NIZORAL will CLEAR ...

Notifications
Clear all

NIZORAL will CLEAR UP HORMONAL ACNE!!!!!

MemberMember
(@moxie55)

Posted : 03/25/2009 1:09 am

I have tried EVERYTHING or my skin accutane, proactiv, antibioitcs, eating apples for 3 days, diets, cleanses, seriously everything. Then I came across a blog about prople having success with Nizoral. it is an over the counter dandruff shampoo. it has an active ingredient that has an antiandrogen effect. I tried it with desperation as usual within the first week my acne has cleared up. Please try it and spread the word if it works. Thanks

MemberMember
(@kmv)

Posted : 03/28/2009 7:16 pm

I have tried EVERYTHING or my skin accutane, proactiv, antibioitcs, eating apples for 3 days, diets, cleanses, seriously everything. Then I came across a blog about prople having success with Nizoral. it is an over the counter dandruff shampoo. it has an active ingredient that has an antiandrogen effect. I tried it with desperation as usual within the first week my acne has cleared up. Please try it and spread the word if it works. Thanks

OK MOXIE55, THAT IS THE WIERDEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD! I JUST GOT SPIRONOLACTONE TODAY FROM MY DERM, HAVE YOU HEARD OF IT? HOW ARE YOU APPLYING THE NIZORAL?

MemberMember
(@languages)

Posted : 03/28/2009 7:22 pm

Are you sure? It's an antifungal. O_O

And you know there's a Ketoconazole gel right?

MemberMember
(@zen-garden)

Posted : 03/28/2009 7:23 pm

I washed my face with Head and Shoulders shampoo for a long time. Cleared me up short-term but didn't work long-term. It's great for body acne.

MemberMember
(@moxie55)

Posted : 03/29/2009 1:39 pm

hey guys here is the article I found that kind of expalins why it works hope it provides more insight

Steroid Side Effects: Fight Acne with Shampoo?

by Anthony Roberts

One of the most notorious side effects experienced with the use of Anabolic/Androgenic Steroids is the development of Acne. This is, for the more hardcore users, not too big of a deal. Granted, if you are three hundred pounds ripped, are balding with a permanent red face from high blood pressure, and develop a bunch of zits suddenly, that last part is probably the least of your concerns. Large oil filled zits just arenat a pressing concern to the next Mr. Olympia. However, for most of us, and especially first time steroid users or females, zits are usually something we want to avoid. Acne is the most media-popularized side effect of Anabolic Steroid use, and (next to weight gain) the most outwardly recognizable.

Females especially, want to avoid this for aesthetic reasons, and itas actually through interaction with one of the female moderators on a bodybuilding message board that I was most recently reminded of this point. She had been experiencing pretty bad acne from Anavar use, but she couldnat find a suitable answer for how to get rid of it. The most typical answer to the question was aoeuse Retin-A,a which was spouted by nearly everyone she spoke to. It is unfortunate that Retin-A, for many reasons, is a very poor choice for her purposes (one reason being it doesnat address the cause of the acne appropriately, and it is also a prescription medication). In this particular case, I told her to take some Nizoral (Ketoconazole) Shampoo and rub it on her back and face as a body wash. Huh? What? Shampoo on your face and back? Shampoo is for your hair! Yeah, well thatas what everyone thought. Until now. Okay, I know: shampoo on your face is weird. But, I wouldnat be writing for Mind and Muscle if I wasnat three things:

a.) Weird (in the publicas eye)

b.) Creative

c.) Weird

Now, letas talk about DHT and how it causes acne. We will then discuss why using Nizoral shampoo would be good for getting rid of acne. Development of AAS-related acne and the extent to which it is experienced can be due to a number of varying factors, with the steroids and dosages used being primary factors. It has been established that the receptors of the sebaceous glands have a particularly high affinity to Dihydrotestosterone (1)(2)(3). Anecdotally, it would also seem that DHT-derivations (Winstrol, etca) cause more acne than others (Testosterone or 19-Nor derived steroids). Thus, we can also safely assume that steroids, which are affected by the 5-alpha-reductase enzyme and turned into DHT in the body, will also be highly probable to cause acne. Increased sebaceous gland activity causes oily skin, and this, in combination with bacteria and dead skin caused by normal wear and tear, then causes pores to become clogged more quickly than the body can deal with them (or than you can exfoliate or unclog them). This causes visible acne and generally terrible looking skin.

So DHT is a primary culprit in all those nasty zits, right? Well, stay with me here, because the next part may get slightly complicated. Nizoral shampoo (the chemical in it is Ketoconazole) is actually a topical anti-androgen. Remember, the catalyst for acne is initially DHT (an androgen) and the sebaceous activity it causes. When used topically, in shampoo form, this particular compoundas effects are limited to the skin/scalp and are not systemic (affecting the whole body) unless you take it orally (drink the shampoo). Ketoconazoleas pharmacokinetics have been studied with oral ingestion (they make a pill, you donat drink the shampoo of course), and it has been determined that even orally, it is effective against acne, because oral ketoconazole has three delivery routes to the skin (4):

1. Passive uptake by keratinocytes in the basal layer

2. Excretion through the sweat glands

3. (The important one) A massive excretion through the sebaceous glands

In that same study, sebum levels compared with the plasma levels are very high, even with oral ingestion (4), which prompted researchers to simply create a shampoo from the base chemical (Ketoconazole) to prevent androgenic alopecia (balding) caused by DHT. Unfortunately, oral ingestion of an anti-androgen will cause an anti-anabolic effect as well. However, there is almost no effective plasma level to cause an anti-androgenic effect in your body when you topically apply it (4). So this should keep anyone from needlessly worrying about the possibility of an anti-anabolic effect to be had from topically applying Nizoral (even though itas technically an anti-androgen).

Lets back up a bit and let me give you a little background on how I stumbled on all of this roughly 8 years ago.

I figured out that Nizoral would prevent acne when I had some acne on my forehead during my first cycle. I had been using Nizoral to prevent hair loss, and I always got some shampoo on the top of my forehead when I washed my hair. I soon noticed that the area the shampoo came into contact with was free of acne. So, long story short, I started using it as a topical acne treatment and my steroid-induced acne cleared right up. I tried it on my back acne, and it went away. My girlfriend at the time had some acne, and it cleared that up too. A few years ago, I actually looked for validation on my theory, and found it. The study I first found (4) examined the pill form, but the shampoo is the same active ingredient, and won't have a noticeable systemic effect, but rather will have a localized one wherever you apply it.

Interestingly, about the same year that I had discovered the use of a topical anti-androgen for use in preventing DHT-caused acne (steroid related in my case) scientists completed a study basically saying the same thing. Although I had discovered this use for topical anti-androgens in my shower, and they discovered it in a lab, itas basically the same idea.

The study I found from that year examining a topical anti-androgen and its effects on the sebaceous glands was very interesting. When a topical anti-androgen was used on rodents, the scientists noted that sebaceous glandular and ductal regression was quite profound. This strongly suggests that a topical anti-androgen could effectively counteract endogenous androgens resulting in a suppression of growth of the sebaceous glands while leaving serum concentrations of both testosterone and dihydrotestosterone intact and not reduced (5). This means, for all intents and purposes, that Nizoralas anti-androgenic effect on your skin will prevent acne, without it having a systemic effect on your body. In simplest terms, it will leave 100% of the muscle building effects imparted by the steroids you are taking totally unaffected.

Shampoo. Itas not just for hair anymore.

MemberMember
(@madzippy)

Posted : 03/29/2009 3:03 pm

Hey all,

I was using Nizoral to help with seborrheic dermatitis on my chest. Seemed to work. It's also supposed to reduce sebum. Has anyone tried Nizoral as a wash and BP as a topical cream?

I'm also suffering from what I think is a case of steroid induced acne. Derms prescribed some steroid creams to treat SD and put me on doxycycline and after 3 weeks on the creams and a month on the antibiotics, my face went crazy. I'm off both and it's been about a month since I've been clean. Just wondering if this is steroid acne related, could Nizoral as a wash speed up recovery???

MemberMember
(@littlebags)

Posted : 03/29/2009 4:36 pm

Very interesting read.I use that particular shampoo during the winter.

MemberMember
(@stardust1986)

Posted : 05/31/2009 8:37 pm

Hi! This is a little delayed, but... In regards to the Nizoral: I don't think it has a sebum reducing effect..after doing hours of research, I have come to think that not all "acne" is actually caused by acne bacteria. I think there is a fungus (well, there are several I am sure) but in particular : pityrosporon (or Malassezia) which can cause acne like eruptions... usually resulting in body acne, but I wouldn't doubt if it appears more often than we think in facial acne! I think this is what I have after putting olive oil on my face for several weeks (I was stupid) which is actually known to cover up skin so much that it allows yeast to overgrow! Please refer to the article below. Strange thing, it says in the article that the doctors actually grow skin cultures in olive oil! Anyway, my doctor put me on antibiotics which only made it worse... well, not extremely bad (I am on Diane 35 now too, so I think I am reducing sebum production anyway) but it hasn't helped and there are some new areas, like my chin, which are really bad.

Anyway, the whole point of this is: A) Don't put OIL of any kind on your face. B) If the antibiotics are making your acne go crazy, or aren't working.. it could be because you have a fungal infection. Cosmetics can cause it too. We never think of yeast overgrowing on skin, but with all the antibiotics and moisturizers etc that we use, it seems only viable that it could happen, right?

C) I think that people should always have a skin culture down, from now on, to see what their face is actually infected with. Why don't doctors do this as a rule?

So I am going to get a skin culture done to see what is killing my skin. And in the meantime I am going to (hopefully) try a topical anti-fungal and get off the antibiotics!

MemberMember
(@sydney-girl)

Posted : 06/23/2010 7:38 am

I'm over the moon happy with this miracle product. Who would have thought that Nizoral would clear up my acne. Not really sure if what I had was acne or yeast on my cheeks. But it came out of nowhere. Really started happening when I started putting Vaseline on my face as I heard to it was good for your skin and wouldn't clog your pores. I tried everything. Proactive, probiotics, oral and topical antibiotics and Differin. Saw a post for this, so I grabbed it and it's been three days so far and about 50% or my "acne" has cleared up. All I really have left now is scars and these a annoying flesh coloured bumps that seem to be shrinking =)

MemberMember
(@jayq)

Posted : 07/16/2010 11:19 am

I'm over the moon happy with this miracle product. Who would have thought that Nizoral would clear up my acne. Not really sure if what I had was acne or yeast on my cheeks. But it came out of nowhere. Really started happening when I started putting Vaseline on my face as I heard to it was good for your skin and wouldn't clog your pores. I tried everything. Proactive, probiotics, oral and topical antibiotics and Differin. Saw a post for this, so I grabbed it and it's been three days so far and about 50% or my "acne" has cleared up. All I really have left now is scars and these a annoying flesh coloured bumps that seem to be shrinking =)

I have some sitting on the shelf at home that i have not ever used. Guess i will be trying it out tonight and pray for the best.

MemberMember
(@tg11)

Posted : 05/10/2011 12:20 pm

I had clear skin until I was 21, it has gotten worse and Im now 43. I have the kind of acne that is bad for 25 days of the month but starts to decrease a bit during my cycle, but never goes away. Its the kind that have a cluster of individual white swollen things. The only way to make the bump go away is to pluck out each white thing. If you squeeze it it just gets worse, It wont go away on its own. I bought the Nizoral after reading this post and other facts about it. After one use the cystic bumps began to shrink. I used the shampoo let it sit for 3 mins. then washed off. Now the 2nd day, the bumps are almost gone, I cant believe it!! One place Ive had for 2mths is finally clearing up. Perhaps I had a fungus too and this is why it cleared so quickly. I will see if it continues help throughout the month when the hormones start increasing.

MemberMember
(@sam19)

Posted : 07/26/2011 12:30 am

Hello,

Read your info last week and bought Nizoral (1%) straight away. I use the shampoo as a facewash and leave the shampoo 3 - 5 mins on my skin every other day (had severe acne with cysts). Will continue to do this until my acne is completely gone. After the first day I could already feel the difference. Now, after a week, my acne is almost completely gone (bumps are slowly disappearing, nearly dried out).

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@stiletto-ninja)

Posted : 08/04/2011 1:59 pm

Hey guys, I just recently stopped my birth control which was keeping my skin fairly clear, but I want to switch to the iud because it's hormone free. About 10 days later my skin started breaking out pretty bad :( it was a lot of little whiteheads everywhere and they just popped up overnight. I've been doing a lot of reading here and it's my 2nd day using 1% nizoral, and it seems to be working actually lol. I also went and bought DIM and saw palmetto+pygeum so my hormones stay under control. I've taken the pill before and stopped and I remember breaking out really badly for awhile, it didn't last forever but it was awhile and I hope this combination of treatments will help my body remember what it's like to not be on bcp. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@lookingforthecure)

Posted : 08/04/2011 4:04 pm

I washed my face with Head and Shoulders shampoo for a long time. Cleared me up short-term but didn't work long-term. It's great for body acne.

It's actually because your skin gains resistance to the shampoo after a while. That's why it's good to alternate between two antifungal products. So, if H&S worked for you, you should alternate it with Nizoral every two weeks or so.

MemberMember
(@n-clare)

Posted : 08/08/2011 8:44 am

Ive just started on this treatment... Ive got very persistent white heads, some recurring cysts and oily pores which ive tried a whole long list of things on. After washing with it for the first time my skin feels a little tight and very clean.

I will post back with progress over the next few days/week

MemberMember
(@caspereire)

Posted : 08/08/2011 8:48 am

Ive just started on this treatment... Ive got very persistent white heads, some recurring cysts and oily pores which ive tried a whole long list of things on. After washing with it for the first time my skin feels a little tight and very clean.

I will post back with progress over the next few days/week

I used this too and was singing its praises all last week... it was short lived. Acne is back with a vengence! :-(

MemberMember
(@rarrrgh)

Posted : 05/26/2013 3:18 am

Bump? Anyone have any new info on this?

MemberMember
(@faithyoo)

Posted : 07/11/2019 3:08 am

On 7/26/2011 at 2:30 PM, sam19 said:

Hello,

Read your info last week and bought Nizoral (1%) straight away. I use the shampoo as a facewash and leave the shampoo 3 - 5 mins on my skin every other day (had severe acne with cysts). Will continue to do this until my acne is completely gone. After the first day I could already feel the difference. Now, after a week, my acne is almost completely gone (bumps are slowly disappearing, nearly dried out).

Thank you!

So you used it on regular non-fungal acne and it worked?? I have bumps on my forehead which Im not sure whether it is a regular whiteheads or fungal acne but Imscared of the possible side effects in case it is just a regular whiteheads.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/11/2019 10:08 pm

Faithyoo and others on this thread

You most likely have fungal acne. Antidandruff shampoos on their own will rarely clear fungal acne/bumpson their own, but they do help.

The main cause of fungal skin conditions is taking antibiotics and other meds such a birth conrol pills.

I STRONGLY suggest you do the following -

1. Buy clotrimazole topical antifungal cream (often sold as Canesten - no prescription needed) and apply it to the areas with the bumps 2-3 times a day. Topical antifungal creams are totally safe. They will NOT CAUSE ACNE or whiteheads etc. You can also apply azaleic acid.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. Do NOT apply any moisturisers or organic oils to the areas with the bumps. Keep your skin very dry. Wipe off sweat. Fungus loves moisture. And one type of fungus that causes acne FEEDS on organic oils.

4. Do NOT exfoliate your skin.

5. Do NOT take antibiotics unless you have a life threatening or near-life threatening bacterial infection that cannot be controlled with topical treatments.

Do you have dandruff or a white tongue ? Have you taken antibiotics ? If so, which ones ? Have you taken other meds., such as birth control pills or have a birth control implant ?

MemberMember
(@dasp)

Posted : 07/18/2019 4:20 am

What does the fungal acne look like? I have back acne and would like to rule out that it is fungal.

I haven't taken any antibiotics.

I have a lot of whiteheads and blackheads and inflamed acne all over my back and have had that for the last 20 years so I doubt this is fungal. What I have read about fungal is that it is typically uniform red pimples that doesn't come together with blackheads and whiteheads etc. Is that true?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/18/2019 7:29 pm

Dasp

Fungal acne has many forms. Much of the information about fungal acne on the web is limited, and sometime it is not correct. The best thing is to check for other symptoms of fungal conditions. Hence my queries below...

Do you have one or more of the following along with the acne - dandruff, a red rash, itchy skin, flaking skin, seborhheic dermatitis, toenail fungus, sinus problems, a white tongue, gut problems, unexplained headaches or unexplained tiredness (or feelings of disorientation) ?

Have you taken/do you take any prescription meds ?

If you get back to me with answers to the above questions, I can provide more information.