Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bleh

Should I take Accutane?

Okay, so iv been wanting to take accutane for quite some time now, and finally, i am going in the next 2-3 days for my blood work.

but, the thing is, im getting freaked out.

its really hard to explain, like i really want to do it, because:

my skin blows

self-confindence sucks

need a girlfriend

etc.

but im just worried about it, and if its worth it.

i know everyone has their own opinions about accutane, but should i go on it?

Bleh, people on this website can bombard you with the pros and cons of accutane to your hearts content. As long as you have all the proper information the only peron who can answer this question is you and thats really the only opinion that matters.

It sounds like your skin is having quite an impact on your social and emotional outlook, so you just have to decide whether the possible adverse side effects are outweighed by the boost in self-esteem and confidence that accutane will hopefully give you.

Good luck and keep us posted with your decison.

Bleh, people on this website can bombard you with the pros and cons of accutane to your hearts content. As long as you have all the proper information the only peron who can answer this question is you and thats really the only opinion that matters.

It sounds like your skin is having quite an impact on your social and emotional outlook, so you just have to decide whether the possible adverse side effects are outweighed by the boost in self-esteem and confidence that accutane will hopefully give you.

Good luck and keep us posted with your decison.

well, for example, you're on accutane.

do you regret it/are you happy with it?

Very early days for me to say, but yes so far I am happy.

One thing I will say is that there are many people who have great success on accutane on this website but because they are successful they dont return to this website (most people have no reason for an acne support site if they no longer have acne). So thats why you may find a large amount of negative views on accutane on here, those with bad experiences are still here to vent their frustration. Thus you may find a bias towards the negative side of accutane on here. Just bear this in mind.

good luck

Okay, so iv been wanting to take accutane for quite some time now, and finally, i am going in the next 2-3 days for my blood work.

my skin blows

self-confindence sucks

need a girlfriend

etc.

Bleh,

Let me tell you it is worth it. I'm on my fourth month. My skin has cleared up, my confidence is up and I'm actually dating a hot chick now.

Your side effects may differ, than mine. Mine were not bad at all thus far. They included really dry lips (make sure you buy lots of chapstick), dry skin, dry hair/scalp. Sometimes I felt tired and a little depressed but that came and went and may have had to do with some stress I was having. Cholesterol was up, but Dr. says that's normal and will come back down. The worst part is probably not being able to drink. (I only drink once or twice a month)

Clearing up you skin will not necessarily make you popular or attractive or get you a girlfriend. That is something you have to be proactive about. Even as my skin began to clear, I was still stuck in the mindset that I wasn't good enough, but I overcame that. You have to mentally get over your acne too. Thinking positive and acting confident will help you with this. Looks alone will not change your shyness (but it can't hurt).

Overall, yes I'd take it. You won't regret it.

my skin blows

self-confindence sucks

need a girlfriend

etc.

Bleh,

Let me tell you it is worth it. I'm on my fourth month. My skin has cleared up, my confidence is up and I'm actually dating a hot chick now.

Your side effects may differ, than mine. Mine were not bad at all thus far. They included really dry lips (make sure you buy lots of chapstick), dry skin, dry hair/scalp. Sometimes I felt tired and a little depressed but that came and went and may have had to do with some stress I was having. Cholesterol was up, but Dr. says that's normal and will come back down. The worst part is probably not being able to drink. (I only drink once or twice a month)

Clearing up you skin will not necessarily make you popular or attractive or get you a girlfriend. That is something you have to be proactive about. Even as my skin began to clear, I was still stuck in the mindset that I wasn't good enough, but I overcame that. You have to mentally get over your acne too. Thinking positive and acting confident will help you with this. Looks alone will not change your shyness (but it can't hurt).

Overall, yes I'd take it. You won't regret it.

haha, i hear you about the drinking part dude.

its not even like my acne runs my life, or i have no social life, its actually the opposite, i love my friends, but its just that my acne kinda just makes me feel like shit sometimes.

thanks for the reply man, im definitely gunna go for it now.

i think that part thats freaking me out the worst right now are the blood tests.

isnt there like some kinda gel that they can use to numb it before they put in the needle?

even if they dont, do they hurt really badly, iv never gotten one.

fuck yea.

i went into it not even thinking. but not by choice ( i was so excited to get started i didnt even register any consequences).

dont get psyched out, you havent even started yet. dont let other peoples' downfalls scare you away.

No man blood tests don't hurt at all. It's sort of like getting a shot or giving blood. They just put the needle in your arm(without numbing--it's not needed at all)

A little trick I learned when I was little was to not look at the needle at all, and look away from where the nurse will draw blood from. You'll feel a little prick and you're done. You may get a little light headed but it goes away after a few minutes.

GL with the course, I think you'll find you've made the right decision.

No man blood tests don't hurt at all. It's sort of like getting a shot or giving blood. They just put the needle in your arm(without numbing--it's not needed at all)

A little trick I learned when I was little was to not look at the needle at all, and look away from where the nurse will draw blood from. You'll feel a little prick and you're done. You may get a little light headed but it goes away after a few minutes.

GL with the course, I think you'll find you've made the right decision.

thanks man.

i might actually go for bloodwork tomorrow.

will my blood test results be okay if i got drunk on saturday though?

yea, you should...after the course you can finally move on with your life. Acne will no longer be an excuse not to go out, meet people, and make a name for yourself...

I hate accutane and wouldnt recommend it to anyone but thats just me. It worked wonders for my skin but it fucked with my head. Personally, if I had to choose having constant suicidal ideations or acne, I would choose acne anyday

I hate accutane and wouldnt recommend it to anyone but thats just me. It worked wonders for my skin but it fucked with my head. Personally, if I had to choose having constant suicidal ideations or acne, I would choose acne anyday

Amen. Same, severe joint pain or acne? I'll have acne please.

You act as though it's a direct trade-off. It's not.

A more accurate statement would be, "if you take Accutane, you have a 95% chance of clearing your acne partially or completely.. however you also have a 5% chance of developing severe lasting side effects".

So the question is really, "are you willing to accept a 5% risk of long-term joint pain (or whatever side effect) for clear skin?"

Your opinion is biased, because you had horrible side effects. Mine is biased in the opposite direction because I have had nothing but success, and I accept and understand both sides of the coin. I just don't think it's fair for you to go parading around as though it's 100% certain that this is the trade-off he's going to be making by choosing to take Accutane.

A more accurate statement would be, "if you take Accutane, you have a 95% chance of clearing your acne partially or completely.. however you also have a 5% chance of developing severe lasting side effects".

So the question is really, "are you willing to accept a 5% risk of long-term joint pain (or whatever side effect) for clear skin?"

Your opinion is biased, because you had horrible side effects. Mine is biased in the opposite direction because I have had nothing but success, and I accept and understand both sides of the coin. I just don't think it's fair for you to go parading around as though it's 100% certain that this is the trade-off he's going to be making by choosing to take Accutane.

Agreed.

I agree that most people are fine immediately after treatment or even in the years following. But people like yourself don't realise the mechanism of action, which has only recently been established (why would you look into it when you are what seems to be perfectly healthy).

It is not a case of 95% of people are ok, because the mechanism by which it clears acne, is the same reason why your DNA is altered. You won't believe me when i say your life is almost certainly shortened and you will be in worse health later on in life. As i said, all the evidence points to this and it will one day become common knowledge. Until then, people like yourself feel that accutane is the bee's knee's and you haven't been effected.

People need to understand, once you haven taken a decent amount of accutane, certain parts of your DNA will never be the same. The same parts which correspond with healthy ageing, longevity and the development of a number of age related disorders..

I said i wouldn't do this anymore. So that is it from me in this thread.