Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sean !

Does your skin problems make ya feel hesitant about entering a relationship/or even just like hooking up with people ?

of course, once in a while a girl will ask me out and i always think how can some girls even like me, sick...lol but anyway i never say yes because i know i would just make them feel disapointed or something cuz they chose to be with someone with ugly skin and have to be seen with that everyday.

Aww that's not true. They must like you for who you are to ask you out!

Anyways, I sometimes hate that I met my crush when my acne came back, I wish I met him when my skin was clear (stupid acne treatment stopped working!). But it seems like he doesn't care about that stuff. But I have avoided talking to my crush before because my acne.

Yeah, for me it totally does. I mean I don't think I'm ugly. I have nice eyes and get complimented on that a lot. It's just with my mild acne, I feel to scared to ever approach a guy. :-/. Whenever I sense that I'm getting hit on, I freeze up and try to hide my face. It sucks major!

Whenever I sense that I'm getting hit on, I freeze up and try to hide my face. It sucks major!

I know what you're saying, after a few hours i'm so frickin oily that if anyone hits on me or wolf whistles yadda yadda i just tend to ignore it or try n bail.

Ugh it's almost like i'm too ashamed to be seen with myself or sumfin. :(

This thread just inspired me to register.

My acne has pretty much cleared up. I have pretty mild scarring and occasionally I'll get a small spot, but after the years I endured feeling self-conscious about my skin I'm just really grateful to leave the house without make-up and feel reasonably good.

The hangover? I still act like I have acne. All those years (between 17 and 22) I avoided eye contact with anyone who checked me out, turned down every guy no matter how persistent or else sabotaged my own dates (!!!) and just developed a truly tragic self-esteem. Now I'm in this odd position where I'm really comfortable with how I look, but just cannot break out of the social patterns I kept for all that time. I still have that split second where I think, Why would he bother with me? Even for the total douchebags I'll think it... Even for the douchebags.

I guess I always assumed that I would become this really social, approachable person from the moment my skin cleared up but the truth is that your skin doesn't define any of that. Take whatever you can get right now!! People who find you attractive despite your acne are the ones worth hanging on to. These are the kind of people you want to be dating when you clear up anyway. Your acne is a jerk-filter. Use it.

This awful topic defines my entire life. I feel like i'm denying myself the best years of my life over my complexion.

There is one constant in this topic; everyone thinks that someone won't like them because of their acne, and everyone is afraid to get into a relationship because of their acne.

Take it from me; a normal junior in high school this past year who really liked a girl who was "out of my league".. i swear she showed almost every sign of liking me, but i was just too much of a pussy to make a move. I noticed that she was more outgoing around me when i was more outgoing around her.. and the acne made no difference. In the beginning of the year when i was so caught up and self-conscious about my acne, i barely talked to any girls. Once i said to myself "fuck acne, mind over acne i am gonna beat this shit", things got a lot easier... i was more outgoing around girls, and always looked them in the eye while speaking to them. This exudes confidence, which girls love and they can see past your acne if you do this.

Bottom line; Unless someone is a douche bag (in which case you won't want to be with them anyway) they won't care about acne, no matter how severe it is. If they are showing signs that they are interested, and not making comments about your acne it shows who they are and how they see past your acne and focus more on you as a person. Don't get so self-conscious, because regardless people will see that you have acne. That's a complete given and everyone knows this; it's just realizing it and living with it. If you conduct yourself and show that you're comfortable in your own skin, people will be naturally attracted to you. If you act self-conscious because of your acne, people will see your acne more and know that if effects you, therefore being less attracted to you because of your lack of confidence.

You have acne.. you can be a downer and close yourself off from getting to know awesome people... or you can be optimistic about your acne, know that one day it will improve, and do your best to show your true self.

This is MUCH easier said than done, and you really have to engrave it in your head that it is 100% true. Once you do that, life with acne will be a lot easier

Take whatever you can get right now!! People who find you attractive despite your acne are the ones worth hanging on to. These are the kind of people you want to be dating when you clear up anyway. Your acne is a jerk-filter. Use it.

i agree, it's def a jerk-filter. sometimes i would stress over ppl who would say hurtful comments about my skin .. i would think it was my fault that they felt the need to point it out. i see now that it wasn't.

when i first started getting acne, it would make me hesitant about starting something. now, i take other things into account. i think when you've had acne for some time, you learn that meeting someone who's compatible with you is too special to pass up because of your skin.

Yeah, I can relate to this. Although after have a few shots of "liquid courage" (a.k.a. Vodka and hard liquor), I usually chat up the girls but most times with no success.

i have never pursued a girl with a face full of acne. so that dates back over 4 years ago.

although i have had brief months of clear skin in between and then i asked one girl out and hooked up when i could. which is still minimal.

surprisingly, some girls even express interest in me. but i always back away. but i wouldn't say that i have been permanently damaged and will continue to act in this manner forever.

My ex boyfriend had severe acne all over his back, and yes this may sound shallow, but they were just very very nasty. I felt like the skin on my hand would melt off if I accidentally touched his back while we were hooking up.

My cousin once told me: "You can't love anyone else until you love yourself."

She couldn't have been more right. I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for three and half years, and I'm STILL constantly worried about what he thinks about my skin (face AND body). It's taken a toll on the relationship on occasion. The other night I was feeling weepy about my acne. He asked me what was wrong and I told him how I hate my body. He told me he loves my body, but naturally I still feel insecure and depressed. I KNOW his love and words should be enough, but it doesn't always help. And seeing as how we live together, he's seen it ALL. Poor guy has to deal with my attempts at remedies, too. (Apple cider vinegar being the newest and nastiest.)

So yeah, case in point, even when you've been close and comfortable with someone for a long time.... does NOT get any easier. (Okay, a little.)

Yes, I deny almost any guy that likes me because I feel like I'm not good enough for them with my skin.

Im the exact same way

YES

definitely

because the thought of some people seeing my horrific face without makeup makes me feel sick

& people who haven't had bad skin will never understand this

& the thought of me waking up in the morning next to someone with amazing skin & having them look at my horrendous face makes me so nervous

Usually when I meet a guy at a club or a bar (dimmed place & lots of liquor) I will talk to them, and give them my number, but once they call I wont even answer. I've lost many oppurtunities for dates and relationships because of my insecurities. It's sad, but true.

YES

definitely

because the thought of some people seeing my horrific face without makeup makes me feel sick

& people who haven't had bad skin will never understand this

& the thought of me waking up in the morning next to someone with amazing skin & having them look at my horrendous face makes me so nervous

I can relate, sometimes i think i'll only ever be truly comfortable in a relationship if like i go out with a gurl with acne or sumfin .

Ugh at least i wouldn't feel so friggin self conscious and insecure around them every second of the day lol.

Jeez no wonder i don't commit.

So it was summer, and my best friend was really starting to get into a serious relationship.

Her and her boyfriend went to the movies every weekend, and of course, i had to tag along.

Her bf finally realized how awkward it was for me, so he started bringing his best friend...

who coincidentally was this amazinggggly hot guy that everyone from my school drooled over!

I didnt really know him, but we became friends really fast, and i started to get a crush.

We went to the movies as a group like 10 times, and nothing really happened between us.

I finally spilled to my friend and told her i liked him, and she was like oh... and just smiled.

(wow, my own best friend laughing at me cuz i liked a guy way out of my league!)

well apparently, she smiled because she knew something i didnt.

the next day he came to my house and asked me out!!!

i almost died!!!! so everything was perfect until about week later...

what the heck was on my face?!?!?!?!?!

where did all these come from.....?!?!??!

thats right... i got bitten by the acne bug. AND BAD.

needless to say, i became overly self concious, and didnt want him to see me.

so 2 weeks went by without a single date, and we went to separate schools so no hallways...

one day i got a text at work saying "i need to talk to you later"

i knew what was coming...

so as you can assume, he dumped me... i cried... lost all my self esteem... the usual...

On top of hating what i saw in the mirror every day, now i hated myself because of the breakup

I was such an emotional wreck that instead of realizing that he thought i was avoiding him,

i began to think he broke up with me because of my acne (which he hadnt even seen..DUH!)

Needless to say, because of that, i started avoiding him alltogether, and our friendship...

well its never going to be like it was.

So here i am now, thinking that all guys hate me because i have acne.

DONT DO THIS TO YOURSELF!!!!

acne on guys has NEVER bothered me.

so why should my acne bother guys???

I know there's a guy out there who doesnt mind, who sees whats under these bumps.

don't lose hope.

So it was summer, and my best friend was really starting to get into a serious relationship.

Her and her boyfriend went to the movies every weekend, and of course, i had to tag along.

Her bf finally realized how awkward it was for me, so he started bringing his best friend...

who coincidentally was this amazinggggly hot guy that everyone from my school drooled over!

I didnt really know him, but we became friends really fast, and i started to get a crush.

We went to the movies as a group like 10 times, and nothing really happened between us.

I finally spilled to my friend and told her i liked him, and she was like oh... and just smiled.

(wow, my own best friend laughing at me cuz i liked a guy way out of my league!)

so 2 weeks went by without a single date, and we went to separate schools so no hallways...

so as you can assume, he dumped me... i cried... lost all my self esteem... the usual...

On top of hating what i saw in the mirror every day, now i hated myself because of the breakup

I was such an emotional wreck that instead of realizing that he thought i was avoiding him,

i began to think he broke up with me because of my acne (which he hadnt even seen..DUH!)

Needless to say, because of that, i started avoiding him alltogether, and our friendship...

I know there's a guy out there who doesnt mind, who sees whats under these bumps.

don't lose hope.

OMG im so sorry that happened to u!!! Is it just me or are guys more particular about skin?? like i feel like a girl would date a guy with acne, but guys are...more, i don't wanna say judgemental, but i feel like they want a girl who is "perfect" when it comes to skin. Just some observations. Like if they were to talk to their friends and be like..."oh what do u think of so and so" the friends would be like, "ewww gross skin" even if they have acne too!!! Almost like its less acceptiable for a girl. I could be totally wrong, but thats just what ive noticed with some guys. At least the ones i know, like to rip apart girl's flaws.

don't lose hope.

OMG im so sorry that happened to u!!! Is it just me or are guys more particular about skin?? like i feel like a girl would date a guy with acne, but guys are...more, i don't wanna say judgemental, but i feel like they want a girl who is "perfect" when it comes to skin. Just some observations. Like if they were to talk to their friends and be like..."oh what do u think of so and so" the friends would be like, "ewww gross skin" even if they have acne too!!! Almost like its less acceptiable for a girl. I could be totally wrong, but thats just what ive noticed with some guys. At least the ones i know, like to rip apart girl's flaws.

yeah that is true. Guys are jerks sometimes.

In the most complete way possible, yeah.

It's a confidence killer. Who would want me? It's that kind of thought process, and that's why I never make the first move. Ever.

That aint how it works hun.

You've obviously had the misfortune of being around some reeeally immature judgemental guys, im sorry you feel that way.

Oh yesss...my girlfriend comes in 2 days from vacation and I'm hesitating going and seeing her cause I look like crap atm

Yes and no.

My skin makes me definitely feel uglier, lower, etc. I'm not proud of my skin and talking to people, I can become shy.

But

I'm naturally out there and talkative. I have a bubbly personality and I can usually talk to anyone. So while my skin is making me seem bad, my personality makes up for it.

That aint how it works hun.

You've obviously had the misfortune of being around some reeeally immature judgemental guys, im sorry you feel that way.

I guess so.. I just feel like im under a magnifying glass at my school.. girls and guys alike.