Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arh_88

Has anyone used Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash?

I wasn't using any other treatments at the time so I decided to give this stuff a try. I thought "maybe i'm not cleaning my face enough". But after less than a week my face started being real sensitive, turning glossy and red, and it actually really sucked. I didn't think you could use that stuff wrong.

I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience using this stuff?

Guest Rocky666

I've used the Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash as long as the other one that's green in color with the cucumber in it and The original one,the one you're talking about is orange I believe and I could only use that one a few days out of the week because I felt like it too was making my skin too sensitive,I believe it's pretty harsh idk if you were using the scrub because if you were that should only be used once a week cause you shouldn't exfoliate your skin everyday...or it could be too that the 2%Salicylic Acid is just irritaing your skin and doing more harm that good...I sugget Dan's Regimen,I've only been on it for 5 1/2 days and it's not too bad.

If you don't want to cough up the money for the whole treatment which is like about $35 then buy Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser,the mini $6 bottle of DKR Treatment and a cheap moisturizer,possibly from Cetaphil....it'll be better for your skin in the long run.

I haven't used that specific cleanser, but I used Neutrogena Skin Polishing Acne Cleanser (from their "advanced solutions" line) and it also broke me out. I thought, "How stupid is that? An acne cleanser that actually gives you more acne!"

Discontinue using this. Whenever I tried it, it gave me little bumps under my skin and also more acne!! Sure enough, when I looked up reviews of this products on Google, tons of people were also getting these 'tiny bumps' and more acne.

Ridiculous!

I believe that this cleanser gave me my acne. Oh back in the seventh grade or so. Might have been my time...but It only showed up after this stuff. This was my first face wash ever and i regret it like no other! STOP THE MADNESS!!

It was the first acne treatment I ever used,and it worked for me for several years.It does tend to make your face a bit red and glossy,but that is because it is chemically exfoliating your face.

Maybe 2% salicylic acid is too much for you and should try a wash with a lower percentage,like .05%.

How long have you been using it? Sometimes it takes a little time for your face to adjust to the medication.

(I just started using Glytone face wash which is the same ingredient as Neutragena along with my Differin .3% and it took about two weeks of dryness and redness before my face adjusted and now it's not as sensitive)

Bad product. If you want to use salicylic acid, get a good, low-pH leave on product such as the 2% BHA gel from Paula's Choice.

SA is pretty useless in cleansers.

I wasn't using any other treatments at the time so I decided to give this stuff a try. I thought "maybe i'm not cleaning my face enough". But after less than a week my face started being real sensitive, turning glossy and red, and it actually really sucked. I didn't think you could use that stuff wrong.

I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience using this stuff?

it was one of the first acne products i used. it did make my face red, but the dryness was what really got to me. i would put up with the dryness if it cleared up my skin, but it didn't.

Bad product. If you want to use salicylic acid, get a good, low-pH leave on product such as the 2% BHA gel from Paula's Choice.

SA is pretty useless in cleansers.

It hasnt been useless in my cleanser. My cleanser has SA in it. I keep switching products but I always end up going back to this one

Salicylic acid works best by staying in contact with the skin for longer periods of time. In a cleanser, it just doesn't stay in contact with the skin long enough to exfoliate inside the pores.

It also needs to be at a low pH to exfoliate effectively. Cleansers just aren't formulated to be that acidic.

The only useful thing I can think of that SA might do in a cleanser formulation is to lower the overall product pH a bit. But it still wouldn't put it in the range of a good exfoliator.

Countering that are the problems SA can cause: dryness and irritation.

If you want to use SA, it's best to just get a good leave-on product.

I used it and it tore my skin up!! I broke out more and it made my skin rough and splotchy, now I'm wary of using facial washes, soaps work for me. Sorry, gentle cleansing bars.LOL :angel:

I've practically used every cleanser in the Neutrogena acne lines (including the green one) and every single one of them contributed to my deteriorating skin. Once I started coming to acne.org and realizing how detrimental they all were.

Now I use Purpose's gentle cleanser. Much better.

Sorry to be responding to this a little late, but I would like to tell you I have used that product. I agree with you, it is NOT the product to use. I used it once and it burned my face horribly. I had people at school the next day asking me, "How I got sunburned." Not a good product my friend..

Yes. It made my skin so dry. Be prepared to lose the ability to articulate facial expression due to the feeling of extreme tightness it produces after using it. No joke. I always had to slather on so much moisturizer after using it. It's not a good idea to dry out your skin like that because your skin just produces more oil to counteract the dryness, thus resulting in more acne. All the mainstream drugstore brand cleansers are crap in my opinion. Except Cetaphil. That's the one I use :)

Edited by Magdish