Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alternativista

Good Things For The Many Factors That Lead To Acne

Hi just looking at this thread again but it seems that most of the hyperlinks are broken and lead to the error: 

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you requested does not exist

While most of the hyperlinks in the food recipe thread are leading back to itself. 

Would I be correct in assuming that most of the links that link to acne.org are broken and would have to be fixed somehow?

On 3/30/2016 at 5:26 PM, beromagu said:

Hi just looking at this thread again but it seems that most of the hyperlinks are broken and lead to the error: 

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you requested does not exist

While most of the hyperlinks in the food recipe thread are leading back to itself. 

Would I be correct in assuming that most of the links that link to acne.org are broken and would have to be fixed somehow?

Yes. Every time they update the  server software links get broken & other weirdness happens.  I used to fix them, but don't haven't had time lately.  Sorry about that.   Most of the content i.e. the many ways diet affects acne: inflammation, liver, thyroid, sebum quality, food intolerance, etc is in the first couple of pages. So you can just scroll through.  

That's too bad about the Food & recipe thread.  It's been archived so can't be fixed.  But many were created by me & you can find them  by looking for my topics .http://www.acne.org/messageboard/profile/54738-alternativista/?tab=forums_topic  And searches might find the others.  
On 3/9/2016 at 9:17 PM, holdingontohope said:

What is good to do for getting rid of blackheads and clogged pores?

The only thing that ever worked for me is oil cleansing.  Edited by alternativista

I know I've raved about this in other threads, but I don't think I included it here. Look into LOW HISTAMINE DIET & LIFESTYLE people! I will link some of my older posts in my signature in case you have questions.

Hello, I had very problematic skin until I had a baby, so here are some tips that were useful to me:
- change your pillow sheets as much as you can, cause at night you sweat and your face is the one that suffers
- always use a clean towel when 
- watch out for what you eat and drink
- vitamins - you can't take enough vitamins through food, but there are some great supplements instead 
- when you exercise always have a clean towel next to you, and as soon as you finish wash your face
there are million technics and tips, but these are some basic ones that really helped me.

So for the last couple of weeks i eat  loads of fresh, healthy food and i drink more water. The strange thing is: now there are whiteheads all over my face :( Is it because my skin need to get used to the healthy stuff?

On May 27, 2017 at 2:32 AM, Noa27 said:

So for the last couple of weeks i eat  loads of fresh, healthy food and i drink more water. The strange thing is: now there are whiteheads all over my face :( Is it because my skin need to get used to the healthy stuff?

Do you still eat grains and wheat products? Those are considered healthy for some but it can also cause inflammation and increase in oil production to those who are sensitive to it.

I used to eat loads of fruits every single day thinking it was fine since it's healthy but I realized that too much of everything can be harmful to your health even fruits. Fruits contain sucrose. Sucrose is still sugar. Our Liver is responsible for breaking down sucrose. 

Now that I cut down my fruit intake, I noticed I have lesser clogged pores and my skin isn't that oily compared to before I started and i've only been doing it for 5 days. 

Great post. A lot of great information here. I battled acne for 20 years before I cured it with diet and lifestyle changes. I have noticed that a good diet keeps me clear. I avoid sugar completely. Of course I do slip now and then but mostly I have been clear for the past 4-5 years. 

1 hour ago, Ae1976 said:

Great post. A lot of great information here. I battled acne for 20 years before I cured it with diet and lifestyle changes. I have noticed that a good diet keeps me clear. I avoid sugar completely. Of course I do slip now and then but mostly I have been clear for the past 4-5 years. 

Hey there, I am so glad you were able to clear your skin. I've been trying to fix mine for almost as long as you but nothing has ever worked except Accutane, and even that was not permanent. I'm trying no sugar now, but may I ask how long it took for you to see any change on this kind of regimen? 

18 hours ago, freja said:

Hey there, I am so glad you were able to clear your skin. I've been trying to fix mine for almost as long as you but nothing has ever worked except Accutane, and even that was not permanent. I'm trying no sugar now, but may I ask how long it took for you to see any change on this kind of regimen? 
So after I stopped sugar it took about 2 weeks from the day I stopped to see a change. So I would say give it 2-4 weeks. I wrote about it on my blog which may help you. http://www.yourbeautychronicles.com/sugar-and-acne/

Hope this helps you.

On 8/31/2017 at 9:20 PM, Ae1976 said:
So after I stopped sugar it took about 2 weeks from the day I stopped to see a change. So I would say give it 2-4 weeks. I wrote about it on my blog which may help you. http://www.yourbeautychronicles.com/sugar-and-acne/

Hope this helps you.
Thank you so much! I am noticing an improvement in my forehead acne (which actually looks more like folliculitis (sp?) to me) but I am also very superstitious and don't want to make any bold claims yet, because my skin is apparently sentient and loves to have a zit party as soon as I think it's chilled out. :smileys_n_people_44: I will come back either way with an update in a couple more weeks time.

On 9/2/2017 at 6:52 PM, CelestialElf said:
Thank you so much! I am noticing an improvement in my forehead acne (which actually looks more like folliculitis (sp?) to me) but I am also very superstitious and don't want to make any bold claims yet, because my skin is apparently sentient and loves to have a zit party as soon as I think it's chilled out. :smileys_n_people_44: I will come back either way with an update in a couple more weeks time.
Please do update me. :-)

On 9/6/2017 at 0:08 AM, Ae1976 said:
On 9/2/2017 at 3:52 AM, CelestialElf said:
Please do update me. :-)
I wish I had pictures! My phone is actually a little TOO good, and automatically makes my skin look better than it is, lol ..

So it's only been 6 days, a bit premature maybe, but I'll just give an update, which turned out to be rather wordy, sorry!:

From what it was at the worst of the recent breakout I think I have improved about 85%. That's a big deal for me!! I still have some inflammation going on .. right now about 4 or five whiteheads in random locations of my face, and other red spots gathered on my lower cheeks that are just hyperpigmentation or clogged pores (these areas were the worst and are gonna take some time to heal. The folliculitis on my forehead is MUCH better, although one area close to the hairline is still bumpy and reddish. Before, I had some cystic stuff starting, and every single pore on my face was inflamed or a whitehead. So I can deal with this, lol! When it was really bad (about 2.5 weeks ago) my chest and back were starting to break out heinously. And my rocasea was VERY bad. I have been on accutane before, which cleared my back for years, so to see that PLUS chest acne suddenly? Pretty mortifying. Chest/bacne is about 70% better. Still somewhat itchy and inflamed but only 2-3 obvious whiteheads as opposed to 10-15. D: And the rocasea is better too, although people say ask me if I've gotten sun recently. :/ 

Clearing as much as I have like this simply does NOT happen for me unless I'm on Accutane. So I may have stumbled upon something here? I really hope it's not just a placebo or short term thing. Or just dumb luck which will reverse itself when I finally relax. :(

Here's what I'm doing that have helped:

-Eating a vegan, LOW GI, near-zero sugar diet with a good amount of plant fats (but no processed oils, and actually no processed anything except tofu)
-taking b5 (only 2 grams a day, not a megadose really, but a good amount)
- vitamin c (500mg twice daily), magnesium (can't remember dose, a standard amount I think), and a multi. Lysine for skin healing and also bc I get cold sores 
-vit d 10,000 IU a day (seems like a lot, but it's just 2 500ui pills a day, and is completely safe for most people)
-calming teas like chamomile help inflammation somewhat for me

I haven't changed anything else much at all. I still have terrible sleep habits and rarely get into the sun (I sleep during the day due to work and also being a vampire) so for me to clear a bit despite these bad habits is pretty neat! (By the way, when I say plant fats, I'm talking about things like avocados, chia, flax, coconut, and unprocessed unsalted nuts. I think the fats have helped my skin be less dry/eczema-ish and also slow down digestion and blood sugar spikes.)

I am lowering the dose of b5 to 1.5 grams a day bc what I'm taking seems effective and it's expensive stuff. The most important angles that I believe are helping are removing processed sugar completely from the diet (that includes things like agave, honey, or any kind of syrup), eating low GI, and b5. I am vegan for ethical and spiritual reasons, and have been for a while, but it has never helped my skin. In fact, the last two years I've eaten a very low fat somewhat high GI diet. It's kept me thin (healed my IBS) and lowered my cholesterol but I could never figure out why my skin was still crap! It's not like I've always eaten tons of sugar, but it seems like my indulgences in vegan junk food (cough oreos cough) might have been causing some issues. Plus I've always eaten a ton of white rice and white potatoes. Both of which are healthy, for normal people anyway. But I was born with a predisposition to hypoglycemia, and suddenly everything is starting to make sense! I obviously have trouble with insulin insensitivity! 

Sorry this was a long update. I had thai food tonight, veggies/tofu and brown rice, which I haven't had in a while. I also wore makeup, which I don't usually do. Hopefully these activities won't bother my skin. By the way, if this is not a fluke and I keep having progress, I will make my own thread with very detailed advice, just in case it helps others.) Edited by CelestialElf
clarification and forgetting stuff

My old hyperpigmentation is clearing. I get a tiny little bump once in awhile in random locations, but they aren't really whiteheads, more like a clogged pore. They go away quickly. Redness from rosacea is down a bunch. I'm only taking 1.5 grams of b5 a day, still eating the same way. I "cheated" yesterday with some vegan creamer that has sugar in it. I had a slight darkening of red spots but it's gone now so I really think sugar is a problem for me. I haven't been this clear since I was at the end of my courses of Accutane. This shit is CRAY ya'll. 

@CelestialElf I have read and saved your whole regimen, I am on a same diet as you currently avoiding junk food and sugar especially cause me too am suspecting that sugar is a big cause of my breakouts.
I stopped eating all kinds of sweets for a month and a half now and instead I eat fresh fruit and sometimes dried dates (they are my quilty pleasure) I don't know if they are breaking me out I should stop them for awile and see what happens, now I get only 2-3 cysts on each side on my cheeks (that's usually where I break out) but still my skin looks red and inflamed. You mentioned that honey should be avoided and that surprised me cause I consume honey instead of sugar, not often maybe 2-3 times a week or less for 1 teaspoon, I add it in my tea sometimes and in my oatmeal for a little sweetness..

I am planing on starting to take the vitamins suplements you mentioned, I am ashamed to say that I don't take any vitamins in pills thinking that the food like vegetables and fruits are already giving me the the needed dose and looks like I am wrong.. 

Anyway, thank you for sharing this and I look forward to hear more from your journey and how it is improving, hope you will get positive results. XX :) Edited by Persephona

I just eat green-leafy vegetables, beef, chicken, fatty fish, and certain brands of Greek yogurt. Most, if not all of my acne goes away. I have to avoid a lot of foods but I only care about eating yogurt, hahaha. 

I suffer from Chron's Disease a disease that is partly due to inflammation in the gut. There's thing that i've done naturally to reduce inflammation in my gut that helped my ACNE so much. I've been acne free for over a year. With consistency and taking a good look at your diet you might be able to get rid of toxins and inflammation in your gut as well. I decided to share some things that have really helped me. I hope this helps :) https://youtu.be/hRZ-6SPBQAc