Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chris_23

Scarring from popping pimples/cysts

Hey Guys

I've had acne for about 4 years now. Never been really bad but I've gotten everything from blackheads to cysts throughout my battle. However, I don't have one single scar on my face despite attempting to pop almost every zit I've come across since day one. I have a theory that leaving cysts and nodules to develop for too long breaks down the skin and can lead to scars. My reasons for thinking this stem from the fact that a number people I know who have had moderate to severe acne, and who do not appear to pop their acne, seem to take longer to heal and subsequently appear to have remaining scars. Furthermore, it is a well-known fact that minor skin infections left untreated can cause scarring.

I want to make it clear that I am in no way trying to sway anyone's minds on the subject. I realize that everyone has different skin types, different severities and types of acne, and that everyone heals differently. I merely want to see what everyone else has to say on the subject from their own personal experience, and hopefully as a group we can formulate some sort of conclusion on the matter. By doing this I hope we can offer better advice to our peers on this site, and hopefully better understand acne and its effect on skin.

Thanks

I pop almost every zit I get just because Im obsessive like that. I have a few very small indentations but I mostly have redmarks. My acne is moderate by the way

I have a scar from a cyst on my chin but it's not that bad though, that's the only bad scar I have from popping pimples, once I pop them and they heal the red mark fads quick enough.

i dont scar or have less of a scar if i pop it then when i leave it alone. but i think it depends on your skin and knowing your skin.

Do you have any scarring as a result?

I already answered that. No, I have indentations. One of my indentations is from a zit I had that had three heads to it and I didnt pop them either. Last year is when I really got into popping them. I just think leaving yellowheads on my face is disgusting! I just dont use my nails. I use two cotton squares. If it doesnt come out, I leave it and I try again later.

i'm asian with thick skin, and i always try to pop my cyst. i dry them up so that they start peelng, and when the skin on the cyst gets thin enough and the infection comes to the surface, i lance it with a needle and pop it. once it pops, it starts to flatten and heal. if i don't pop it, it takes longer to go away, and may come back in the future because the gunk that clogged the pore didnt get removed.

i am fortunate that i havent had any scars from popping. i have a few small indents on my nose from a long time ago, thats it. i am extremely prone to hyperpigmentation that lasts a long time though.

the first and worst scar i have is from the first cyst i've ever gotten, and i didn't know what it was, so i spent about a week trying to pop it. it's on like the top of my nose in between my eyes. whenever anyone asks me about it i tell them it's a chicken pox scar :shhh:

Does anyone ever get like red indentation marks from where the fingers were pressed while trying to pop a pimple? It has happend to be twice now where I was pressing kinda hard with my two pointer fingers while trying to pop a little whitehead (unsuccesfully) and then afterwards the spots where my fingers were are all red and so now the whole area looks worse then if I had just left the pimple alone!! Do these markes take long to dissapear? It's just weird cuz it's not from the pimple itself, it's marks above and below it from my fingers, which I did not think would leave lasting marks on my face!

the first and worst scar i have is from the first cyst i've ever gotten, and i didn't know what it was, so i spent about a week trying to pop it. it's on like the top of my nose in between my eyes. whenever anyone asks me about it i tell them it's a chicken pox scar :shhh:

ahaha

Does anyone ever get like red indentation marks from where the fingers were pressed while trying to pop a pimple? It has happend to be twice now where I was pressing kinda hard with my two pointer fingers while trying to pop a little whitehead (unsuccesfully) and then afterwards the spots where my fingers were are all red and so now the whole area looks worse then if I had just left the pimple alone!! Do these markes take long to dissapear? It's just weird cuz it's not from the pimple itself, it's marks above and below it from my fingers, which I did not think would leave lasting marks on my face!

In the future, dont use your fingers to pop your pimples. Use either two q tips or two cotton squares.

Ive popped pimples before and have never gotten like a bad scar or anything. Then i began to break out really bad all over my face and decided i wasnt going to pop them because i was scared they were going to leave nasty scars. So i left them all alone and now i have horrible red marks all over my skin. I think its really weird, the ones i dont pop are the ones that stayed.

I always try to pop my pimples (bad bad bad habit) and for some reason my skin never gets scarred, not saying I should keep popping them, but I just never do. However, I suffer from very bad IHP (those nasty dark marks that never go away :(). And because of this IHP, I stopped popping my pimples, although it still leaves a mark even when I didnt pop or pick on it.

I pop. I can't help it. I feel like it definitely speeds the healing process...I can't imagine some of those pimples just going away on their own. I pop all my whiteheads and they've never left any scars...they leave behind red marks but if I don't pop they chill on my face even longer and still leave red marks. So why not?

Cystic pimples...that's another story. They linger on my face forever and I always screw up and mess with them...bad idea. It just ends up bigger, more inflamed, and even redder. Plus the skin around it looks dry and disgusting from all the poking and prodding. Usually they eventually start leaking and I squeeze all the gunk out. That's the only way they go away for me. If I just leave the cyst on my face they either never go away or they sink back down into my skin, leave a red mark, and come back a month later. I hate those. They're evil. I have two tiny indentations on my forehead from my hormonal cystic pimples and one on my nose. That sucker stayed for a couple months....it even went back to being flesh colored but just stayed as a giant lump on my nose. I can't remember how I ended up popping it, but that war wasn't pretty.

never pick, NEVER. Unfortunately got two small scars from two huge pimples, i thought they would leave and my skin would be good but those bastards left me a surprise.

From my experience, pimples that I don't pop even leave scars. And I have had acne for a decade now. I think it depends on the person. Most people will tell you that popping a pimple will prevent or reduce scars and this applies to most people, however in my case it doesnt do anything except maybe make the cyst last longer. I have scarred just as bad even when I havent touched a cyst.

From my experience, pimples that I don't pop even leave scars. And I have had acne for a decade now. I think it depends on the person. Most people will tell you that popping a pimple will prevent or reduce scars and this applies to most people, however in my case it doesnt do anything except maybe make the cyst last longer. I have scarred just as bad even when I havent touched a cyst.

I am a popper and see no correlation between my popping and the few scars I have. I always pop "garden variety" zits...blackheads, whiteheads, etc. I've had cysts that I've picked and not scarred. I only have 3 or 4 tiny pin-prick scars and they are from severe cysts that lasted forever and ever. They were the kind that were huge & red & sore, and I left them alone, let them 'dry out' only to be left with a smaller zit with a hard core underneath. The core came out easily, but left a gaping pit. Luckily, the pits have closed up and are not huge ice-pick marks. So, for me anyway, it's been a certain kind of cyst that resulted in a scar...not just the fact that I am a popper!

Popping is so much better for me. It gets rid of the crap inside and heals.

If I don't pop they just stay in there being all inflammed and red.

It really is an individual thing and depends on how the lesions are excised (popped) and more importantly, I think are the variables in the human condition. Why some people scar and others don't or why some lesions leave scars and others don't is one of the mysteries that medical science has yet to figure out, in my opinion. There is probably a genetic basis for this, I imagine,and some people have skin that is more genetically predisposed to scarring and others don't, it's that simple really.

The major problem with untreated cysts is that the pus and other debris have no way to effectively evacuate so either surgical excision or anti-inflammatory injections have to be done. Eventually, if not treated the cyst will subside, but this can take months, frequently leaving a lump or mark. Then too there is a possibility that the cyst will ulcerate leaving a big purple blotch filled with dark colored blood and the ulcerated area becomes very difficult to heal, scabbing over and over. I think today, most dermatologists prefer the anti-inflammatory injection approach although this make not be totally successful in all cases, sometimes the infection and inflammation are simply too great and either repeat injections or injection with excision/drainage is called for, for optimal results. Surgical excision even by a competent medical professional can leave scars which a principal reason many derms choose not to employ this technique except as a last resort.

I think the whole issue of scarring is extremely complex, and probably beyond the scope of this board, yet you raise a very interesting question for which I don't think a there is a totally satisfactory answer.

Joe Zit