckle stuff on my face when I need to.

*I recently had my skin under decent control until 3 things happened in close proximity to each other to completely destroy it. I switched to a product my skin did not like, I was due for my period, and a pipe burst while I was in the shower resulting in bathing in rust and other filth. Tomorrow, it will be two weeks since the pipesplosion.

Here is my proposed regimen, hopefully twice a day 10 - 12 hours apart:

*Wash gently with original Neutrogena bar. It is the only stuff besides PEARS that my face does not freak out about. If I could find PEARS, I would be using that. Best face wash I have ever used. Freakin' Walgreens stopped carrying it, and no one else has it. I'm considering Ebaying for it, but I have a feeling it will disappear causing withdrawal symptoms. =(

*Wait some amount of time.

*Witch hazel toner. Low in alcohol. I would love to find an alcohol free one. Still seems to really sooth my skin, though.

*AcneFree Terminator. New product for me. It is only 2% Benzoyl Peroxide, but still seems to work. Also has willow bark extract (anti-inflammatory), lactic acid (probably too low to do anything), and triclosan (will still do something in low doses). Tea tree oil for spots near or in hair.

*Fruit of the Earth Aloe gel. It seems to do me a lot better than lotion. Lotion makes me greasy and does not hydrate me at all. This at least does a little and smooths me out. Plus, being a gel, it works a lot better for oily skin. Bonus anti-inflammatory properties. (I use it for hair gel, too.)

*At some point(s) during the week, use a salicylic acid product to exfoliate. For now it is Neutrogena Acne Defense Lotion mixed with a drop or two of tea tree oil before bed. I am looking for a gel based product that is more suited to my skin.

*A few times a week use scotch tape to get rid of loose flakes.

*Any make up I use is Physicians Formula Mineral Wear, except for eyeshadow, eyeliner, and lip stain. All has to be gluten free.

*No picking, popping, scratching, slapping, or paddling.

*For spots that really hurt, I am considering using crushed aspirin to relieve the pain and inflammation.

Problems present by this:

*Two days of the week, I am gone from 8:00 AM to 11:30 PM. Work then school. I should be washing my face at 6 and 6. Not sure what to do about these days. I guess I could use excessive amounts of oil wipes and spot treat then re-cover with make up?

*Days I have to go out after work pose similar problems to the above posed problem. Yargh.

*Some days I end up having to wash and do my routine three times, due to oddities... such as having to go out at night when I had to day off or having to go out unexpectedly... or my cat drooling on my face. (Thanks, Nina! Four times and counting.)

*The wait some amount of time parameters listed above are not static, especially before going out for the day/night. I often tend to run out of time because I either don't get up on time, have stomach issues, or completely ADD my time away.

*I have a notorious habit of getting carried away with my hobbies and projects. Sometimes, I will not sleep a wink if I am really into a video game, reading, studying, or one of my various computer projects. This also means I sometimes either completely space out one of my face speckle adventure appointments or pass out doing what I am doing before I realize I missed said appointment.

If all else fails:

*Invest in Times Travels Face Bag. It allows me to travel through time at the speed of regular time.

Current affliction:

*6 or so very apparent pimples/red marks along my jawline and cheek on left side of face.

*6 or so very apparent pimples/red marks on my cheek on the right side of my face.

*Several faded pimples and 3 or so healing pimples on my chin.

*Several faded pimples and 3 or so healing pimples on my upper lip. Possibly 1 active.

*3 or so healing pimples on my nose/ brow line.

*1 active to healing pimple on the very delicate skin under my eye.

*3 or so healing pimples on my temples combined.

*Several faded pimples and several healing pimples on my forehead. Many are very small and hard to count.

*Overall texture is a bit damaged but is starting to smooth out already.

*Pores are medium sized and skin between doesn't seem puffy or inflamed.

*Blackheads are minimal.

So, how am I doing so far? Well, it is technically day 1 and a half. So far so good. I still have to work on the picking and popping, though. I have sort of been on this regimen a little closer to a week, but have not perfected it until... well, today, actually. I did start taking pictures 2 days ago, so I will count from there. If I ever get the courage, I will post them. IF I ever do. I had them up one day and saw that everyone looked at them more than my better pictures and felt horribly discouraged and disfigured... kinda like I was showing myself naked and covered in lacerations.

I think that's enough for now. Have fun making sense of my muddled bemusing and self loathing.

So, here I am. I may as well attempt to keep a log. It will probably help me to get more strict with my regimen... which I am still somewhat winging right now.

Here is some background information:

*I have had acne since I was 12. Most of it was mild until I reached adulthood. Now it floats between mild and moderate. I'll be 26 in less than 2 weeks.

*I have sensitive skin.

*I am excessively oily. My oil usually comes back 30 - 60 minutes after washing. I use oil wipes about 2 - 3 times a day.

*My skin under the oil tends to be flaky and dry.

*My face always hurts.

*My acne is typically focused on the sides of my face- lower to mid cheek area and my chin. It is usually sparse in the other places.

*Lotion and I do not get along very well.

*I have a weird schedule that doesn't always allow me to wash and speckle stuff on my face when I need to.

*I recently had my skin under decent control until 3 things happened in close proximity to each other to completely destroy it. I switched to a product my skin did not like, I was due for my period, and a pipe burst while I was in the shower resulting in bathing in rust and other filth. Tomorrow, it will be two weeks since the pipesplosion.

Here is my proposed regimen, hopefully twice a day 10 - 12 hours apart:

*Wash gently with original Neutrogena bar. It is the only stuff besides PEARS that my face does not freak out about. If I could find PEARS, I would be using that. Best face wash I have ever used. Freakin' Walgreens stopped carrying it, and no one else has it. I'm considering Ebaying for it, but I have a feeling it will disappear causing withdrawal symptoms. =(

*Witch hazel toner. Low in alcohol. I would love to find an alcohol free one. Still seems to really sooth my skin, though.

*AcneFree Terminator. New product for me. It is only 2% Benzoyl Peroxide, but still seems to work. Also has willow bark extract (anti-inflammatory), lactic acid (probably too low to do anything), and triclosan (will still do something in low doses). Tea tree oil for spots near or in hair.

*Fruit of the Earth Aloe gel. It seems to do me a lot better than lotion. Lotion makes me greasy and does not hydrate me at all. This at least does a little and smooths me out. Plus, being a gel, it works a lot better for oily skin. Bonus anti-inflammatory properties. (I use it for hair gel, too.)

*At some point(s) during the week, use a salicylic acid product to exfoliate. For now it is Neutrogena Acne Defense Lotion mixed with a drop or two of tea tree oil before bed. I am looking for a gel based product that is more suited to my skin.

*A few times a week use scotch tape to get rid of loose flakes.

*Any make up I use is Physicians Formula Mineral Wear, except for eyeshadow, eyeliner, and lip stain. All has to be gluten free.

*No picking, popping, scratching, slapping, or paddling.

*For spots that really hurt, I am considering using crushed aspirin to relieve the pain and inflammation.

Problems present by this:

*Two days of the week, I am gone from 8:00 AM to 11:30 PM. Work then school. I should be washing my face at 6 and 6. Not sure what to do about these days. I guess I could use excessive amounts of oil wipes and spot treat then re-cover with make up?

*Days I have to go out after work pose similar problems to the above posed problem. Yargh.

*Some days I end up having to wash and do my routine three times, due to oddities... such as having to go out at night when I had to day off or having to go out unexpectedly... or my cat drooling on my face. (Thanks, Nina! Four times and counting.)

*The wait some amount of time parameters listed above are not static, especially before going out for the day/night. I often tend to run out of time because I either don't get up on time, have stomach issues, or completely ADD my time away.

*I have a notorious habit of getting carried away with my hobbies and projects. Sometimes, I will not sleep a wink if I am really into a video game, reading, studying, or one of my various computer projects. This also means I sometimes either completely space out one of my face speckle adventure appointments or pass out doing what I am doing before I realize I missed said appointment.

If all else fails:

*Invest in Times Travels Face Bag. It allows me to travel through time at the speed of regular time.

Current affliction:

*6 or so very apparent pimples/red marks along my jawline and cheek on left side of face.

*6 or so very apparent pimples/red marks on my cheek on the right side of my face.

*Several faded pimples and 3 or so healing pimples on my chin.

*Several faded pimples and 3 or so healing pimples on my upper lip. Possibly 1 active.

*3 or so healing pimples on my nose/ brow line.

*1 active to healing pimple on the very delicate skin under my eye.

*3 or so healing pimples on my temples combined.

*Several faded pimples and several healing pimples on my forehead. Many are very small and hard to count.

*Overall texture is a bit damaged but is starting to smooth out already.

*Pores are medium sized and skin between doesn't seem puffy or inflamed.

*Blackheads are minimal.

So, how am I doing so far? Well, it is technically day 1 and a half. So far so good. I still have to work on the picking and popping, though. I have sort of been on this regimen a little closer to a week, but have not perfected it until... well, today, actually. I did start taking pictures 2 days ago, so I will count from there. If I ever get the courage, I will post them. IF I ever do. I had them up one day and saw that everyone looked at them more than my better pictures and felt horribly discouraged and disfigured... kinda like I was showing myself naked and covered in lacerations.

I think that's enough for now. Have fun making sense of my muddled bemusing and self loathing.

Niiiice keep up the good work! :dance:

Thanks, Rachel. I'll try to keep it up. Haha. >.>

I can only give a quick update, as I'm supposed to be up in four hours. x_x

So, I didn't even stick with this regimen. Haha. Talk about commitment. I used it for only a few more days after that. My skin started to bother me a lot. It was far too uncomfortable, and my skin was itchy and very dry. Uncomfortable face = touching, picking, and squeezing. I always know that I have an issue with benzoyl peroxide, but I never listen to myself.

For a week, I just used tea tree oil, a bit of vitamin e oil, and aloe gel. I made a mix of them. It worked great for the first few days. I had never seen such reduction in hyper pigmentation in my life. My skin stopped being dry, and I started to get a glow. Almost all of my inflamed acne faded away. However, I did start to experience closed comedones. My whole face is bumpy- it feels like it has grains under the skin, but it is not red. I only have two active inflamed marks right now. That is quite an improvement from when I started the log. However, I am back to being uncomfortable. Yargh.

For now, until I get some proper products, I'm using some of my left over Neutrogena salicylic acid products to exfoliate, diluted tea tree oil for prevention/healing, and using my concoction for inflamed spot treatment. It works really, really well to heal up wounds on the body. I wish it worked better on my face.

I'm still looking for a proper moisturizer. Everyone that looks promising has ingredients that I know will make my comedones worse and promote inflamed acne. I've only ever seen one lotion that might work. It was about $20, though. I'm too stubborn to pay that right now.

I'd like to think that this is all purging, but the fact that I have bumps in places I never had them or inflamed acne before tells me otherwise. It was fun while it lasted. I loved having glowing skin, even if it was only for a week.

Oh yes... I also switch to a gel based face wash. It's Alba pineapple enzime cleanser. Something to that effect. (Bathroom is too far away.) It has no ingredients marked as even a 1 on the acne detective website and doesn't make my skin feel tight. $12, but worth it. Just don't get it in your eyes. The citric acid and enzymes in it will burn like hell. HELL!

Waiting for my Paula's Choice BHA liquid and toner samples, as well as Every Day Minerals samples.

Hmmm.. not so quick after all. I'm off. Maybe by my next post I'll have a more steady regimen.

Okay, I should so be asleep. >.> I've been so bad lately.

I usually get papules and pustules, focused mainly on my cheeks and somewhat on my chin. Occasional white heads, very few black heads around my tee zone that would easily come out, and small amount of closed comedones only in my tee zone. Now it's flipped. I have almost all closed comedones on my face- forehead, nose, jaw line, temples, and below my ears.

I would generally be categorized somewhere between mild and moderate, swinging to both sides throughout the year. Right now, I've managed to slip myself into the mild category. I do fear my period in two weeks, if these don't go away. I will be inflamed like crazy.

My birthday is next Thursday- April 9. I don't want to believe it's here yet. When is yours, Molly?

So, I still do not have an official regimen yet.

For now, I have been doing a few major things. I exfoliate in the morning and at night. I have been using the Neutrogena Acne Defense lotion. I got some Paula's Choice samples, too. BHA liquid and toner- I really like them. I also have been using a baby hair brush at night to exfoliate gently and remove daily grime. I still use diluted tea tree oil to quell infections. I've been doing this consistently for about a week.

So far, so good. I got rid of most of the surface congestion I had. My skin is much smoother. I have been getting fewer new spots as well. I'm down to one to three every few days, even though I am due for my period sometime between now and Thursday. Much better than before.

I still feel embarrassed about my face, though. I get so very oily all of the time. My face is constantly extremely shiny. You would think I use baby oil on my face by the look of it. Due to the oil, my make up does not cover my spots all day long. I probably don't look as badly as I think... still embarrassed though. I imagine people thinking that I don't wash. =(

My hyper pigmentation is fading on my cheeks, but not so much on my chin, upper lip, and jaw line.

I got some samples of Everyday Minerals. I love it. I can actually get my skin tone. No orange face. I had to get the palest of the pale. Still doesn't stay on with the oil issue. =/

I think I will invest in new products: Paula's Choice BHA and toner; Everyday Minerals make up. I still need a good lotion. I wonder if it exists.

Other news... The job I started Monday is going well. I'm tired as hell, but I am having fun. I feel like I'm in class all day, but getting paid for it. Everyone is really nice, too. I love finally being able to work in my field, even if I am just the Help Desk.

I'm doing a little bit better. Almost all of the congestion is gone, but I still have inflamed spots. My hyper pigmentation is a bit worse, as I have been walking to work most days since I started. I still can't find a safe sun screen. I guess my make up isn't enough. (I'm fed up with wearing make up, anyway.)

My regimen has been mostly the same. I bumped up using the baby hair brush to twice a day, with each wash. I use it only for a short time, and kind of just swipe it on my face like I would with a foundation brush. It stops my urge to wash my face twice at a time. I always had that feeling of not being clean enough before using the brush. Now after I wash, my face feels so soft and moisturized. It makes me wonder if I need lotion.

I've added lemon juice to my tea tree water. Now I use that combo as a toner. It seems to be working well, especially on my back and chest. My spots get a bit more red at first, but my skin looks smoother and even slightly dewy once it dries. Still the fricken' spots, though!

I'm still using the Neutrogena Acne Defense lotion. It will do for now. I just wish it were a little lighter. I haven't felt the need for moisturizer for two weeks now. This almost seems to be too much.

I'm still using the Alba Pineapple Enzyme Cleanser. I have no complaints about it at all. It smells good enough to eat.

I need something for the few left over papules and pustules I have. It really is minimal, but I would like them to not be... anymore. Straight tea tree oil seems to be less effective on me than diluted. Benzoyl peroxide is the devil. All sulfur products I have found are irritating. Not picking or popping works, at least.

I'm so sick of foundation and concealer. None of it looks right, ever. I can find bases in my tone but never any concealer. All concealers look yellow or orange on me, including the fairest available. My oiliness destroys all make up. I can oil blot all I want. Still melts off.

Liquid mineral make up is shit. I just feel like I have a break out potion on my face. Ditto that for liquid or cream make up. Loose powder makes me look old and dry or not covered at all. I am considering either going with out base or trying pressed powder. At this point, there are a lot of days where I think I look better without make up, as all of my spots are clearly visible to me, anyway. My boyfriend disagrees and tells me that I am over-reacting or being crazy. He's not the one that looks like he doesn't wash his face... (even though he is!)

My acne on my cheeks have subsided since I discovered my gluten intolerance. Any victory is acceptable in my book when it includes being able to live a bit more normally. Yay for not being sick everyday. Yay to finding a safe food store. Boo to it costing a lot.

I think I have to kick my self in the ass. I think this has gotten out of my ability to completely control due to a ovarian cyst I never had removed. I've known about it since September 07. My acne has been hard to control since a bit before then, and now my periods are dwindling away. I bleed for the first two days, but not as much as I should. Most of my period behaves more like spotting than anything. Considering that I used to have a fairly heavy period, I'm a bit concerned. I think I might be low in estrogen. My skin is dry, and I'm getting more moody and aggressive.

I'm still loving my new job. They seem to really trust me. I've been doing server checks and other maintenance. My advice has been listened to! I have a universal key that lets me get into anyone's office to work on their machine. I know how to administer the new phone system. In general, I'm not treated as just the help desk. They seem to value my ability to figure problems out and find further information. Because of all these things, I feel the need to do more.

My cats have still not forgiven me for being gone so much. I have never seen Johan so sad for so long before. =(

Bottom line: I may still have my strawberry gashes, but life is definitely getting better.