Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newuser

make up pad question?

Hey gals! I've been reading all the posts and I didn't come across this , so maybe you can fill me in. before I started the regimen I was using Mary Kay's foundation, it's pretty thick coverage and oil controlling so I didn't wear powder. However, now that I am trying bp (only at night) my skin is too dry to wear that foundation, so I've tried a few others ( all greasy and see through ) so I decided to go with just moisturizer and powder during the day. Now I have cover girl clean powder but if any one wants to suggest another that would be great. alright, my main question is that my powder pad gets so nasty, either from my oily skin or from the moist. but it's like I don't even want to put it on my face you know? So, what do ya'll do? Is powder alright for my skin?

OK, I've had the same problem, so there are 3 things I know of that may help you. You want to get the oil off your skin before reapplying powder/makeup or just so your face doesn't look oily and shiny during the day. They sell little oil absorbing sheets that you blot your skin with, they are about the size of cigarette paper. You can find them in some grocery stores/drug stores, clean and clear makes a brand and they are pretty affordable, and you can carry them around in your purse. If you can't find them there some department stores selling makeup that have them, but they are expensive. MAC also sells oil absorbing powder. It doesn't add any coverage, it just absorbs the oil that builds up on your face. Maybe other companies are out there also that sell a similar product. And lastly, buy extra powder pads and change them out when they start to get nasty like that. Or you can use a brush and clean it if that starts to happen.

I'd say change your makeup pad regularly. You can get some at a dollar store, so they're quite easy to replace.

When I used to wear foundation, I would actually use toilet paper to blot my face. Before you start laughing at me (lol.. I'm laughing myself...) the cheap toilet paper in schools is actually really good as a blotting paper because it's so thin.

But yeah, replacing your powder puff thing is definitely a good idea; when you apply powder to your face, and you get gunk on the pad, it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.

CoverGirl freshlook powder (in the silver compact) is meant for oily skin types-- you could try that (I use it sometimes). However, it doesn't offer coverage, since the colors are all "translucent". If you want oil controlling powder, I've found that price means next to nothing; I use NYC loose powder. For only $3, I find it does a really good job at absorbing and controlling oil. Just make sure to use a powder brush to apply the powder, not the pink little sponge that comes with it. give it a shot. smile.gif

I usually change my makeup pad every week. Just get them from 1$ store or if you willing to pay more, you can get from Sally stpre too. However, keep couple of the best makeup pad in your home. You might need them for special occasion....a night out or party...etc.

I'm w/ hoku on the powder. I use NYC as a touchup powder. It works great for that. the only powder i can actually touch up with, without using blotting papers first, without it getting cakey. unfortunately, the closest color (translucent) is too light to use as my morning setting powder (it looks a bit powdery - but only because the color doesn't match). it works great for touchups though.

I buy the "essence of beauty" powder puffs from either Walgreens or CVS (I can never remember which either). They come in 3 puff packages. They're by far my favorite powder puffs. I switch/wash them every week or so, and replace them every so often.

But yeah, replacing your powder puff thing is definitely a good idea; when you apply powder to your face, and you get gunk on the pad, it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.

Oops, I hadn't even thought about that! Nevermind... :huh:

What I sometimes do is use a big brush so you can literally just dust off the excess powder onto tissue or something so it remains clean and doesn't need to be replaced nearly as much. Using a brush also tends to make the powder look less caked on.

Or if you're on a budget, just wash the pad with soap and water, and let it dry naturally. Dries pretty quickly (leave it where the sun hits it during the day) and you can use it for a long time!