Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jwebb426

Not Washing My Face 14 Day Log

Before you quit for the sake of your skin, please remember that jobs are incredibly difficult to come by right now. There are tons of people looking. So maybe rinsing your face every other day to remove grease is better than being unemployed?

try rinsing this way: splash warm water, splash cold water, splash warm water, splash cold water, pat dry.

keep it up dude! btw, read my post about the true holistic approach. that would surely help.

JWebb I have cleared up my acne using bp and my skin is really good now however I'm still very interested in your method due to the fact that it's probably overall better for the skin. Is your skin less oily because of your new method? I've been thinking that maybe doing nothing at all to the skin might actually slow down oil production, have you experienced this?

Day 14

Shaved my face with a 2-bladed razor in the shower today. I used sensitive skin shaving cream.

Today my face looks amazing, my nose is almost the same color as the rest of my face..

none of the small pimples i was worried about have enlarged, and my skin isnt very flaky.

2 Week Summary

Originally when i started this "Caveman Approach" i intended to leave my face alone for 14 days. It ended up that i rinsed my face 3 times in 2 weeks. According to the research i've done on this regimen, that has hindered my progress. So.. I am extending this personal log to 21 days instead of 14, because I believe i can go a full week without letting water touch my face.

Days 1-10 were not fun at all. Having people ask me why my face is so dry and flaky was annoying. Short answer; I just lied to them and told them I was starting accutane and it was drying me out. I couldn't exactly say "I'm not washing my face anymore"

Towards the end of my 2nd week the flakes were subsiding. By no means are they gone after 14 days, but they aren't severe.

Replies

DangDave - Yes my skin produces less oil now, but its hit or miss everyday. Some days my face looks oily.. Others, my face effectively absorbs all the oil. I'm hoping if I give my face more time, it will be more consistant.

Wapak - Thanks for the tip on facial rinsing. I actually read your holistic approach before I started this journey. Whats your shaving method?

Halon2 - I'm a full time college student, and I will be for the next 4 years until I get my masters; So I really don't need much money per week living under my parents wing. This job isn't life or death for me.

Dan - Are you sleeping on your side? I always broke out on my cheeks and sideburns when my face touched my pillow. So I switched to sleeping on my back. Its not as good of a good nights rest, but its worth the skin improvement.

Pics

th_rightside-1.jpg

th_frontpic.jpg

th_1st.jpg

Wow, amazing improvement man!

Well, my shaving method is this: wet the double blade razor then shake it to remove some water on it. Then use it as is. I don't wet the areas I shave at all.

I have another post that might help out:

Keep it up!

Hey Wapak, condiring im still going through puberty, do you still recommend this all natural regimen? Ive been doin none stop topicals for the last 2 or 3 years and my pores seem clogged up pretty bad but not that much acne, 2 or 3 patches from time to time, 1 big zit, little bumps on forehead visible up close. I really feel like tryin it but are initial breakouts real bad?

p.s, I have no family history of acne in family, avsolutly no acne on chest,back,shoulders or neck, it really seems to be all over where i apply topicals lol

Thanks in advance

Jwebb it's really good to hear you've made some serious progress with this it's really difficult for me to attempt because bp is keeping my skin clear however I think for the over all health of my skin I would prefer not to use it. My main concern though is how do you avoid water on your face completely?Like wouldn't showers be extremely difficult and what about washing your hair?

Gratz jwebb, ur pics look really good. My sleeping positions are all over the place, sometimes my face buried head into the pillow lol, usually on the side i break out though maybe, so that could be a factor thanks for that idea.

dangdave: Its not terribly hard, just lean your head back not facing the showerhead and let it run down the back of your body, a few water drips might drip down ur face no biggie...when you get outta the shower first thing get that towel on ur head. It takes some getting used to

Jwebb your skin is looking amazing I'm starting to think this thing is the answer. If you don't mind I'm going to start my own 14 day log do you mind if I use this thread just to minimize the amount of backtracking we have to do to track progress? I'll post my first days progress (today) and if you don't want me to post anymore just let me know and i'll make my own thread :cool: One of my first questions is after you complete the 21 days do you intend to go to washing your face with just water? or atleast letting water touch your face in the shower? I'd think we'd have to let our faces ge wet again sometime in our lives. Anyways here she goes:

Day 1

I didn't use BP last night I just used water and moisturizer just to get the bp out of my face for good and today is my first day not letting anything touch my face. Currently I have 3 small white pimples on my chin that aren't very noticeable. I also have one inflamed red pimple on my nose that was from a few days ago, I feel it might have gotten inflamed because of the BP which is why I was eager to quit. Most of my pimples usually leave red marks so i'm also eager to see if this do nothing regimen leaves them with no marks. Skin is currently a bit oily we'll see how it improves on this. I'll update again tomorrow.

Day 15

Skin was very oily today for some reason. 1 small whitehead formed on the side of my nose.. not very noticeable. After reading Wapak's holistic link, I decided to swear off pizza. Had olive oil on some noodles for dinner... with a little salt it tastes amazing, and its very good for you.

Also contemplating taking shots of Apple Cider Vinegar in the morning, but I just dont want change too many things at once.

DangDave - After my 21 days are up, I'm just going to rinse my face after shaving... Which will be every 3 days in the shower. Seems like a good balance to me... and by all means go ahead and post your progress in as much detail as you would like.

*a little word of encouragement; Fight through the flakes... they dont last too long.

Why exactly does the skin get flakey? We're no longer drying out and irritating our faces why does that still happen? and how long till it goes away?

It gets flaky, because of dead skin. Not dry skin.

Your skin gets very accustomed to having its dead skin cells striped everyday with you use a face wash. Without that face wash to "exfoliate" your skin, you need to give your skin time to recover.

It took me 10 days to get past the flakes. Try not to pick them off either. Soon you will have healthy skin underneath.

When you exercised and were sweating did leaving the sweat on your face cause you to breakout? Cause I know exercise is good for acne but maybe not for our regimen since we're not washing, did you experience a breakout as a a direct result of sweating?

Yes, but only on my nose. I believe that was because the sweat was literally dripping down my nose. From now on, i bring a towel with me and very very very gently dab the places on my face where sweat is dripping. Letting most of it air dry is good because of the salt it brings to your skins surface to kill bacteria.

Hey Wapak, condiring im still going through puberty, do you still recommend this all natural regimen? Ive been doin none stop topicals for the last 2 or 3 years and my pores seem clogged up pretty bad but not that much acne, 2 or 3 patches from time to time, 1 big zit, little bumps on forehead visible up close. I really feel like tryin it but are initial breakouts real bad?

p.s, I have no family history of acne in family, avsolutly no acne on chest,back,shoulders or neck, it really seems to be all over where i apply topicals lol

Thanks in advance

hey, ya there! this is applicable to anyone with acne. because this is the way to correct our mistakes that caused us to have acne in the first place. as far as I can remember, no one that tried this experienced an initial breakout yet.

tell me if ya want to do this and I will guide you through the whole process to make sure you do it right.

Day 2

No new pimples at all today, the ones from before I started this have stayed the same. My skin is considerably less oily today I guess my face is getting used to absorbing the oil and why shouldn't it I'm leaving it in it's natural state. My skin has started to flaked at the sides of my nose and on my chin but it's very minor right now but i'm dreading how it's going to look in a few days. I found that washing my hair wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be without getting my face wet I managed to get it done with my face still perfectly dry. I'm also using Wapak's technique of 2 apples to start off the day now although I'm not completely cutting out some of the supposed foods that are "bad" for acne. I'm avoiding fried foods and sugars but I'm still having milk in my cereal every morning seeing as a little bit of milk is very good for the body.

Jwebb i'm excited to see how your progress continues seeings as you have already passed the 2 week mark. Lets hope for good results guys.

Day 16

Nose has been oily all day, and there are a few new pimples on it. They are very small, but i still hate breaking out. I bought some apple Cider Vinegar today, and starting tomorrow morning I'm going to drink a tsp in a glass of water everyday.

Constant progress of my face isn't helping me, so I wont be posting anymore. I'm just not going to care what my face looks like.

To all who contributed to this post; Thank you.

Later.

~Josh

Yep, that's not good for the mind dude. You definitely must stay away from over thinking of your skin. I got the same feeling you have now that's why I now irregularly update my log.

But please do update whenever you feel like it. ;)

Same for me Jwebb thanks for the updates you gave us you honestly gave me the confidence to try this. However I also feel that over analyzing my skin this much is causing me to worry to much. See you guys later.

Day 24

Yesterday i got a gallon of Braggs Organic ACV. So I've started to take 2 tablespoons twice daily. Also I steamed my face for 15 min today, just trying to clear out these pores.

Why am I doing this? I am persistently getting these small pimples and clogged pores that aren't going away. Sometimes they become red and inflamed, and i hate having these tiny redspots all over my right cheek, and nose.

Hi Jwebb, I really admire you for attempting something as difficult as not washing your face for so long! But I just wanted to let you know what my take on the whole thing is (I hope you don't mind me sharing my opinion)...I totally agree with a caveman approach to diet (I have followed the Paleo diet strictly for over a year now)...but when it comes to washing your face, you have to think about our lifestyle and the amount of toxins etc in the atmosphere now...back then, these cavemen lived in a very clean and pollutant free world, where the air was CLEAN! They wouldn't have been bent over a fryer for 8 hours a day!!! I really think it's necessary to clean your face, and with something more than just water. Maybe you saw some improvement because the products you were using beforehand were too harsh or irritating for your face?? I find that if I stray from my cleanser/routine (Clinique Mild Soap - I use it AM and PM...nothing else!), that my skin goes wild. Particularly if I use a cleanser that leaves any residue. Maybe it would be worth trying the Clinique soap? I really recommend it...I just don't believe water alone is enough to clear the pollutants from our skin. Let me know what you think! I hope I haven't upset you in any way. Kate :)

Hey Kate thanks for your input.

Not washing my face I get alot of tiny pimples... They are more like tiny bumps, and I do believe that its caused by toxins in my environment. However, I know for a fact that over washing my face was what gave me moderate acne. I want to keep my pores clear without using cleansers. Which is why I've adopted Facial Steaming, and Apple Cider Vinegar ingesting.

This will keep my skin from letting nasty things sit stagnant in my pores.

Going to see how this works for me.

be careful with the facial steaming

you dont want to dehydrate your skin and damage it all over again

just be careful

maybe you can try baby wipes BUT CHECK THE INGREDIENTS

I think the best is: Lanisoh

But anything with humectants (glycerin, glycerol, propylene glycol) or alcohols in it would be too harmful to the face

Hey Kate thanks for your input.

Not washing my face I get alot of tiny pimples... They are more like tiny bumps, and I do believe that its caused by toxins in my environment. However, I know for a fact that over washing my face was what gave me moderate acne. I want to keep my pores clear without using cleansers. Which is why I've adopted Facial Steaming, and Apple Cider Vinegar ingesting.

This will keep my skin from letting nasty things sit stagnant in my pores.

Going to see how this works for me.

Good luck to you! Let us know how you get on :)