Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All the reviews I am reading about zinc say it's great for cystic acne. I have tons and tons of acne, but its all small whiteheads (and blackheads but who cares). Does zinc work for this type of acne?

zinc does a lot more than just being anti inflammatory. it speeds up the healing process and is good for your immune system to fight off infection and bacteria. i would start taking 50mg a day for a week or so, see how that does. if it's a small improvement or no improvement at all, bump it up to 100mg for only 2 weeks. if theres no improvement, then zinc will do nothing.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Zinc-Regi...-2-t227691.html

use this regimen it has great info. make sure that you dont end up taking 100mg zinc everyday because you'll increase the risk of an overdose. if you vomit or have really bad nausea you should stop.

lol, Im taking 150 mg a day using my own regime, and I have noticed considerable improvements in my skin in only 5 days. I am also one of the lucky ones that does not get sick from too much zinc intake.

yeah, but has anybody noticed results for small inlfamed whiteheads, specifically? As opposed to cysts and stuff. I have tried a lot of things and zinc may be an answer, but I hope it works for my skin type.

The pills I just got are 50mg. So I should just take this for a week, and up dosage? thanks.

side effects of zinc, I don't know. Nasusea, upset stomach, stuff like that, you just have to take it with food and should be fine.

I have tried BP and SA and BP worked for me, but I couldn't take the redness and dryness it caused. SA doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

yeah, but has anybody noticed results for small inlfamed whiteheads, specifically? As opposed to cysts and stuff. I have tried a lot of things and zinc may be an answer, but I hope it works for my skin type.

The pills I just got are 50mg. So I should just take this for a week, and up dosage? thanks.

Yea, I have nodular whiteheads on my forehead, really the only bad part on my face, probably due to a zinc deficiency in my body, and the 150 mg a day is really considerably helping alot healing it up. I suggest try taking 50 mg,and if you dont feel sick, then boost it up to 100 mg a day.

Especially if your acne is hormonal which mine is, then it will definitely help you out.

For small inflamed whiteheads, you should just use a topical. I've gotten mine under control with MaMa lotion, which is great but definitely pricey. If you respond well to SA or glycolic, it might help in a similar way because they're both acids. BP would probably help as well, especially if you glop it on as per regimen instructions.

And I did *not* know zinc helped with cystic acne! I've been trying a bunch of topicals for mine, but would like to look into this.

What are the side effects?

Topicals are one of the worst things you can use for acne, the reason being because it doesnt attack the root of the problem. Almost everyones acne is because of their diets, deficiencies or something that is wrong with you internally. I spent 100's of dollars on topicals for my forehead alone, and nothing every helped it. The topicals that did help were only temporary until i went off them, then the acne came back.

That is why i am strictly now focusing on attacking my acne from the root, my internal deficiencies, and believe it or not, it is 10x cheaper and giving me much better results than any topical i have ever used. I will never go back to topicals again, they are a waste of time and money. If you want your acne to be gone, get tested for your nutrient and mineral levels and find out what you are lacking, then use supplements to bring back your deficiencies to par or where they should be.

I agree that internal treatments tend to be vastly more effective, but I also know that the right one is nigh impossible to find. There are just so many factors to consider and filter out, especially when you're dealing with something like diet. I'm sure finding that solution would pay off big-time ultimately, though, but I sort of doubt I'll ever find it.

That said, topicals aren't 'the worst thing' for acne. Though they don't attack the root of the problem, they're quite effective at calming down or obliterating existing acne, and are fairly effective (though obviously not foolproof) at preventing new breakouts. My skin has looked terrible lately, but I've gotten it to improve noticeably using a topical. Benzoyl peroxide is also known to be extremely effective at curing inflammatory acne, though it's never worked for me.

I'd say a mixture of diet and topical use is optimal. Now, it's time for me to find some zinc to eat.

Well for starters, one can begin with doing a liver, colon,parasite and candida cleanse. From then on, i'd start eliminating fast food products, anything with sugar and artificial ingredients, and start eating more home cooked foods, fruits and vegetables (maybe even add in a superfood formula like delicious greens 8000 or Boku). From doing this alone without any topicals, I have cured probably about 80% of my acne.

The other acne on my forehead has needed a new drastic solution and zinc seems to be that solution. I even purchased this e-book online which talks everything about acne, what not to eat, and what is optimal for your skin.

Curing acne definitely is not a simple solution, more like a joint solution caused by you from doing cleansings, eating more healthier, potentially taking supplements that help your deficiencies etc. But after finally doing all these things, I think my acne is soon going to come to an end and I am so excited because I worked so hard to acheive this for so long.

I haven't used any topicals since last summer so around 7 months, and my skin neither became worse or improved, so I find no need to take it and consider it a waste because it just completely sucks for stubborn acne.

But if you truly want your acne to go away forever and to have to never use any creams or lotions to prevent it from sprouting, then start living a more holistic lifestyle and you should definitely notice some improvements.

Good post. Do you have any recommendations for a cleanse?

Fortunately, I have been treating my body with much better food since my skin got worse - I've been avoiding sugars, bread/pasta products that aren't whole wheat, corn syrups, soda, fast food, and most unnecessary dairy (I do still eat yogurt occasionally). I've also been eating many more vegetables than I typically do, and have worked a lot of fruit into my diet. While my skin hasn't drastically improved, I've been continue to curb terrible breakouts. It's ludicrous when people say that what you eat has no effect on acne - only if you were genetically blessed skin, in which case you could smear your face in dirt and eat nothing but fried Twinkies all day and look relatively nice.

Also, what supplement do you use? Just a simple zinc pill?

Liver cleanse - used an assortment of products found at the any local supermarket. Appples, Apple juice, epsom solt, extra virgin oil etc.

Colon Cleanse - used boku super cleanse. I recommend this one to others for one reason, because it is one of the only affordable colon cleanses that has zeolite clay in it which is a natural mineral that literally scraps all the gucky and grimy stuff right off in your intestine. In the colon cleanse set, you also take herbal pills to help with bowel movements.

http://www.bokusuperfood.com/boku/ingredie...nse-ingredients

Parasite and Candida cleanse- Clarkia parasite cleanse. Its a very popular and potent formula. Just a few drops of this and you will know what I am talking about. It is also my anti candida formula also, so I kill 2 birds with one stone on this one. I am on my second cleanse currently (actually nearing the end) and I have not tested myself for parasites, but I did do my own candida test at home and I tested negative for it. :)

http://shop.toolsforhealing.com/Clarkia_Cl...rbc-clarkia.htm

As For supplements:

I like to interchange between superfoods in the mornings when i wake up. I have taken both BOkU superfood, and right now I changed to Delicious Greens 8000 just for a new taste really. Both products are very good, and I would recommend both if you are looking for a superfood product.

Also in the mornings I take:

-3 zinc tablets

-1 500 mg of Vitamin C

-Brocolli seed extract (Detoxing agent)

-1 Ola Loa Vitamins and Minerals drink (basically like a multi vitamin) http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=6677&at=0

- (every once in a while I will also cycle on krill oil.)

I have then another superfood smoothie at night before going to sleep.

Okay well ive been taking it 3 or 4 days now (too lazy to check lol) and I can't say there is big improvement. I have been taking 100mg a day because it doesn't make me sick.....even if taken on an empty stomach.

However, I recently had an extremely stressful period around the same time I started the zinc. I broke out very badly, and the zinc doesn't seem to be making it heal faster.

BUT there are not many new zits forming, it seems as if I should have more :think:

I will continue taking it until the bottle runs out though, no need to quit hehe.

That's what I figured. But I thought the fact that I am pretty much taking a very large dose would help, and I have read reviews and such of people seeing results even quicker than 3 or 4 days.

I just hope it works eventually...

I've been using zinc and fish oil for about 5 days now, along with going back to using benzoyl peroxide at night. So far, i've seen improvement, but I cant say which one it's been.

3 or 4 days isnt really long enough to see any results even if it's going to work

It is for me. A large dose of zinc stops my acne within about 48 hours, but only when combined with other substances. Zinc all by itself helps me very little (which is true in general, if you read the various studies of trying to use oral zinc on acne -- it's only modestly better than placebo). If I didn't see significant results from large-dose zinc within a week, I would stop taking it.

Anyone had success at preventing or reducing oily skin as a result of taking zinc ?

Yes, several years ago I was taking zinc, B-complex and C and it made my skin a lot less oily and I rarely had any inflamed acne on my face. This was the first thing that ever helped me, other than figuring out a food intolerance that caused cysts.

I have seen significant improvement.

It has been maybe 5 days or so now, taking 100 mg everyday, and I look pretty good.

The same time I started the zinc, I had a huge breakout from stress, so my skin is definitely not clear, but there should be a lot more.

I get new spots everyday, and my skin is usually in a constant state of bad.

Last night I drank, smoked cigs and pot, and stayed up until about 6 am. SO Understandably, I have a few new spots, but still the skin looks much clearer.

This is no placebo effect, this is the most improvement ive seen from any treatment other than BP. Usually, I can't tell if something is working or not, since acne gets a little better and worse on it's own.....but this is actual improvement.

My only problem now is if it will still work when I start taking less, because I can't take 100mg of zinc everyday can I?

I reccomend zinc to anybody who hasn't tried it, the bottle of 100 pills was only 4 bucks, and it probably won't hurt.

Well I'd say Im about on day 9 or 10 right now, my whole face is virtually clear of acne. As noted before, my forehead is the worst part of my face for acne, and right now, my whole left side is clear with no bumps or red marks, the right side has 1 zit that is almost flattened out and a couple of tiny red spots. 3-4 more days should get the rest of my forehead clear. I plan to be using zinc for another 2.5 weeks, whether my face is fully clear or not.

Well I'd say Im about on day 9 or 10 right now, my whole face is virtually clear of acne. As noted before, my forehead is the worst part of my face for acne, and right now, my whole left side is clear with no bumps or red marks, the right side has 1 zit that is almost flattened out and a couple of tiny red spots. 3-4 more days should get the rest of my forehead clear. I plan to be using zinc for another 2.5 weeks, whether my face is fully clear or not.

Wow, that's awesome! I just started taking zinc. I took 250 mg last night and 100 mg today. How much do you take to get those results? And how much zinc is too much zinc?

first 3-4 days i started at 100 mg, and from then on i upped the dosage to 150 mg. But I started noticing the vast improvements even from 100 mg, so I am not even sure if the 150 mg is even making that much of a difference. 250 mg is definitely over board on the zinc, I wouldnt take no more than 150 mg (thats if your body can handle that amount). I usually take 150 mg on an empty stomach every morning before breakfast, and I always feel fine, but I also know that I have a serious zinc deficiency in my body (a mineral that is supposed to help fight acne) and ever since i have been taken it, my body is basically purging itself of acne. I still get a few odd zits,but they usually go away within 2-3 days so its no big deal really.

to be honest i wouldnt use over 100mg a day. any more than that and you're at serious risk of depleting your body of copper, which isn't good.

to be honest i wouldnt use over 100mg a day. any more than that and you're at serious risk of depleting your body of copper, which isn't good.

I substitute in a 50 mg of copper at night before i go to sleep.