Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dragon10

17 Yr old's story on acne

Hi there. I've been a long time user of acne.org and have been lurking around here and there. I started getting acne after 6th grade, I remember it all to clearly. First, some blocked pores on my nose. I was curoius as to what it was and how to treat it. I bought my first over-the-counter acne product not too long after, it was some blackhead wipes by Neutrogena. Not long after that blackheads turned into pimples. Those painful ones. I started getting more and more. Being a 14 year old with pimples all over your face is not good at all. School was hell. I was once a well talkative and well liked kid. Soon I became distant, started having days where I just didn't want to go to school anymore because of my face. keep in mind that I'm pretty much the only kid in school who has a major acne problem. Middle school, what a disaster.. everyone became more socialize, close friends started getting girlfriends and going out while I was in a all out war with my face. I remembered this one day where my best friend's girlfriend walk past me and was like "Ewwww.. making the most disgusted face." I then quickly as I could went to the restroom to pop it. You really don't even know how much time I spent in those school restrooms. It was either be the first one to class and don't draw attention to yourself or stay in the restroom for as long as you can so you don't have to walk pass people in a crowded hallway.

After nearly a year after I started getting breakouts, (keep in mind that these breakouts weren't just a pimple here and there.. they were painful an they were BIG) I finally had the nerves to call a dermatologist. At that point my life was a mess, coming from a 17 year old you probably think I'm making a big deal out of this. At that point I still had my best friend by my side, I mean he made it seemed like I didn't even had acne. It was around that time that my anxiety went through the roof. I pretty much could look nobody in the eyes. I felt like evryone was just staring at me everywhere I went. Being a guy and all I stooped into wearing make-up. Can you imagine? A 15 year old being so self-conscious with his skin, that he wears make-up? I've got to admit it did ease my insecurity a bit, till this one day a kid in the restroom asks me if I'm wearing make-up. I suddenly realized how obvious it was, that greasy shine on my face with the uneven skin tone.. I was devastated. For some reason, after this incident I still continued wearing make-up and continued having incidents where people would ask me if I was wearing any. This continued until the end of my freshman year in high school.

High school finally came. Teachers in middle school said that it would be the fastest and funnest four years of your life. Well that really wasn't true in my case. Freshman year was wow. I've never been in a place with so many people, around 2,500 I think. I was pretty much an oddball in the class, with my long hair, tight fitted pants and bright colored shoes. Throughout my first year this was pretty much my day in school: Wake up a little over an hour to get ready, makeup, be around the last people to arrive at school to avoid situations where I would have to present myself, class, and restroom. Repeat. A couple years has past since then. I went on accutane at the end of my freshman year. I thought my fortunes were taking a turn for the good when I realized that after the acne had gone away, it left me scars. SCARS?! What is this a joke? I mean I really don't know anymore. I some what had a control over my mental state this last year, believing that my scars are healing and one day they will be gone. But I realized just a few days ago that these scars will never go away and I will always be a prisoner until I get help. My anxiety is really the highest it's ever been. When we have oral presentations in class I shake. Even when we have to read from out seats I get red and nervous. I really don't want to go through it anymore, rarely thinking about suicide. I'm planning to have some laser treatment done on the scars this summer, hopefully.

Anyone can recommend some treatments that might help me? I interested in laser fractional resurfacing, fraxel and Pro-Fractional Laser. What really disgusts me is how clinics lie how they don't have any treatment centers with the same procedure hoping that you would fly across the entire country to get a certain procedure done when you can get it done a few hours away from your home. I'm asian with a yellowish skin tone. I think I'm going to post some pictures of my face when I get the chance. If you read my post, than you, I really don't have anyone to talk to about my battle.

good shit man. sounds like the typical, yet fucking horrible, story. i am also 17 and half asian. acne kills many people's self-esteem, but dont let it get to you just because you are in high school. people make high school out to be more than it is. let acne make u stronger, build on what you've went through and learn to be confident now that your skin is and will be better.

good luck with your future re-surfacing treatments and stay strong.

wow interesting story. your asian and thats scares me about your laser treatment. theres a big risk since your skin color. Another thing is do you still have acne? if you do still have break out like myself. I would suggest not to have any treatments before your completely clear. my best advice is to wait a bit. your just at the start of your youth and another couple of years with scarred skin isnt going to hurt you. theres alot of new exciting treatments there are just coming out. like stems cells, and dermorolling.

Hey buddy..your story is not uncommon on this forum..theres options out there to help you improve your scars..do a lot of research and get as many answers about as many treatment options as you can..treating scars takes a lot of patience and determination..theres no easy or quick fixes that I am aware of at this point..you wanna make sure you find a treatment or several treatments that give you the best chance for success..don’t jump into a treatment without knowing everything there is to know about it..ask questions..you don’t wanna waste your time and money..theres a lot of people out there who have spent thousands of dollars with nothing to show for it but loss of hope..or they only made there scarring worse which is totally demoralizing..So make sure you do your home work..theres a lot of people on this forum who have tried one treatment or another..and they can help you learn and get a first hand account from real life experiences..

Try not to get to far down, you’re not alone. Keep up your school work and achieving your goals. Achieving goals builds confidence..little by little you can start improving your scars.."I am a firm believer in a healthy diet and weight lifting to help improve your scars and life as a whole"...and try to always stay positive..you’ll have bad days ahead, but don’t lose your positivity in the midst of it all..good luck and good things bro. :)

hah I'm going through the exact same thing and I'm a sophmore this year. Although, my anxiety isn't as bad as yours. I acutally started getting better with oral reports by volunteering to read, but I know how hard that can be with some people. My acne this year was extremely bad, but it's also the best year I've seen my face. My acne greatly reduced through the use of skin ID(check my pictures in my albums). But now that I have that issue over with, I'm left with dark hyper pigmentation (dark spots left from acne). I've been using bio-oil with my skinID a little over 1 1/2 months and I'm starting to see some differences, but it's extremely slow! I guess I'll have to wait a few more years until my skin is back to when I was in elementary and happy. I hate always avoiding people in fear they'll make fun of my face and I want to look people in the eye when I talk with them. I know some people say my acne isn't bad, but that's because it only now started getting better. Because I've had it for so long (since 5th grade) my brain is registered to thinking I'm not beautiful until every single blemish is gone. That's how bad acne has affected me psychologically. I just want to live my teenage life happy with beautiful skin like every other teenager out there.

wow interesting story. your asian and thats scares me about your laser treatment. theres a big risk since your skin color. Another thing is do you still have acne? if you do still have break out like myself. I would suggest not to have any treatments before your completely clear. my best advice is to wait a bit. your just at the start of your youth and another couple of years with scarred skin isnt going to hurt you. theres alot of new exciting treatments there are just coming out. like stems cells, and dermorolling.

Hey, thanks for all the positive and helpful replies. My skin is pretty much free of any active acne, just a zit every now and then. I've read that thread by the Bulgarian Doc about stem cells for scars, it sounds awesome, but what are the chances of it coming out within the next 5 years? As for the risk of hyper-pigmentation being asian, I've seen lasers being used on people with my skin type on youtube. Is that not helpful? And yes, I've been trying to do my best to seek the best treatment. Right now, it really looks like laser is the only way to go. I try to keep myself believing one day this will all be dead and gone. In the beginning of this school year I really tried my best, I was getting an A in every class. I came in to school with a positive outlook, my classes were fun. But something just happened after winter break, I just lost it. The other day at school I think I heard some girls talking about me, they were talking how they like vietnamese guys and I wasn't sitting to far away. I heard something along the lines of: "I would, but have you seen his face?". I do believe I'm a pretty good looking guy, but the scars are pretty much what keeps me back from meeting girls. Laser treatments do look to be very expensive, so I really do plan on getting to know which one is the best. If I could just get it done during the summer and go back to school my senior year with a smooth flawless complexion I would be thrilled. Scars are basically what's holding me back from life. And to the reply about me sounding cute, not at all.. I was just trying to fit in when having long shaggy skater hair was cool..

Hey, thanks for all the positive and helpful replies. My skin is pretty much free of any active acne, just a zit every now and then. I've read that thread by the Bulgarian Doc about stem cells for scars, it sounds awesome, but what are the chances of it coming out within the next 5 years? As for the risk of hyper-pigmentation being asian, I've seen lasers being used on people with my skin type on youtube. Is that not helpful? And yes, I've been trying to do my best to seek the best treatment. Right now, it really looks like laser is the only way to go. I try to keep myself believing one day this will all be dead and gone. In the beginning of this school year I really tried my best, I was getting an A in every class. I came in to school with a positive outlook, my classes were fun. But something just happened after winter break, I just lost it. The other day at school I think I heard some girls talking about me, they were talking how they like vietnamese guys and I wasn't sitting to far away. I heard something along the lines of: "I would, but have you seen his face?". I do believe I'm a pretty good looking guy, but the scars are pretty much what keeps me back from meeting girls. Laser treatments do look to be very expensive, so I really do plan on getting to know which one is the best. If I could just get it done during the summer and go back to school my senior year with a smooth flawless complexion I would be thrilled. Scars are basically what's holding me back from life. And to the reply about me sounding cute, not at all.. I was just trying to fit in when having long shaggy skater hair was cool..

theres a person getting stem cell injections with a laser treatment. its on the stem cell thread.

If I could just get it done during the summer and go back to school my senior year with a smooth flawless complexion I would be thrilled. Scars are basically what's holding me back from life.

I read this line of your post and it worried me a bit. It's very important to understand how much improvement you can expect to see. I had TotalFX profractional laser (similar to Fraxel Repair) treatment in October (you can look at my before/afters in my gallery on this site) and my scars improved about 50 percent. To me, that is great, but it is certainly not 100% improvement or a smooth flawless complexion.

I would just hate to see someone go into a treatment like that expecting totally smooth skin, only to face more disappointment when their results aren't what they thought.

hey man, ur in the right place, everyone here will try their best to help you, im 20 and ive suffered since i was 10 too, it was like reading my own story except i was so fed up with everything that i did attempt suicide, twice! (there was more than acne involved but during the teen years it was the biggest reason) but beleive me when i tell you it'll get better, it'll be difficult but itll get better.

For the scars, if you can specify what kind of scars, maybe someone here will have an idea or two.

Hang in there

The only reason I haven't done laser yet is because I am afraid of hyper-pigmentation (I have darker complexion). I went to a dermatologist and he recommended the profractional laser, which apparently is a breakthrough in laser therapy and can be used on all skin types. But to be honest, I have read mixed results regarding laser treatment, at best. Also, to achieve results, you would need multiple treaments and that costs $$$. So I have tried dermarolling for now. I rolled last thursday, so if I see results in the next few weeks I will definitely let all of you know.

The only reason I haven't done laser yet is because I am afraid of hyper-pigmentation (I have darker complexion). I went to a dermatologist and he recommended the profractional laser, which apparently is a breakthrough in laser therapy and can be used on all skin types. But to be honest, I have read mixed results regarding laser treatment, at best. Also, to achieve results, you would need multiple treaments and that costs $$$. So I have tried dermarolling for now. I rolled last thursday, so if I see results in the next few weeks I will definitely let all of you know.

good luck.

Yes, I'll keep that in mind Genki when I do get any procedure done. I took a look at your before and afters and I must say that my scars are some much like yours, but more spread out. I'm assuming you're asian from your skin tone and username, so did the doctors say anything about any risks of hyper-pigmentation? In most of our cases a little bit improvement will be just fine. What bothers me most though is not the scar itself but the darkness and brown spots around it. How much did your treatment cost?

Hey colostomus, thanks for the advice. I'm sorry for the pain you went through. I do try to keep positive with keeping my mind off it. Right now I find that lifting weights can help a little. I'll be posting pictures whenever I can get my hands on a quality camera.

Saleena, if you do go through with the procedures I hope they go well. Have you asked if they've performed it on people with your skin type before? To me these scar treatments are so tricky when it comes to finding which one is the best for you. Nowadays it seems like all the doctors want to do is make money.

Yes, I'll keep that in mind Genki when I do get any procedure done. I took a look at your before and afters and I must say that my scars are some much like yours, but more spread out. I'm assuming you're asian from your skin tone and username, so did the doctors say anything about any risks of hyper-pigmentation? In most of our cases a little bit improvement will be just fine. What bothers me most though is not the scar itself but the darkness and brown spots around it. How much did your treatment cost?

Hey colostomus, thanks for the advice. I'm sorry for the pain you went through. I do try to keep positive with keeping my mind off it. Right now I find that lifting weights can help a little. I'll be posting pictures whenever I can get my hands on a quality camera.

Saleena, if you do go through with the procedures I hope they go well. Have you asked if they've performed it on people with your skin type before? To me these scar treatments are so tricky when it comes to finding which one is the best for you. Nowadays it seems like all the doctors want to do is make money.

alot of docs are out to make money..so just be really smart about this whole thing..you seem like a bright kid..I am really happy to hear you are lifting weights..it can make all the difference..the dedication and determination to build muscle and strength will carry over into all the area's of your life..eat nutritious foods too. scars are very hard to treat, takes alot of patience and determination like I said. but you can get decent improvements if you have a sound plan of attack and take good care of your body...I would think enough that you can feel alot better about yourself..you are young and thats the best time to treat scars. just keep asking questions like you have been..you are headed in the right direction. ;)

My treatment cost $2000. With the stronger lasers there is always a risk of hyperpigmentation. I am not Asian myself, but the doctor who did my procedure is. She also works with a lot of Asian patients. She told me before my treatment that she usually recommends that people with darker skin use hydroquinone (skin whitener) for a few weeks prior to CO2.

Hi there. I've been a long time user of acne.org and have been lurking around here and there. I started getting acne after 6th grade, I remember it all to clearly. First, some blocked pores on my nose. I was curoius as to what it was and how to treat it. I bought my first over-the-counter acne product not too long after, it was some blackhead wipes by Neutrogena. Not long after that blackheads turned into pimples. Those painful ones. I started getting more and more. Being a 14 year old with pimples all over your face is not good at all. School was hell. I was once a well talkative and well liked kid. Soon I became distant, started having days where I just didn't want to go to school anymore because of my face. keep in mind that I'm pretty much the only kid in school who has a major acne problem. Middle school, what a disaster.. everyone became more socialize, close friends started getting girlfriends and going out while I was in a all out war with my face. I remembered this one day where my best friend's girlfriend walk past me and was like "Ewwww.. making the most disgusted face." I then quickly as I could went to the restroom to pop it. You really don't even know how much time I spent in those school restrooms. It was either be the first one to class and don't draw attention to yourself or stay in the restroom for as long as you can so you don't have to walk pass people in a crowded hallway.

After nearly a year after I started getting breakouts, (keep in mind that these breakouts weren't just a pimple here and there.. they were painful an they were BIG) I finally had the nerves to call a dermatologist. At that point my life was a mess, coming from a 17 year old you probably think I'm making a big deal out of this. At that point I still had my best friend by my side, I mean he made it seemed like I didn't even had acne. It was around that time that my anxiety went through the roof. I pretty much could look nobody in the eyes. I felt like evryone was just staring at me everywhere I went. Being a guy and all I stooped into wearing make-up. Can you imagine? A 15 year old being so self-conscious with his skin, that he wears make-up? I've got to admit it did ease my insecurity a bit, till this one day a kid in the restroom asks me if I'm wearing make-up. I suddenly realized how obvious it was, that greasy shine on my face with the uneven skin tone.. I was devastated. For some reason, after this incident I still continued wearing make-up and continued having incidents where people would ask me if I was wearing any. This continued until the end of my freshman year in high school.

High school finally came. Teachers in middle school said that it would be the fastest and funnest four years of your life. Well that really wasn't true in my case. Freshman year was wow. I've never been in a place with so many people, around 2,500 I think. I was pretty much an oddball in the class, with my long hair, tight fitted pants and bright colored shoes. Throughout my first year this was pretty much my day in school: Wake up a little over an hour to get ready, makeup, be around the last people to arrive at school to avoid situations where I would have to present myself, class, and restroom. Repeat. A couple years has past since then. I went on accutane at the end of my freshman year. I thought my fortunes were taking a turn for the good when I realized that after the acne had gone away, it left me scars. SCARS?! What is this a joke? I mean I really don't know anymore. I some what had a control over my mental state this last year, believing that my scars are healing and one day they will be gone. But I realized just a few days ago that these scars will never go away and I will always be a prisoner until I get help. My anxiety is really the highest it's ever been. When we have oral presentations in class I shake. Even when we have to read from out seats I get red and nervous. I really don't want to go through it anymore, rarely thinking about suicide. I'm planning to have some laser treatment done on the scars this summer, hopefully.

Anyone can recommend some treatments that might help me? I interested in laser fractional resurfacing, fraxel and Pro-Fractional Laser. What really disgusts me is how clinics lie how they don't have any treatment centers with the same procedure hoping that you would fly across the entire country to get a certain procedure done when you can get it done a few hours away from your home. I'm asian with a yellowish skin tone. I think I'm going to post some pictures of my face when I get the chance. If you read my post, than you, I really don't have anyone to talk to about my battle.

dude! that was inspirational!!!! you're like reading my life!! I am 15 and Asian also. I thought that I'm very unlucky with my acne but you showed me that we must be thankful that we have this site to help us. My problem is only blemishes, and a little big pores but, the blemishes will be gone in about 1 1/2 months but it still sucks while I am in high school.

Hope you will be successful with your problem

Dragon10:

My journey with cystic acne started when I was in the fourth grade and got my first pimple. When I entered the eighth grade, I got my first cyst on the left side of my nose.

When I started the ninth grade, I got a large red cystic lesion on the tip of my nose. I looked like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer! :ninja: I had just joined the track team and wanted to bury my head in the ground. One day, one of my friends on the track team said, "Hey, what happened to your nose?" I was so embarassed that I didn't come to the next two practices.

So, I can totally relate to how acne has affected your life. The end result of my cystic acne was red marks and deep scarring on my left and right cheeks along with my chin.

If you have rolling scars, I would suggest subcision. I had this done on Monday, March 16th and I have been very pleased with the results so far. Also, if you have pitted acne scars, you may want to explore the TCA Cross Method. With this method, the doctor inserts a wooden applicator with Tricholoracetic Acid into the pitted scar. The technique was actually developed by a Korean doctor.

Finally, you may want to consider Lactic Acid treatments. The Lactic Acid is a natural moisturizer and will help even out any red blotchy marks left from acne lesions.

Be encouraged.....there are various treatments that you can pursue for your complexion that help can help you. Keep in mind that your on a journey and you need to be patient with the process as you explore the various paths you can take for healing.

Make it a great day.