Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LilPickle

Accutane and Constipation

I've not seen much about the two being related but i wonder if no one wants to admit to it so i'll go first! Lately i've been struggling a bit with constipation and whilst adding in a whole load of extra fibre has helped, i'm not as regular as i used to be.

I cant think what else has changed that might have caused it so i wonder if its down to the tablets and their effect on dehydration. I drink about two litres of water a day and since accutane have upped it to more like 3 and yet i'm still not really hydrated (darker urine that i would expect).

Any thoughts/similar experiences?

This was a problem for me as well. I like meat, but it doesn't like me. When I cut it out completely for a couple of months during the course things went smoothly like clockwork. Then again, I was drinking tons of water, having a green smoothie every day, and eating lentils like nobody's business. Slow incorporation eased me back onto meat, but I've learned I can't eat as much of it as I used to. Are you eating lots of meat perhaps?

This was a problem for me as well. I like meat, but it doesn't like me. When I cut it out completely for a couple of months during the course things went smoothly like clockwork. Then again, I was drinking tons of water, having a green smoothie every day, and eating lentils like nobody's business. Slow incorporation eased me back onto meat, but I've learned I can't eat as much of it as I used to. Are you eating lots of meat perhaps?

I'm not a big meat eater really so i dont think that's it. I eat well with plenty of fruit and veg. What is in a green smoothie? I'm assuming that is literal and not code for something i dont want to know about!! Lentils - i like that thinking. I've increased to two bowls of high fibre cereal a day which in normal circumstances would give me quite the opposite problem but still not much luck. I might try eating veggie for a bit and increase my lentil intake, see if that helps. I could probably drink a fair bit more water as well so i'll try and do that.

I've had a few PM messages so it seems like it might be a common problem, just not one anyone wants to discuss!

I'm glad others are contacting you about it. That's great! Hopefully you can pinpoint something that effects you.

Well you asked for it: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/FABULOUS-...=green+smoothie

It's a huge thread, but full of helpful green smoothie info and recipes. :)

Good stuff - thanks i'm def going to try that. I'll update any progress on here as it might be useful for anyone else too shy to talk about it.

As i think water is playing a major part i think that is the key to solving the problem but i'm going to test a few things out.

I'll own up. I've had some issues. I don't have a gallbladder so this NEVER used to be a problem for me but I've increased the amount of fiber I eat and it's been helping a bit. I recommend the Fiber One bars...they actually taste really yummy and it's a good amount of fiber without making you feel icky.