Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi everyone,

it's been a while since i've posted. so, after wanting to go on accutane for a long, long time (i suffer from mild/moderate but very persistent acne), and being rejected by one derm after another, i finally found a derm who is willing to prescribe me a low dose of accutane. :dance: only problem is, i'm starting to get cold feet now. :think: my boyfriend thinks i'm an idiot for even considering taking such a "dangerous" drug, but what the hell does he know?? his skin is freaking perfection. what makes me even more jealous is the fact that his skin is naturally perfect-- he eats and drinks whatever he wants; he rubs his face with his hands whenever he wants; he goes to bed without washing his face; he barely splashes water on his face and considers that washing; etc.-- and he never, ever breaks out. as for me, i've been on birth control pills, changed my diet, tried topicals, and been on antibiotics, and while i've had some success, sure enough, the acne always comes back after a short while. why is life so unfair??

anyway, sorry for going off on such a tangent. i'm wondering if anyone has any regrets in taking accutane. does anyone suffer from any long term side effects?

any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

--yOsh

hi everyone,

it's been a while since i've posted. so, after wanting to go on accutane for a long, long time (i suffer from mild/moderate but very persistent acne), and being rejected by one derm after another, i finally found a derm who is willing to prescribe me a low dose of accutane. :dance: only problem is, i'm starting to get cold feet now. :think: my boyfriend thinks i'm an idiot for even considering taking such a "dangerous" drug, but what the hell does he know?? his skin is freaking perfection. what makes me even more jealous is the fact that his skin is naturally perfect-- he eats and drinks whatever he wants; he rubs his face with his hands whenever he wants; he goes to bed without washing his face; he barely splashes water on his face and considers that washing; etc.-- and he never, ever breaks out. as for me, i've been on birth control pills, changed my diet, tried topicals, and been on antibiotics, and while i've had some success, sure enough, the acne always comes back after a short while. why is life so unfair??

anyway, sorry for going off on such a tangent. i'm wondering if anyone has any regrets in taking accutane. does anyone suffer from any long term side effects?

any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

--yOsh

Yosh- I would have to say that I don't believe you should take accutane for mild/moderate acne, but if you are going to make the decision to do so, Please do a low dose of maybe 10mg or 20mg for 15-20wks recommened.

Accutane is sppouse to be for severe cystic nodular acne or severe painful scarring cystic acne that does not respond to other tx.

Everyone indivudal is differnt in how accutane effects them. Some have been on low doses for a short time and got side effects, some have been on high doses with no side effects. Some get minor side effects that are permanant. Some get long term horrible side effects. It's a gamble that you take.

Also, some have had thier face clear up for a couple of months, a couple of years for the acne to only come back, some accutane has not worked for at all or has made thier mild and moderate acne worse. (i really didn't have bad acne two cysts and it made mine worse.)

Accutane is not necessarily a permanant fix......(have you tried light therapy or facial peels etc.)

Look at some of the pinned threads above that might help you too, and browsing some other posts on here. I haven't posted in the pinned thread yet, but there are some of my posts out there. Take the time to read some of the posts by other members. I had a very bad experince, rare side effects can happen. I was very healthy before accutane.

I suggest that you read the I-pledge book word for word, look on online and research, FDA has a 40 page print out on accutane also.

Your boyfriend, well he does have a point. My husband has a perfect face too, but the fact is he still loves me no matter what acne or no acne.

I know acne is hard, but nobody has the perfect body, we all have flaws in some way.

I hope this helps.

oli girl

The only regret I have with Accutane is that I did not take a course earlier. I am 26 years old now and for the first time in about 13 years I have clear skin its great! Accutane can be a bumpy ride but in my opinion so worth it. I don't have to worry about my skin now.

thanks for the response. :) my derm said i would be on a low dose for about 4 or 5 months, since i'm really petite (i'm 5 feet, and i fluctuate between 85 to 90 lbs). will taking a low dose of accutane prevent a lot of the nasty side effects, or is it different for everyone? i've got a lot of thinking to do. my next appointment with the derm isn't until mid april, so i have until then to really think this through.

thanks again for your responses. please keep them coming. :)

thanks for the response. :) my derm said i would be on a low dose for about 4 or 5 months, since i'm really petite (i'm 5 feet, and i fluctuate between 85 to 90 lbs). will taking a low dose of accutane prevent a lot of the nasty side effects, or is it different for everyone? i've got a lot of thinking to do. my next appointment with the derm isn't until mid april, so i have until then to really think this through.

thanks again for your responses. please keep them coming. :)

There was someone just recently posted about swollen eyes, I think he was on only 10mg for about a couple of weeks. It depends every indivudal is diffrent on how accutane effects them. Most likely though you have a low chance of nasty side effects. It's a gamble.

oli girl