Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Namaste

What works and what aggravates

I've been searching high and low for makeup that doesn't break me out. These are things I've noticed my skin personally will and will not tolerate, everybody's different, but perhaps we can help each other out and find some common likes and dislikes. Thanks ladies :)

causes my skin to break out:

L'Oreal Infallible

Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust

Bare Minerals

gives me coverage without clogging:

Almay Clear Complexion Makeup (as spot treatment or else my skin gets flaky)

Jane Iredale Disappear Concealer

Everyday Minerals Intensive Foundation

Everyday Minerals Blush

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation

I thought that Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation was breaking me out, but I'm pretty certain that it was because I wasn't using a proper makeup remover. Right now I'm using extra virgin olive oil with a clean washcloth then cleansing with Purpose cleanser (it claims to remove makeup so I'll trust it to remove the residue).

hey there!

bareminerals used to break me out to until i started using a primer before applying makeup

have you tried any laura mercier products?

she makes an awesome concealer that has rave reviews on sephora.com!

ok .. so based on my experience.

some things that made me breakout:

l'oreal infallable (feels like halloween makeup on your face)

studio fix fluid (i love mac's shade range though)

covergirl trublend liquid & pressed

revlon colorstay pressed powder

some that haven't:

milani mineral loose makeup

physician's formula mineral wear line

mac's blot powder

i know some of you are on accutane.. well i am (for about 2.5 weeks now) and my skin is starting to get dry and my lips are pretty dry i need some recommendations on a good moisturizer that doesn't cause break outs and a good lip balm PLEASEEE

i know some of you are on accutane.. well i am (for about 2.5 weeks now) and my skin is starting to get dry and my lips are pretty dry i need some recommendations on a good moisturizer that doesn't cause break outs and a good lip balm PLEASEEE

aveeno ultra-calming is nice.

Just buy foundations that are oil free and dont contain comedogenic ingredients

Bare Minerals didn't work for me either. I've had good luck with Alima minerals. MAC makeup is bad.

The only topical I've ever noticed breaking me out is oils used as a moisturizer. And only on my forehead where it causes tiny, non-inflamed bumps. Works great elsewhere though.

Everyday minerals definitely doesn't break me out or cause irritation.

And I haven't touched any in a long time, but most acne topicals are irritating, especially BP which is very damaging to the skin. I do use BHA without a problem, but only once every few days at most, and since I'm no good at remembering to do things I don't do daily, I probably don't use it often enough to irritate.

i use physicians formula mineral powder and i LOVE it.

liquid foundations of any kind break me out, regardless of how non-comedogenic they claim to be.

Use carmex on your lips

Moisturizer:

Aveeno Products

Olay Products

Neutrogena Ultimate Moisture Day Cream

Lip Balms:

Vaseline

Blistex Deep Renewal

Burt's Bees

Carmex

Kiehl's Lip Balm

Moisturizer:

Aveeno Products

Olay Products

Lip Balms:

Vaseline

Blistex Deep Renewal

Burt's Bees

Carmex

Kiehl's Lip Balm

which Aveeno Products

Olay Products do u recommend for a moisturizer ??? and remember i break out easily..

Moisturizer:

Aveeno Products

Olay Products

Lip Balms:

Vaseline

Blistex Deep Renewal

Burt's Bees

Carmex

Kiehl's Lip Balm

which Aveeno Products

Olay Products do u recommend for a moisturizer ??? and remember i break out easily..

CeraVe works great for me as a moisturizer. Doesn't break me out.

Not every product will be great for everyone, but I used it shortly after my face went through the intitial healing stages of a TCA peel. You can usually find it at CVS.

Back on topic of the thread...

Everyday minerals didn't break me out. Unfortunately, I can't use the stuff due to needed heavy coverage & it settling into fine lines. (-35 yrs of age)

Jane Iredale disappear concealer didn't break me out either, but I had orange toned skin issues after long wear time. (I'm very pale)

I can't really recommend the Loreal Colorstay makeup I've been using, but it lasts through a whole shift in a hospital setting & is inexpensive. I've gotten to the point where the other things in my routine create a barrier and I am very thorough about facial care. Many women can use this brand, & many others can't.

Thanks everyone :)

Dee, what kind of things do you use on your skin before you apply makeup to create a good barrier?

I just started using laura mercier concealer and so far it's working nicely. it goes on really smooth, I just can't seem to figure out how to blend the two shades together quite perfectly.

Also, I don't know about anyone else but I really try not to pick at my skin, I just want things to go down on their own, so I usually leave blemishes on my skin and conceal around them but never directly on them. Partially cause I think it looks unnatural to have a bump the same color as your skin, and mostly cause it really aggravates the actives.

Thanks everyone :)

Dee, what kind of things do you use on your skin before you apply makeup to create a good barrier?

I just started using laura mercier concealer and so far it's working nicely. it goes on really smooth, I just can't seem to figure out how to blend the two shades together quite perfectly.

Also, I don't know about anyone else but I really try not to pick at my skin, I just want things to go down on their own, so I usually leave blemishes on my skin and conceal around them but never directly on them. Partially cause I think it looks unnatural to have a bump the same color as your skin, and mostly cause it really aggravates the actives.

CeraVe moisturizer only on dry areas that need it.

(^ Water Purified, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Dimethicone, Polysorbate 20, Polyglyceryl 3 Diisostearate, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum)

Shiseido 55 block. (-Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.4%, Zinc Oxide 13.9%)

Also, lately, I've been using DHC velvet skin coat primer. (-cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, HDI / trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, silica, propylparaben)

Seems kinda excessive to toss the ingredients lists up there, but it saves you the hassle... I'm still a bit keyed up from work right now. *shrug*

Good luck! :D

liquid foundations of any kind break me out, regardless of how non-comedogenic they claim to be.

How do you know its the foundation? The only kind of acne cosmetics can cause is cosmetica acne and thats not even real acne. Just dont use foundations that arent oil free. There is absolutely no proof foundation causes acne vulgaris or whatever its called

How do you know its the foundation? The only kind of acne cosmetics can cause is cosmetica acne and thats not even real acne. Just dont use foundations that arent oil free. There is absolutely no proof foundation causes acne vulgaris or whatever its called

People who are intolerant of mica, whatever, can break out from cosmetics. In acne.

Acne cosmetica is real acne. Acne vulgaris is not the only 'real acne'.

Try Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, it's all natural and you can find it at walgreens or H.E.B. It's the only mositure that hasn't broken me out; I'm looking into try some other natural moisturizer like jojoba oil or something. I used to use clinque superdense spf 25 and loved it but they stopped selling it at the department; it is online though.

You should also look for foundations and products that are non-acnegenic; if i'm not mistaken non comedogenic don't cause white and black heads whereas non-acnegenic doesn't not cause acne. A product that is oil-free and non comedogenic can still have other pore clogging oils and cause acne. I've been searching for non-acnegenic products myself so far here's what I got:

Estee Lauder: Double Wear stay in place make-up (foundation)

Prescriptives: Photocrome compact makeup spf 15 (medium to full coverage)

Flawless sin powder spf 15 (sheer to medium coverage)

Covergirl: Clean-pressed powder

MAC: studio finish concealer spf 30 (I love this concealer!)

People who are intolerant of mica, whatever, can break out from cosmetics. In acne.

Acne cosmetica is a very mild form of acne

You should also look for foundations and products that are non-acnegenic; if i'm not mistaken non comedogenic don't cause white and black heads whereas non-acnegenic doesn't not cause acne. A product that is oil-free and non comedogenic can still have other pore clogging oils and cause acne. I've been searching for non-acnegenic products myself so far here's what I got:

Noncomedogenic means it doesnt cause breakouts

Acne cosmetica is a very mild form of acne

Noncomedogenic means it doesnt cause breakouts

I believe there IS a difference between Non-comedogenic Non-acnegenic

see here...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Definition_of_No...non-comedogenic