Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fort thunder

washing your face properly. warm and cold water?

is it true. you are suppose to wet your face with warm/hot water and then rinse the cleanser off with cold water?

does it really matter? or is this a must?

how long do you normally wash your face for? whats too short whats to long?

i dont know if there are any sets rules about this, i think it depends on the products you use, but i think in general you should wash your face with cool or luke warm water. water that's too hot can irritate your skin, and water that's too cool might not do enough for opening your pores. i'm not 100% sure about that, but i know all the OTC and prescription products i've used, and my derms, have said luke warm water.

also, you should wet your face and then massage your cleanser into your skin GENTLY with your fingertips in a circular motion for a little bit - maybe 15 seconds. this is enough time to let the cleanser get in your pores but not long enough for it to irritate your skin.

Personally, I rinse with warm/hot water, steam with really hot water, rinse with warm/hot water, and then splash with the coldest water I can get from my tap to close my pores.

The steaming is pretty obvious, it opens my pores. I don't feel clean if I don't use warmer water, and I know I usually have a breakout when the weather gets super hot, because I usually start using cooler water out of a need to beat the heat.