Notifications
Clear all

Squat toilets

MemberMember
(@takeabiteoutofcrime)

Posted : 03/23/2009 5:37 pm

I've had acne for the past 20 years and I finally eliminated it by squatting while taking a dump. Two months ago I was reading about the health benefits of squat toilets so I decided to give it a try. I do this by putting a stool in front of my toilet and squatting on it while doing my business (I'm paranoid to stand on the toilet for various reasons and apparently sitting on the toilet while having your feet elevated on a stool is also counterproductive). The immediate thing I noticed was how fast and effortless it was to take a dump because squatting creates all the internal pressure necessary and you don't have to hold your breath to push. Not to mention how little you have to wipe afterward.

Let me point you guys to what I believe is the key idea relevant to acne:

*Moderator edit, URL removed*

You'll see that the the seating posture causes waste to enter the small intestine because it doesn't close off the ileocecal valve like a squatting posture does. When waste enters your small intestine, this puts extra strain on your liver to remove all the excess waste it was trying to remove in the first place. In countries where people squat as opposed to sit: colon cancer, appendicitis, hemorrhoids, IBS, etc. are virtually nonexistent.

The reason why I'm attributing it to squatting is because my diet and lifestyle have been pretty much a constant for years and this was the only real change I've made. Also I've never had any results with any acne products so I don't do anything special with applying stuff topically nor do I take any supplements.

I'm not saying good diet, exercise, eliminating stress, sleep, etc. aren't important (I do all of the above). What I am saying is that if you aren't seeing results when you've done the above, try adding this to your regimen and see what happens. At the very least you'll notice that it takes a fraction of the time to take a dump and your bowels feel completely evacuated.

I also have a hypothesis that liver flushes, liquid diets, and fasting are a scam since I believe that the only reason they seem to work for some people in removing acne is because they get the load off your liver for a while as opposed to some nonsense like "candida" or "toxins from eating non-organic foods is stored in the gut".

This is all a single person's anecdotal evidence and I'm really curious to hear anybody elses results with acne if you decide to try it.

MemberMember
(@altapgt)

Posted : 03/23/2009 7:27 pm

Very interesting, thanks for your story. Some questions:

-How high is the stool, and do you like hover over the toilet or what?

-Is splashing an issue lol?

-Male or female?

-How severe was your acne?

-What type of acne: whiteheads/blackheads/cysts/nodules?

-What type of skin: dry/oily/flakey/combination?

-How long did it take to get improvement, and then completely clear (if you are completely clear)?

MemberMember
(@takeabiteoutofcrime)

Posted : 03/23/2009 8:18 pm

The stool I use is like half an inch higher than the height of my toilet and it's right up against the front edge of it. I've seen other people online recommend stacking cinder blocks on the sides of the toilet but for me that seems like my legs are too far apart if I do that plus I don't want to wreck my tiles.

Splashing hasn't been issue for me (since I'm right up to the front edge and it's about the same height as the toilet) but peeing while in the squat position is kind of an issue. Real squat toilets and seat to squat toilet converters position you better than the makeshift method I'm using. (I also forgot to mention that you have to take off your pants completely to squat).

Male.

I'm not sure how to rate severity but my entire back is covered with acne scars (probably because I would immediately pop them all). I got it mostly on my back, chest, shoulders, upper arms, and scalp. I got it on my face and my neck sometimes but those areas on my body are immune to scars somehow so I could hide it using a shirt and nobody in public could really tell I have acne but it definitely affects my self confidence and my dating life or lack thereof. I averaged around 2-4 new zits a day for the past 20 years if that helps with the severity question.

I'm not sure what type of acne it was. I'm guessing the whole range of the acne vulgaris kinds by the chart. Mostly pustules, sometimes papules. I've never had anything that I would consider to be a blackhead but a ridiculous amount of my pores on my back and shoulders had hardened sebum in it that I would scratch off or squeeze to try to remove. I'm not sure if you would consider those to be blackheads or not, they never actually turned black.

I'm not sure what type of skin. I'm guessing whatever kind is considered normal.

It took 1 week to see an improvement and by improvement I mean completely clear. The only annoyance now is these scars I'm left with which I didn't care about before because I gave up hope thinking they'll ever be gone since I ate healthy, exercised, etc. and still no meaningful progress since I first got acne in my teens.

It totally slipped my mind that squatting isn't the only change I made. About a month before that I started working on my standing, seating, sleeping, and walking posture because of lower back pain (I had extremely poor posture and lead a sedentary lifestyle other than going to the gym a few times a week) and the reason that I looked into squat style toilets is I wanted to apply correct posture to other areas. I'm absolutely convinced that squatting to take a dump was the final nail on the coffin for me though.

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 03/23/2009 8:28 pm

Hey crime, have you come across any interesting links about the squatting vs. toilet-sitting?

MemberMember
(@takeabiteoutofcrime)

Posted : 03/23/2009 8:42 pm

For some reason the mods removed my link but if you google "ileocecal valve squatting" you can find a bunch.

Also if it helps:

I only drink water and milk. No coffee, sodas, juices, tea, etc.

I try to eat ~100g of carbs with a low glcemic load. No fruits, sugars, sweeteners, or any junk food.

I eat really clean (no fast food or prepackaged meals) and very consistently like a typical 1950's bodybuilder diet: nuts, seeds, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, yams, random veggies, etc. The only time I eat a serving of meat is at dinner and typically chicken, pork or beef steak, or tuna fish. The only grains I eat is the oatmeal.

For exercise, typical olympic lifts like squat, cleans, deadlifts, etc. I don't do any cardio (other than randomly walking around which doesn't count) and I sit infront of a computer at work all day.

This may or may not also be relevant: I take cold showers + use dr. bronners soap and use fragrance free detergent.

That's the annoying thing about acne and anecdotal evidence. All of us try so many stuff it's hard to separate what matters and what doesn't and we're all pretty paranoid to eliminate stuff from our current program or worry about how long it takes to see results. That's why I'm wondering about anybody else's experience if you want to try squatting.

MemberMember
(@deadonfive)

Posted : 03/24/2009 8:18 am

apparently sitting on the toilet while having your feet elevated on a stool is also counterproductive).

Why is that counterproductive?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 03/24/2009 8:24 am

For some reason the mods removed my link but if you google "ileocecal valve squatting" you can find a bunch.

Newer posters cannot post links for anti-spam reasons. Also, read the board rules....

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 03/24/2009 2:35 pm

I'm not sure if it will do much, but I tried this today. xD It WAS easier to go; everything just sort of...slid out. Maybe it will help in the long run :D

MemberMember
(@user80848)

Posted : 03/24/2009 6:20 pm

BEST. POST. EVER

...jk

This technique might help, who knows? It's free and easy to do, nothing more, nothing less, simple as they come. Whenever I travel to foreign countries, especially the less developed countries, there are many stalls that have shitters without a place to sit your fat-ass down...so you squat. I personally feel this is much more relaxing and comfortable to do, and it makes more sense since this is how we've always done it throughout our evolution. The only problem was getting your pants scuffed on the nasty fecal-ridden ground.

MemberMember
(@takeabiteoutofcrime)

Posted : 03/24/2009 9:06 pm

I shouldn't have said "counterproductive" because I'm not really sure how well it works with regards to closing off the ileocecal valve. If it's the right leg pressing against the abdomen that matters or if it's the fact that your muscles relax and the push is effortless (or both).

My reason for saying it originally is because you're still sitting while using a footstool just in a more exaggerated way. Sitting puts all the weight in your lower back which causes your lower back to tighten up whereas squatting puts all the tightness in your legs which allows the lower back and the anus muscles to relax. The push is way more effortless when you squat compared to when you sit with footstool. My thinking is that since you still have to make an effort to push while sitting with a footstool it wouldn't have the same job of closing the ileocecal valve as squatting but again I'm not sure if it's only the right leg against the right abdomen that matters with this.

Also I like how somebody named PeePotteryPete came out of the woodwork when a thread about toilets appeared.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/24/2009 9:07 pm

The only problem was getting your pants scuffed on the nasty fecal-ridden ground.

Ideally they have very elevated places for your feet. And are cleaned, since one of the benefits is that they are easier to clean. Like with a few seconds with a mop. The 2 times I've used one they were fairly to very clean.

I was reading on some of these sites to find out why putting your feet up on a stool wasn't a good option. It's curious how they kept saying we've lost the ability to squat. Children are taught not to squat, women have weak pelvic floors and can't give birth in a proper position even if they wanted to and are incontinent afterwards because they can't squat, etc.... I can squat. I've always found it more comfortable than kneeling when doing something down on the ground like cleaning, gardening, etc. Doesn't look good, but it's more comfortable. My dad used to squat for hours when working on something. And I'm sure my little brother and I did it for hours when playing as children. So what? Other people don't squat?

Then I looked to see if anyone has come up with a design acceptable to us westerners to have in our home bathrooms. There was an article on a Yale student reinventing the toilet, but it turned out to be just a platform to go over our toilet. I think enclosing the toilet inside a chair height platform with a seat in it making it optional to squat or sit is the solution. Covered in tile or something. And why can't we flush toilets with the water we just washed our hands in?

And did you see this site with this guy's travel photography including toilets he has seen? He's really funny. http://www.cromwell-intl.com/toilet/Index.html Not just about the toilets. I read some other entries, like Trotsky's house and Jim Morrison's Paris hotel. Of course, there are toilets in those as well.

This might be the solution: http://www.cromwell-intl.com/toilet/nsee.html See #2.

MemberMember
(@deadonfive)

Posted : 03/28/2009 8:35 am

bump!

MemberMember
(@gardeness)

Posted : 03/31/2009 9:36 am

Bump! It makes sense, but... I want to see who else goes first

MemberMember
(@deadonfive)

Posted : 03/31/2009 11:44 am

I went first, I'll admit it :D

I'm SO GLAD I FOUND THIS POST. It's so much easier to squat, there's no straining and your anal muscles don't feel so tight. I felt stupid at first but it actually feels really natural and comfortable. I use a small child's chair that has a back on it instead of a stool, so that I have something to lean on and I'm not concentrating on keeping my balance instead of doing #2.

I feel completely "empty" afterwards too, I can't really remember feeling that way on my own. I've been doing this since Saturday, and if I start to clear up spontaneously, I'm going to assume it's because of this and I'll post here. Digestion and bowel movements are a huge part of my skin problem.

MemberMember
(@pyromanic)

Posted : 03/31/2009 10:48 pm

I learnt a few months ago off a TV show called 'Kenny's World' that squatting is the healthiest way of pooping because it allowed your anal colon to be perfectly straight. I've started squatting on the toilet (no support or stool; at constant risk of slipping into bowl lol) to poo about two or three days ago, and my legs are burning like crazy. However, I've noticed that it's a lot quicker and I feel more empty after going to the toilet.

Another interesting piece of information for those watching their eliminations; healthy poo should be in a 'S' shape. In other words, not stiff so that it comes out in large chunks but not watery soft. I learnt this from Dr. Oz on Oprah and AOLhealth.com

MemberMember
(@cottoncandi)

Posted : 04/01/2009 1:44 pm

I tried this twice so far, it doesn't seem to be working. I push and only some comes out and I need to sit on the toilet to finish. I am not tensed or worried about falling either.

When I normally have a BM I don't need to strain when sitting.

MemberMember
(@user80848)

Posted : 04/02/2009 12:53 pm

OK I'm gonna start utilizing this technique as often as I can, since I know squatting is the best way to eliminate your gunk. Thanks for bringing this up. I've always been fond of squatting when taking a dump, and this post adds fuel to the flame. When I was in the military training in the field, I always felt soo relieved by going in the bushes rather than using a Port-A-John. NATURE RULES :)

MemberMember
(@blackmagic)

Posted : 04/02/2009 2:38 pm

I can always count on this board for a good laugh. It's rife with neuroticism lol.

MemberMember
(@user80848)

Posted : 04/30/2009 5:58 pm

Read the link below for more info on why you should squat. Luckily for me I only weigh 155lbs so I just squat on my toilet seat and go from there. Let me tell you, ever since I implemented this technique I can't go a day without it. I ALWAYS squat now, but it's annoying when you squat in public toilets because people tend to look for your feet before trying to pry open the stall you're squatting in.

http://www.quickfasting.com/how_to_bm_.html

MemberMember
(@deadonfive)

Posted : 04/30/2009 7:20 pm

Read the link below for more info on why you should squat. Luckily for me I only weigh 155lbs so I just squat on my toilet seat and go from there. Let me tell you, ever since I implemented this technique I can't go a day without it. I ALWAYS squat now, but it's annoying when you squat in public toilets because people tend to look for your feet before trying to pry open the stall you're squatting in.

http://www.quickfasting.com/how_to_bm_.html

Thanks for the link; it has good advice for when I'm in a place where I can't squat while I go. I've been squatting for over a month and it's SO much easier than sitting on a toilet. My skin looks much better than it did a month ago. I wish squatting was a widely accepted concept.

MemberMember
(@user80848)

Posted : 08/28/2009 1:53 pm

some food for fodder...

http://naturesplatform.com/health_benefits.html

Yeah I've been doing this technique now for a few months, and I gotta say I feel so much better every time I have a bowel movement. I'm actually excited to take a dump, and I feel like the weight of the world is off my shoulders. Haha, I know this sounds ridiculous but I've always had stomach issues my whole life, so this is a welcome change for me. OrEvWah

PS: I don't have any crazy contraptions to squat on, since I am pretty lean I just squat on the toilet seat directly. But if you are a large person and need something to squat on, AND have the money to burn, I'd say this is a worthwhile investment.

MemberMember
(@aasaalhum)

Posted : 08/28/2009 2:02 pm

that's the only kind we have when we go to india :( it's horrible. but i freaking love that house anyway, so i don't give a crap (pun!)!

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/03/2013 12:08 am

BUMP. I am going to try this but I need to purchase a squatter