Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ScopeEyes

New to acne.org--and just starting The Regimen

Hi. I'm ScopeEyes and I have acne.

[Everyone replies: Hi ScopeEyes in monotone voices]

Now that introductions are out of the way, here's my background before asking some questions. I'm 27 and have had moderate acne for longer than I can remember. I don't really remember life before acne--I think it started around age 10 or 11. I'm getting to a point where I'm ready to give up and just learn to accept that this is my skin and this is what it will be. I've been going to the dermatologist since I was 13 and have been on antibiotics, differin, retin A, and countless other creams. Even tried ProActiv once. Nothing has "worked"...at least not to my standards. I was never offered accutane until recently--but my derm is hesitant to try it because he says using acutane in your 20s typically only works temporarily. I've really noticed scarring really set in the last few years as well.

So before giving up completely I stumbled upon this site while trying to find natural remedies. I tried the vinegar and that was a HUGE mistake. My acne actually got incredibly worse using that "miracle cure". In fact, I don't know if I've ever seen it as bad as it was when I was using the ACV. So now I read Dan's story and I'm trying his regimen. I'm trying to stay positive. Anyone in our forum using it with any success? The moisturizer I got was the Cetaphil for all skin types, but using that on my oily skin makes it shiny and slick all day long. I'm still going to maintain the Rx of 200mg doxycyclin.

Also, in the last few years I've been noticing a lot more blackheads and persistent acne on my cheeks down to my chin. It dawned on me that this could be due to using my cell phone since it's now my only telephone. My skin is really oily (as mentioned before) and when I'm done using the phone there's a lot of oil on the keys and screen. Could it be that it's helping to clog my pores. Anyone else notice that happening to their skin? I never enjoyed the look of bluetooth headsets, but I enjoy the look of acne even less. I may give it a whirl.

Anyway, glad I found the site & boards. Any regimen tips for adult acne sufferers would be greatly appreciated! Heck--any tips in any regard for adult acne (physically & emotionally) would be appreciated!

Hi ScopeEyes (replied in a monotone voice)

I started the Regimen three weeks ago to treat my chest/back akne. (I am 34, female).

I have also a long history of acne treatments in my teen`s and twen`s (BP, Antibiotic, radiotherapy, otc products, bcp=Diane35). It helped a little, but nothing could make me akne-free.

Last summer i tried AHA and BHA and diff. supplements. But only with a slight improvement.

So i decided to go to derm again. I asked for accutane. But he denied. My acne is only mild.

This was a shock for me: it was my last hope to get acne-free. He described BP 5%. But i am doing the DKR with 2.5%. (it is not easy because i am fighting with dryness and flakeness - but after 3 weeks, i have more smooth skin than when i was on bcp. no way i will ever get accutane from my derm. damn it. )

So my advice: if you can get hands on accutane. I would give it a try. Even if acne comes back - most of the time it will come back in a mild version.

Now that introductions are out of the way, here's my background before asking some questions. I'm 27 and have had moderate acne for longer than I can remember. I don't really remember life before acne--I think it started around age 10 or 11. I'm getting to a point where I'm ready to give up and just learn to accept that this is my skin and this is what it will be. I've been going to the dermatologist since I was 13 and have been on antibiotics, differin, retin A, and countless other creams. Even tried ProActiv once. Nothing has "worked"...at least not to my standards. I was never offered accutane until recently--but my derm is hesitant to try it because he says using acutane in your 20s typically only works temporarily. I've really noticed scarring really set in the last few years as well.

So before giving up completely I stumbled upon this site while trying to find natural remedies. I tried the vinegar and that was a HUGE mistake. My acne actually got incredibly worse using that "miracle cure". In fact, I don't know if I've ever seen it as bad as it was when I was using the ACV. So now I read Dan's story and I'm trying his regimen. I'm trying to stay positive. Anyone in our forum using it with any success? The moisturizer I got was the Cetaphil for all skin types, but using that on my oily skin makes it shiny and slick all day long. I'm still going to maintain the Rx of 200mg doxycyclin.

Also, in the last few years I've been noticing a lot more blackheads and persistent acne on my cheeks down to my chin. It dawned on me that this could be due to using my cell phone since it's now my only telephone. My skin is really oily (as mentioned before) and when I'm done using the phone there's a lot of oil on the keys and screen. Could it be that it's helping to clog my pores. Anyone else notice that happening to their skin? I never enjoyed the look of bluetooth headsets, but I enjoy the look of acne even less. I may give it a whirl.

Anyway, glad I found the site & boards. Any regimen tips for adult acne sufferers would be greatly appreciated! Heck--any tips in any regard for adult acne (physically & emotionally) would be appreciated!

Hi there,

You sound very similar to me. Except I never really had an issue with acne until my 20s (currently 27). When my skin was at it's worst, I would get acne that would leave dark spots and slight scars/indentations on my face (cheeks & neck), which you know, is so depressing when you've had clear skin for the longest time.

I started Dan's regimen this January and added the doxy in my regimen about 2 months ago and I have to say that this is the best that my skin has been in a long time. I'm glad the doxy made a difference otherwise my Dr. said I may have to look into Accutane which I will probably never take (too scary in my opinion). I've tried tons of Rx prescriptions (oral and topical) and just about every OTC treatment for acne, all of which I found to be useless.

Anyways, I guess just wanted to share with you what I have found to be helpful and important when it comes to treating acne and helping the skin heal.

Cleansing GENTLY twice a day

WAIT FOR SKIN TO DRY (10 - 15 minutes)

apply BP all over face (if you are just starting, I suggest working up to the full amount like how Dan suggests for his regimen)

WAIT FOR SKIN TO DRY

MOISTURIZE (WITH SPF 30+ IN AM)

MOISTURIZE (IN PM TOO!)

Sorry about the CAPS, but I'm trying to emphasize those points. hehehe.

But yeah, I guess what I found to be really helpful is the SPF during the day for one (make sure it's at least 30) and moisturizing at night. I used to get lazy at night and would skip the moisturizer but I noticed it really helps with how your skin heals itself.

My acne scars (not deep, not keloid, shallow but noticeable since they're kinda in the same area together) look a lot softer. If you are looking for a good moisturizer, let me suggest Vanicream Moisturizing cream. Amazing stuff! I am going to start using their SPF lotion for my face during the day once my current lotion is out. Vanicream is kinda hard to find though but I believe all Walgreen's carry the moisturizing cream. You can also purchase it online.

Also, cut out any harsh exfoliation - this will just delay how your skin heals even though it may seem like it's helping (according to my Dr.).

And if you are just starting out with the regimen, patience is key! :)

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND how you feel Thank God there's somebody. I've been dealing with acne as long as you. Just the other night, I decided to try the Lemon juice on acne, it was going to be either that or the acv. I read the reviews for lemon and decided to try that. My skin has not been this bad since I was a teenie bopper AHHHHHHH! My skin was doing pretty good with what I was doing and I got greedy for better! I had 0 active breakouts just red marks. I read that the juice would lighten my skin omgosh say NO to Lemon juice!

I understand your stress - did you try changing pillow cases more often? trying to talk with the phone away from your chin, cleaning the phone daily? I used to have this problem but i hate talking on the phone and the acne disappeared when i stopped using the phone so much!

I have found the perfect skin care regimine for me, and consists of a good aha cleanser, 3% daily salicylic typed toner, glycolic serum (this is a neccesity for me to keep pores cleared). my skin RARELY breaks out now, and when it does its because im out of one of those products LOL.

As for a moisturizer, I cannot live without emu oil, it is the only thing that has helped moisturize my skin without making me break out. plus it is one of the only moisturizers that penetrates all layers of skin.

P.S. You can get emu oil from platinumskincare or lurebeauty (i think lurebeauty has free shipping but don't quote me on that). I am not sure if you can get it in your local store.

Hi there,

I went on the Acne.org regimen over three years ago and recently stopped. The first year and a half it worked pretty well. The last year and a half, not so much so I quit.

Good luck with the regimen, my advice is:

Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize

Be diligent

No abrasive scrubs, medicated soaps, or anything not on the list of supplies

Wear a good sunscreen (I use Coppertone Oil Free)

Once again, good luck with the regimen!