Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Precious&Free

31 and on 50 MG of accutane

Hi, I just joined this site while looking for information on products to use on my face ('cause I started taking accutane a few weeks ago and what I was on was WAY to harsh and drying out my skin even more.) Im not too sure if the products Im using now are positively or negatively affecting my skin.

Tomorrow will be day 21 on Accutane.

I starting seeing changes right away, although I am still waking up with new pimples, I have much less, and my skin is also less swollen. One thing though, is that I have A LOT more little white bumps on my cheeks (I used to only have them around my mouth and chin).

I also noticed this week that my scalp is drying out, as well as my lips. Oh and yesterday I noticed small pinkish colored/dry patches on my hands (there's about 4 but they haven't changed in size or in quantity since yesterday).

Overall, I am happy and feel more confident. I guess my biggest concern at this point is what to use on my face and is what I am using now causing the little white bumps? Or is it just a normal side-effect of being on accutane?

hey i never really break out on my cheeks either unitl i went on accutane. It is more than likely just part of you IB which for me last about three weeks. Everybody reacts differently to tane (even more so in the first month). After three weeks for me it only got better and stayed that way. Cetaphil seems to be the most popular cleanser to use (its what i use and it works well). I dont moisturize in the morning because it makes my skin look red and glossy but i do at night before i go to bed. Good luck with your treatment it can be life changing.

Thanks! Good to know the breaking out on the cheeks is not uncommon. Im crossing my fingers for the weeks to come but if I trust the improvement of the last few weeks, this should be life changing for sure! I am 31 and have been struggling with mild to moderate to (now) severe acne since I've been 12 years old. It's a mystery to me how it got this bad at the age of 31 but it's been very hard on my self-confidence. I didn't even want to go out in public without a big scarf hiding my neck and as much of my face as I could.

Can't wait to see how the next few weeks go. I've always dreamed of havng clear skin but never believed it was possible, until now, I have hope :)

Thanks again for the encouragement and suggestions. All the best to you too.

I agree with trick - cetaphil wash is very good. And also like the Avene products for intolerent and irritated skin.

I'm a few days ahead of you and things are going really good now - I think its all uphill from here!

Good luck

Im 105 lbs. On 50 MG of accutane and today is day 21. The big red/white pimples and huge bumps that were on my chin, jaw and neck are GONE. What a relief, it's working!

I do however have the following which is not common for my skin:

- a few new white pimples that showed this week at different places than I usually have them

- lots of very small white bumps on my cheeks

- a few small blackheads on my cheeks

- small dry/pinkish spot on my hands (about 4 of them)

- dry scalp and flaky skin (head)

- itchy skin

This hasn't discouraged me though. All those huge bumps are gone, that makes me happy.

I haven't figured out what to use on my face yet. Right now, I am using a sensitive skin cleanser and moisturizer from the Body shop (with Aloe).

Vitamin E is working very well for my dry lips.

Im trying to moisturize my body as much as I can too.

Today for some reason, my skin is a lot smoother than it was yesterday. All the "small white bumps" I was talking about? about half of 'em are gone! Nice.

I have 2 huge bumps on my forehead, not very popable, I won't touch them.

I have 2 medium size ones on my left cheek. Won't touch them.

I have 3 medium size ones on my neck.

Still have lots of red/purple spots on my neck and jaw from the MAJOR breakout I've had since last November (the breakout that made me decide to go on Accutane).

Drinking about 1 litre of water a day.

Notice my lower back (left) hurt a bit, and my left hip as well. It's gone now, could just be a coincidence.

Good luck in your pursuit! I am 25 I know the feeling of being older and still having breakouts. Thanks for keeping a log too as it benefits all of us. I wish you the best of luck in having clearer healthier skin. Along with that, I wish you the best of luck in life as well.

Thank you everyone for your encouragemengts :)

I haven't written in a few days. Last weekend, my skin was looking pretty good (compared to what it was a month ago before starting accutane) but I still had all those small white bumps (on my cheeks and hairline. So i decided to give myself a facial and pick out all those bumps. Bad idea. When will I learn that picking is not the solution and it makes things worse, not better. I got up the next day with about 3-4 (big) white and red pimples on each cheeks :( Obviously, it's now Tuesday and they're still there.

Now my 30 small white bumps don't seem so bad.

Note to self: never pick again unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks! Good to know the breaking out on the cheeks is not uncommon. Im crossing my fingers for the weeks to come but if I trust the improvement of the last few weeks, this should be life changing for sure! I am 31 and have been struggling with mild to moderate to (now) severe acne since I've been 12 years old. It's a mystery to me how it got this bad at the age of 31 but it's been very hard on my self-confidence. I didn't even want to go out in public without a big scarf hiding my neck and as much of my face as I could.

Can't wait to see how the next few weeks go. I've always dreamed of havng clear skin but never believed it was possible, until now, I have hope :)

Thanks again for the encouragement and suggestions. All the best to you too.

31, well I am 35 and just start Accutane. it is my only hope too! And this past Dec. I had the worst break out in my life. It was just awful. And I still have big bumps under the skin. I walked around with a scarf wrapped around my head for weeks, until it was warmer:( Anyway, I understand your frustration and I am on day 11. I am good and seeing things change. I am using cetaphil cleanser, but so far the moisturizer is too greasy. I also use Neutrogena sensitive skin products. I am sure this will change soon. I am looking for new products too. I heard coconut oil products and emu oil products are great while on the Tane.

Good luck

Have a good night.

I started using Cetaphil wash for oily skin and non-comedogenic moisturizer about a week ago and now I understand why it's so popular. It washes my skin enough for me to feel "clean", but not tight, and the moisturizer although a tiny bit oily when I apply it, does matte itself out after about 30 mins.

As for the acne, well the only thing that has changed since last time I wrote is that I noticed that my skin looks better in daylight. When I look at my skin from my car mirror (during the day), my skin looks much better and healthier. More the same color and luminous. :) I don't remember it looking like this, ever. I was probably a kid last time it was this nice.

I still get about 2 new pimples a day, and the marks from the old pimples (purple) but the huge ones are gone. I also still have lots of little white bumps on my cheeks, especially my right cheek. My neck looks the same -no new pimples but lots of purple/red marks, a few small white bumps.

The skin on my arms, shoulders, chest and belly is really starting the dry up (patches of dry skin) so I need to moisturize more.

I keep my lips moistured at all times with Vitamin E.

I know there's been some improvement, and I'm happy about that. But I'm kinda disapointed that after almost 6 weeks of being on the treatment, my skin is still very noticeably "acne-ed".

My close friend today, told me that he was surprised my skin wasn't already better because when he went on Accutane, for a SEVERE case of acne, the results were seen within the 1st month. He was on it for 6 months, and has had clear skin since. Basically his acne disapeared after only a few weeks of being on the treatment.

I'm seeing my doctor for the 1st time this week and will tell her about my concerns. I also hope that my blood tests come out healthy and that I can keep going on the treatment as it would be really nice to get rid of this acne that is covering my beautiful face :(