Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i never thought i would ever want to do this, but after having such horrible dry red irritated skin (i dont have acne or pimples or anything) i decided to do this.

so starting from tomorrow i am going to officially be a raw vegan, meaning only raw fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc.

this is not a vegetarian, but rather different.

anybody else follow this diet and see any results?

I've heard of acne sufferers having really good results with the 80-10-10 diet by Douglas Graham. Its a diet primarily of fruits and vegetables along with very small amounts of nuts.

One of the guys who used to be on this board, I think his name is Sepso, cleared his acne with it. He now writes books on Acne, I hear.

Here's a site about it: http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/811diet.htm

cool thanks

i think becoming a vegan will definitely help (oh and i decided to just be a regular vegan instead of only eating raw food, which can be pretty hard)

Actually, it's probably easier to eat raw vegan than cooked vegan diet. And to be honest, from health point of view, I don't see much point in eating cooked vegan. Raw vegan, yes, but cooked vegan diet can still include lots of garbage foods and is by no means guaranteed to be healthy. Whereas if you eat raw foods you are bound to drop processed and other foods that are not that good for you.

Also, you don't have to go 100% raw. Just increase the % of raw foods in your diet. Over time I've worked up my % and eat about 80% raw now.

Actually, it's probably easier to eat raw vegan than cooked vegan diet. And to be honest, from health point of view, I don't see much point in eating cooked vegan. Raw vegan, yes, but cooked vegan diet can still include lots of garbage foods and is by no means guaranteed to be healthy. Whereas if you eat raw foods you are bound to drop processed and other foods that are not that good for you.

Also, you don't have to go 100% raw. Just increase the % of raw foods in your diet. Over time I've worked up my % and eat about 80% raw now.

Couldn't agree more. Raw vegan is not something you attempt overnight without any difficulties in my experience. Much better to focus on getting much more of the good stuff in rather than worrying too much about getting the bad stuff out...

thats what im going to do sepsi

i dont think juice is fully raw since its pasterized? unless you make your own

Both the "raw" and the "vegan" has little to do with health and are alot more like religions than diets.

Raw vegans are great at creating their own "healthy raw treats" such as raw ice cream, raw energy bars raw this raw that. Those items are only marginally better than candy.

Becoming a vegan is in no way beneficial to your skin or health. The health improvements people achieve trough following such a diet are due to avoiding processed foods, not animal foods. The placebo effect also plays a major role. A far more sensible and balanced approach would be to eat a diet containing both vegetable and animal food.

This diet would be healthier, cheaper, tastier, more varied and alot easier to follow if you included a daily portion of steak, butter,a few eggs and perhaps some seafood.

The same way of thinking applies to the "raw" part of the diet. Some foods are better eaten cooked, others raw or near raw. Nutrients from vegetables are well known to be more available to our digestive systems when eaten cooked (even more so if they are eaten with fats for that matter). Egg whites are another food that becomes alot more digestible when cooked.

Do not go raw vegan. Go whole food omnivore with traditional cooking methods. Any and all benefits of the raw vegan diet is also achievable through this diet. Without the common side effects of raw veganism, eating disorders and malnutrition.

It is foolish to blame the beef patty for the effects of the coke and fries.

Both the "raw" and the "vegan" has little to do with health and are alot more like religions than diets.

Raw vegans are great at creating their own "healthy raw treats" such as raw ice cream, raw energy bars raw this raw that. Those items are only marginally better than candy.

Becoming a vegan is in no way beneficial to your skin or health. The health improvements people achieve trough following such a diet are due to avoiding processed foods, not animal foods. The placebo effect also plays a major role. A far more sensible and balanced approach would be to eat a diet containing both vegetable and animal food.

This diet would be healthier, cheaper, tastier, more varied and alot easier to follow if you included a daily portion of steak, butter,a few eggs and perhaps some seafood.

The same way of thinking applies to the "raw" part of the diet. Some foods are better eaten cooked, others raw or near raw. Nutrients from vegetables are well known to be more available to our digestive systems when eaten cooked (even more so if they are eaten with fats for that matter). Egg whites are another food that becomes alot more digestible when cooked.

Do not go raw vegan. Go whole food omnivore with traditional cooking methods. Any and all benefits of the raw vegan diet is also achievable through this diet. Without the common side effects of raw veganism, eating disorders and malnutrition.

It is foolish to blame the beef patty for the effects of the coke and fries.

I disagree with your advice Glennart and I'm aware of your history of tampering with raw albeit not successfully although there are very good reasons for why it didn't work for you.

I wouldn't tell anyone "do not go raw vegan" (or do not anything) my advice would be try it and see if it works for you. If you feel great then great, if you don't then try something else but certainly see if it holds true for you, not avoid it entirely because someone tells you it's foolish or some kind of religion :)

My diet is healthy, cheap, tasty and varied and it works for me in more ways than I thought possible.

thats what im going to do sepsi

i dont think juice is fully raw since its pasterized? unless you make your own

Pastuerised isn't technically raw although if you have a juicer or blender you can make much tastier recipes than you'd find in the shops!

hey lolly, i was wondering if you use raw almond butter and raw apple cider vinegar in your foods. (i believe they are raw)

hey lolly, i was wondering if you use raw almond butter and raw apple cider vinegar in your foods. (i believe they are raw)

I have done yes. I've added ACV to some tomatoey recipes to take the edge off. You can make smoothies with the nut butters as well as obviously just eating them straight.

I tried this diet a little bit ago for about 3 weeks. I have to say it was not for me. I ate only raw fruits and veggies. My skin got much worse while I was on it and I felt terrible. That's not to say it won't work for some people.

where did you get your almond butter? i couldnt find it at trader joes or wholefoods

They are readily available at most wholefood shops or you could try online? I'm in UK so that might be why.

hey lollypolly, do you buy organic produce?

Yes I'm a stickler for organic!

I tried this diet a little bit ago for about 3 weeks. I have to say it was not for me. I ate only raw fruits and veggies. My skin got much worse while I was on it and I felt terrible. That's not to say it won't work for some people.

To be fair, 3 weeks is not very long to try and then give up. Perhaps your approach was not best suited to you. It's natural that your skin might flare up initially particuarly if there's been a lot of crap going in for your whole life. If you add pure water to a cup of water that has dirt in the bottom it's going to get all dirty as soon as you add it in but if you keep adding and adding and adding the pure stuff then the dirt would gradually disappear. That's the best analogy for me. It's likely that the feeling terrible was a detoxification process. Obviously if that kept going for weeks and weeks and weeks I'd say you were possible nutrient deficient in some respect however in my opinion 3 weeks is not very long to begin with.

ty for that grandagent good to hear both sides

It's cool that lollypolly had success with the diet, but I must say raw vegan isn't going to cure your acne. The only way I cleared up (and I did clear completely) on raw was eating only certain vegetables, which are carrots, broccoli, spinach, bell peppers, lettuce, occasional zucchini, flax seeds and wild canadian blueberries plus olive oil. ANYTHING else would make me breakout, including cucumbers and especially things like raw tomato, bananas, pineapple, even avocado and banana.

Don't even get me started on other fruit like cherries, peches, green apples and coconut. The only time raw vegan worked for me is when I stuck to low-sugar, non-starchy vegetables and loads of olive oil. I had to eat so much oil in order to have enough calories. It's NOT good for you to be consuming that much. My 'raw vegan' diet worked but is not necessary and not optimal for health.

I just want to metion that nuts trigger some of the worse breakouts for me and others.

Since then, I have added in a few foods in order to make my diet complete and easier on the digestion. Some meat, some dairy and eggs, plus a starchy carb source like potato or rice every other day to keep up energy. If I stick to this diet, I can be 100% clear with tons of energy, plus I can even cheat sometimes when out with friends with bread or a pasta dish and a risky salad dressing with no consequences.

Always soak and peel your vegetables, it makes them much easier to digest, preventing constipation and gas.

That's really interesting. I too find nuts break me out and if I have too many seeds. Bananas were iffy for a while and I do tend to avoid high sugar fruits too!

To be fair, 3 weeks is not very long to try and then give up. Perhaps your approach was not best suited to you. It's natural that your skin might flare up initially particuarly if there's been a lot of crap going in for your whole life. If you add pure water to a cup of water that has dirt in the bottom it's going to get all dirty as soon as you add it in but if you keep adding and adding and adding the pure stuff then the dirt would gradually disappear. That's the best analogy for me. It's likely that the feeling terrible was a detoxification process. Obviously if that kept going for weeks and weeks and weeks I'd say you were possible nutrient deficient in some respect however in my opinion 3 weeks is not very long to begin with.

Lolypolly,

I understand your logic. However, I have had acne for a loooong time. I have been on two high dose courses of accutane as well as every other treatment that exists. My derm finally put me on microdose accutane. When I started this diet I was clear. I stopped the accutane for it and within 2 days my skin was terrible. I did an apple fast for three days initially then went 100% raw vegan. I had really bad bodyaches, lost a ton of weight, and my skin got worse and worse for those three weeks. Being 22, and working in the industry I work in, I couldn't continue. Now, maybe things would have gotten better in time? I cannot refute that. I can however point you to my diet log, where I am trying the low glycemic load approach. In the week I have been on it my skin has stayed clear. I was not even 100% clear on microdose accutane. I believe my condition is related to insulin resistance; I find that there is more research supporting the idea of low glycemic load in increasing insuling sensitivity. That's not to say raw vegan does not work, I could have given it more time. But being a 215 pound male and a fitness hobbyist, I couldn't life on such a diet any longer. Anyhow, different strokes for different folks right? I laugh at the postings here where people declare "X" an absolute "cure". If anything this disease has proven itself very cunning and what works for one may not work for another. I'm glad this method worked for you. I'm just hoping my new approach continues to work. I am, however, not getting my hopse up after so many years of dissapointment :).