Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
incubusfanclm

i'm about to tear my face off

hi.. i've been struggling with acne for as far back as i can remember.. if i had to estimate, i'd say probably since the 6th grade. i'm almost 20 years old now, and i've lost all hope of my skin ever becoming better. let me outline what i've been using over the past 8 years:

1. BP, in every imaginable concentration and form.. i've tried EVERY SINGLE product, both OTC and prescription, ranging from 1% to as high as possible.. no effect whatsoever

2. dozens of other OTC acne treatments, including herbal, homeopathic, and all kinds of creams, lotions, sunblocks, washes, scrubs, gels, soaps.. every possible thing in the pharmacy.. no effect whatsoever

3. oral antibiotics for 2 years.. no effect whatsoever

4. salicylic acid treatments in various OTC and prescription forms.. no effect whatsoever

5. proactiv for 3 years.. no effect whatsoever

and most recently, accutane. after 3 months of use at 20mg, 40mg, and 60mg, it has had no effect whatsoever. i was really hoping it would work out considering there's an 80% success rate, however my bloodwork came back abnormal 3 weeks ago, so i was off it for a week. my bloodwork was then normal again, but as soon as i got back on accutane, my liver enzymes were all out of control. so, not only did it not help, i'm now unable to get to the 80mg i wanted (i'm off it all together now).

it's just unbelievable to me that i can have acne for so long and not one proven treatment has helped at all.

kill me now :(

I'm so sorry that accutane messed with your blood. :/

You have no mention of retinoids? Tazorac is strong but it can be drying. Maybe Aczone in the morning paired with it?

Those are sure to do it.

Some people have had success with bc pills too. I'm finding that retinols and chemical exfoliants are starting to do the trick for me...20 something years later.

If you do start something new, make sure you give it a month or two before you stop. Sometimes it take awhile before you see some of these things working.

I'm so sorry that accutane messed with your blood. :/

You have no mention of retinoids? Tazorac is strong but it can be drying. Maybe Aczone in the morning paired with it?

Those are sure to do it.

i used differin for 6 months, which -from what i know- is the in the same family as tazorac.. again, no effect at all.

i'm going to see my dermatologist next week, but she's just as out of ideas as i am.. next step is laser surgery treatment, which of course my insurance doesnt cover, so i wont be getting.. or maybe i was thinking of going to like mexico or somewhere like that and having it done because i can't afford it here, and nothing else works and the acne is ridiculously embarrassing..

hi.. i've been struggling with acne for as far back as i can remember.. if i had to estimate, i'd say probably since the 6th grade. i'm almost 20 years old now, and i've lost all hope of my skin ever becoming better. let me outline what i've been using over the past 8 years:

1. BP, in every imaginable concentration and form.. i've tried EVERY SINGLE product, both OTC and prescription, ranging from 1% to as high as possible.. no effect whatsoever

2. dozens of other OTC acne treatments, including herbal, homeopathic, and all kinds of creams, lotions, sunblocks, washes, scrubs, gels, soaps.. every possible thing in the pharmacy.. no effect whatsoever

3. oral antibiotics for 2 years.. no effect whatsoever

4. salicylic acid treatments in various OTC and prescription forms.. no effect whatsoever

5. proactiv for 3 years.. no effect whatsoever

and most recently, accutane. after 3 months of use at 20mg, 40mg, and 60mg, it has had no effect whatsoever. i was really hoping it would work out considering there's an 80% success rate, however my bloodwork came back abnormal 3 weeks ago, so i was off it for a week. my bloodwork was then normal again, but as soon as i got back on accutane, my liver enzymes were all out of control. so, not only did it not help, i'm now unable to get to the 80mg i wanted (i'm off it all together now).

it's just unbelievable to me that i can have acne for so long and not one proven treatment has helped at all.

kill me now :(

Yeah Ive had acne for twelve years. I know its not fun at all! Sorry Accutane didnt work out for you. It didnt work out for me either. It made me have severe suicidal ideations :crazy: There has to be something out there for us. Ask your derm about aczone. Its a new acne medication. So far, its helping me. I have a bunch of samples of it

a japanese product called Chocola BB helped me. I took accutane for 2 1/2 months and then i took an entire bottle of chocola bb which has about a month of pills in it

Are you male or female? If female you can discuss Spironolactone as an option with your Derm. You can't take it if you are male though, as it messes with the hormones similar to birth control pills.

But it does work very well on women suffering from hormonal acne.

As I mentioned in another tread I too was very troubled with this type of acne. I was on atibiotics and tried all kinds of stuff ordered by doctors, or off the shelf at the drugstore and department stores. Nothing really solved the acne.

What helped me most was focusing on diet:

Food like ground meat with fat; meats and fatty fish in cans (preservatives), live spreads and patees worsen my troubles. I suspect bisctuits and cockies with lots of sugar and fat are no good either. I mostly eat fresh foods now, because I strongly suspect this is one major cause of deep acne. Lean beef seams to be no problem, neither does dark chocolate (70%).

But most importantly: taking 1-2 tablespoons of omega 3 oils ever day (oilblends based pn flax seed, hemp seed, etc. like Udo's Choice, there are several brands) together with a blend of anti-oxidants extracted from tomatoes, kale (type of cabbage), kelp and beet root,. This really improved my condition within 14 days. It seams that anti-oxidants extraced from vegetables work best, but it's a try and test type of thing. If it has no effect with in 14 days to a month try another brand based on anti-oxidants from different sources. It is the phyto-actives like phenols, lectins, bio-flavanoids that can be fantasticly effective in this type of acne. Blends seams to be better than from a single source .

I also like the hydroxy peels, I use a blend of salicylic and lacic acids once a week. It keeps pores open and clogg free. Though the most important and unfortunatley the most expensive step is the anti-oxidants and the omega 3 oils.

thanks so much for the replies guys

just an update, my dermo has put me back on accutane, now at 50mg, and weekly blood tests. she really wants me to at least finish one more month, unless my liver goes way too much over the limit (it's just a little over the limit now). i dont think it'll work, but i'll let you know what happens.

@NoMoreAcne1974:

laser is out of the question, my insurance doesn't cover it and we're not loaded

@greeneyes44:

i'm male, so that's out of the question too :(

@awakening:

i'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, so i basically am eating on a very healthy diet, with lots of fruits and vegetables included. i also weightlift, so cookies & other sweets are off limit as it is. i will, however, ask my dermo about the omega-3 oils next time i see her

unfortunately, i've had to shoot down almost all of your guys' suggestions do to my circumstances/experiences.. i just hope the accutane works, or idk what i'm doing to do :pray:

thanks so much for the replies guys

just an update, my dermo has put me back on accutane, now at 50mg, and weekly blood tests. she really wants me to at least finish one more month, unless my liver goes way too much over the limit (it's just a little over the limit now). i dont think it'll work, but i'll let you know what happens.

@NoMoreAcne1974:

laser is out of the question, my insurance doesn't cover it and we're not loaded

@greeneyes44:

i'm male, so that's out of the question too :(

@awakening:

i'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, so i basically am eating on a very healthy diet, with lots of fruits and vegetables included. i also weightlift, so cookies & other sweets are off limit as it is. i will, however, ask my dermo about the omega-3 oils next time i see her

unfortunately, i've had to shoot down almost all of your guys' suggestions do to my circumstances/experiences.. i just hope the accutane works, or idk what i'm doing to do :pray:

Weightlift :P If you want to grow you will need protein , some carbs and fat. lol