Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nowonder

benzoyl peroxide - what's better, gel, cream, or other?

Just want to get a feel for which form is more effective, gel, cream, or other? Please post all findings, scientific, experience, and all others. Thanks for any help, later then.

Gels and serums are usually the best products for oily skin types, and creams and lotions better for dry.

I used a bp 'clearing gel' from dermalogica once (my skin is mildly oily) and I really liked it at first. Tho I started having to use more and more to get the same results as my skin adapted, and eventually the irritation was just too much, and it broke me out more. I think I must have used it wrong or something.

It really was good though!

i agree with charlotte. i think if you have oily skin, gel is much better. putting cream and lotion on my skin feels really heavy.

I actually read somewhere that gel penetrates the skin better than any other form, thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming if you have them. Thanks again. later then.

Hmm. I dind't know they came in other forms aside from some gel/creamy liquid. it's been my experience that applying it when your face is moist makes BP work better. Also, rubbing it into the skin too. Gels that are transparent tend not to work as well for me until I realized I wasn't working the gel into my skin like I would with less transparent BP gel/cream.

Since we're on this subject, I understand that BP oxidizes the skin thus preventing or killing bacteria to form on the skin. Question is how often do you apply? At what point does the face need to be rewashed and BP reapplied?

As far as 2.5% BPs (the kind that are recommended for The Regimen) go, I'd say Dan's gel-based BP is better than Neutrogena On The Spot, which is a cream.

Dan's BP goes on more smoothly, and doesn't dry up as fast, which means you have more time to move it around as it absorbs. It goes on clear, which is nice, and it's less drying that the NOTS. And it's triple milled which means it has smaller particles that are able to absorb more deeply into the skin. It also comes in a much larger, more cost-effective bottle.

That's not to say the NOTS is bad, though. It worked just as well as Dan's BP as far as clearing my acne went, and its quicker drying time meant that it didn't take as long to do The Regimen. I had less time to move it around, though, so sometimes I didn't feel that I got a nice, even application. And the cream was white, so it left a bit of a film on my face--it made my face look dusty when it was dry, and if I sweated or got wet, it would turn white again. The real killer, though, was the price. I was spending almost eight dollars dollars a week on a teeny little tube. Not cool.

So, basing my opinion on price, how drying they are, how they look after application, and ease of application, I'd have to say that gel-based BP is the way to go.