Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coyotelime

Is 40mg of doxy a day enough?

I honestly do not know. I am around 5'6 and weigh about 115lbs and take 100mg twice a day. I say contact your dermatologist just to make sure.

I honestly do not know. I am around 5'6 and weigh about 115lbs and take 100mg twice a day. I say contact your dermatologist just to make sure.

Hmm. I thought the dosage was administered according to body weight (like Accutane), but I'm 6'0/150lbs and was only prescribed 100mg of Minocycline once a day...so apparently not.

The first prescription medication i ever took for acne was doxycyline about 2 years ago.... i took 100MG twice a day. I had moderate acne and am 6' 180lbs. I'm not sure how they decide how much to prescribe....

Hmm. I thought the dosage was administered according to body weight (like Accutane), but I'm 6'0/150lbs and was only prescribed 100mg of Minocycline once a day...so apparently not.

I thought they did as well. Well I have been taking doxy for well over a year now (I know, not the best hting in the world), and it hasn't caused me problems. It does seem like I was taking a pretty strong dose.

I think the best thing to do is to bring it up with your derm.

Your 40 mg dose sounds like your derm put you on something like Oracea (which is 30 mg doxycycline + a 10 mg long acting doxy) or he told you to take 2 of the 20mg tabs. At this level the doxycycline supposedly does not have any antibacterial effect but purely just a anti-inflammatory effect that is still supposed to decrease the frequency of papules and pustules. The thought is that you can prevent the side effects of long term antibiotics but still get the antinflammatory effect.

You could ask your dermatologist about this.

I'm 5'5 and 120 lbs and take 50mg once a day. I'm on such a little dose of it because this is only so I don't get any inflammatory pimples that cause scarring.