Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fahqscars

LASER SURGERY

I have come to a conclusion about the whole dark window thing-

it's a little abstract, but...when you see other people, they don't see you in the dark window way. They see you in various lights- sunlight, electric light, whatever. The only one who really sees us in that nasty reflection is ourselves. This is good because nobody else is judging us in such a harsh lighting/reflection, only ourselves. I know that it still sucks, because even if you are the only one witnessing yourself that way, you still hate it. I guess this theory would be wrong if someone was standing next to you and both of you were looking at eachothers reflections in a dark window (remind me to never do that.) Sorry for the confusion, but do you kind of understand what I mean? Basically-- at least we are the only ones seeing ourselves in that type of reflection.

hey gus,

since you noticed that your second laser gave you better results than your first laser, did your doc give you a reason why? Did he use a different laser, technique, went in deeper??? :roll:

hey gus,

since you noticed that your second laser gave you better results than your first laser, did your doc give you a reason why? Did he use a different laser, technique, went in deeper??? :roll:

i must say you did get a good price for 2 laser treatments.

Hope your scars and spirit improve even more as time goes by.

I just finished Accutane about a year ago, and am now researching on different ways to get rid of my acne scars. I truly relate to what you guys are talking about, it's just a horrible feeling not completely loving yourself because of these scars. I'm very nervous about going in for laser surgery, partly because I've read about some horror stories about surgery-gone-wrong, and also because there are SOOO many other methods out there, it seems. Plus, I live in small-town Lexington, Kentucky, and I have to say I don't really trust the skills of the surgeons here. I would rather go to a bigger city with a more accredited and well-known surgeon. Any recommendations?

Hi nutsta,

I'm convinced he used a different laser this time round - I was fully healed up after 1 week. Last time took over two weeks for the redness to go away.

I rang today for a review appointment, and asked the receptionist what type laser it was - didn't have a clue. I'll ask at the review. Other people here want to know as well.

Kittykat - I understand your being nervous - but I think its the only way to go. And your living in the best country possible to ge this done - so do some good research and find yourself a reputable surgeon (If you decide to go ahead with it of course)

I had the CO2 laser surgery done on my face around 1999 and I have been very pleased with the results. I would say that my rate of improvement was close to 50% and I have the boxcar/rolling type of scars, but rather deep. It was expensive, painful, and I had a couple of weeks of downtime but knowing what I know now, I'd do it again. In fact, I'd like to do it again, but really don't want to spend that kind of money this time.

I just got back from the dermatologist and he said that the co2 lazer would work to make my scars less noticeable. $200 a treatment and I need three. Or he said I could go to a different place and have the deep lazer done for $2500 and have a down time of 2 weeks with no face. I chose to sign up for the $200 with no down time. :)

Hi Everyone, I am new to this board and have some questions. I am a 40 year old woman. I have type one diabetes (27 years) So I am a very slow healer!!!! I have been on prescription meds and still break out I only get 4 or 5 at a time but they take 3 to 6 months to go away and i have many icepick scars now not to mention the aging skin (yuk) I had microdermabrasion done 3 years ago it made my broken caps much worse and saw no possitive results at all. 6 months ago I had 2 photo facials done and saw good results but it has all come back now. any suggestions??????????

Hi Cecilia,

I also am 40, have type 1 diabetes and have the dreaded acne scars! I'm not sure what you're asking about: what to do about active acne or what to do about the scars. I have spent a small fortune of ridding myself of my scars and I have had all sorts of procedures including: demabrasion, c02 laser, chemical peel, cooltouch treatments and most recently thermacool. Choosing an option just depends on how much you want to spend, what your expectations for the treatments are and what kind of downtime you're willing to endure. It definitely is an arduous process! Good luck to you!

Hi Cecilia,

I also am 40, have type 1 diabetes and have the dreaded acne scars! I'm not sure what you're asking about: what to do about active acne or what to do about the scars. I have spent a small fortune of ridding myself of my scars and I have had all sorts of procedures including: demabrasion, c02 laser, chemical peel, cooltouch treatments and most recently thermacool. Choosing an option just depends on how much you want to spend, what your expectations for the treatments are and what kind of downtime you're willing to endure. It definitely is an arduous process! Good luck to you!

Hi hols, Thanks for the reply. Do you still have scars left? I have alot of questions and would love to chat with you. Would you email me at [email protected] also how long have you been a diabetic? And did that effect your healing time after the surgeries?

Hi Cecilia,

In answer to you're questions, yes I do still have some scars left but they are pretty shallow now. The cooltouch and thermacool treatments I've had recently have really helped the texture of my skin––as in smaller pores and smoother. I've been diabetic for 18 years––it sometimes has been hell, but as far as healing time is concerned, I healed great, there was no delay in healing. However, a couple of the surgeries certainly messed up my control of the diabetes and sent me to the ER. Not a pleasant experience I can assure you! You can email me anytime with more questions at [email protected]

here are my expectations... is it possible to have one procedure even if it is a radical one, to rid ourselves of these scars completely??? This may sound selfish but if i'm going to spend in the upwards of 5 thousand say.....then i expect it all to be gone!! Is this far fetched? i don't want 50% better i want 99.9-100% better.. like it was before. (i know i'm a freak huh?) :)

here are my expectations... is it possible to have one procedure even if it is a radical one, to rid ourselves of these scars completely??? This may sound selfish but if i'm going to spend in the upwards of 5 thousand say.....then i expect it all to be gone!! Is this far fetched? i don't want 50% better i want 99.9-100% better.. like it was before. (i know i'm a freak huh?) :)

Damn straight, I say, Amy!!

If I spent that much, I would hope so, too, but I honestly doubt it, especially if you have deep scars. However, I honestly do believe we can eliminate scars, it just takes lots of patience and care. I think if we can exfoliate the skin continuously to remove the outermost layer, and then rebuild the scar tissue from within, we can get rid of scars, or at least get to that point where it's all but impossible to notice. I mean, look at laser.....really you're just exfoliating the outermost layers of skin (albeit, much more deeply than say, an acid peel), and then hoping that the skin will allow the skin to regrow so that the scar is diminished. You're really just forcing the skin to rebuild itself and prompt some collagen growth by undoing that scar tissue.

Well, I certainly hope this is true!

Damn straight, I say, Amy!!

If I spent that much, I would hope so, too, but I honestly doubt it, especially if you have deep scars. However, I honestly do believe we can eliminate scars, it just takes lots of patience and care. I think if we can exfoliate the skin continuously to remove the outermost layer, and then rebuild the scar tissue from within, we can get rid of scars, or at least get to that point where it's all but impossible to notice. I mean, look at laser.....really you're just exfoliating the outermost layers of skin (albeit, much more deeply than say, an acid peel), and then hoping that the skin will allow the skin to regrow so that the scar is diminished. You're really just forcing the skin to rebuild itself and prompt some collagen growth by undoing that scar tissue.

Well, I certainly hope this is true!

I just read something today in which a Dermatologist said that since most acne scar sufferers have several types of scars, it would be unlikely to remove them all with one procedure. In other words, different scars require different procedures. Wish I knew where I saw this, but I do so much surfing/researching that I'll probably never find it again. If I do, I'll post a link to it.

Jeezus, i thought i was the only one who was misguided by their dermatologist. Same deal with me too. Much of the grief and psychological pain could of been avoided if my dermatologist perscribed me oral antibiotics right from the get go. Hell, i wouldn't even been posting on this board. !!!!! So f#$%@ annoying and it really ticks me off but i can't do nothing except deal and hope that i can get rid of this stupid scars so it doesn't look like WW2 took place on my skin. The people get paid good amounts of money, the least they can do is give the best possible treatment instead of 5min checkup and a perscription for some lame topical medication that doesn't even work. ARGGGG!!!!!

Who performs the laser surgery? Dermatologists, cosmetic surgeons, or plastic surgeons? How can i find a good doctor to perform laser surgery on my scar? Is there some online website that i can query a list of doctors in my area for this kind of procedure?

I hear you mc!!!

My Dermatologist performed laser surgery on me several years ago - not sure who else does it. I would recommend reading up on the procedure you want to get, then contact Dermatologists in your area for a free consultation so that they can tell you what they offer, what it costs, what their experience is and so forth. I suggest having a long list of all your questions before heading to a Dr. for their advice though. I "interviewed" about 6 different Dermatologists and wound up selecting one who's results, experience and knowledge I trusted.

Hi I am considering laser surgury for severe scarring on my forehead.

Gus, do you know which laser they used on you? CO2 or Erbium yag or both??

I'm really interested in knowing what kind of laser your doctor used on you, what setting, and how many passes as well. I'm learning that those three factors really make a difference. I had disappointing results with my laser resurfacing. When my skin first healed it looked like there weren't any changes. But as the years went on most of the scars actually became deeper and I ended up with scars I hadn't even had before! Please be specific with the procedure if you can, thanks

Your story is identical to mine. I am form Canada where everyone says they are so proud of our public health care. Well that bull**** as far as I am concerned. I went to my GP and he put me on the same useless antibiotics. I went back to him and he said it looks better which was bull because it was just as worse. I too had cystic acne. I kept asking him should you send me to a derm because in Canada you need a referal to a derm esp in the small town where I lived. I was 15 too and didn't know who to turn to. I put all my trust in this a hole of a doctor. Any way the acne ended up being on there so long I knew it was going to scar. Had I have been older as I am know, I would have marched into a derm office and said look at this acne I want an appointment now. ANd I would have got it.

I am now looking at expensive surgeries to correct scarring because of a Canadian doctor who thought he was good enough to treat severe acne when it should have been done by a derm. Thats why the country trains dermatologists for god sakes.

I hope the med system in canada goes private because it is a friggin now.

Just thought I'd share my story.