Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
corey514

Minocycline.. Again? lol

Let me just give you a quick run down, I took minocycline for a year, and had perfect skin. It stopped working (tolerance?) and then I was put on erethromycin, which didn't do a thing. I then took accutane, and had clear skin once again. Last month my acne gradually began to come back, which sucks lol. Today is the worst its been since it came back, and today is also the end of my first week back on minocycline. I stopped taking minocycline for the first time about a year ago.

My problem is.. If i gained tolerance to it already.. will it clear me up again? I thought I remember reading that acne learns to get passed minocycline over time or something, so why wouldn't it still be able to do this? My doctor told me that my tolerance would be all gone and it should once again be effective but.. All its done is seemed to make my acne the worst its been since I was in the middle of my accutane course.

Also, are there any antibiotics you would recommend I mention to my doctor? I was thinking bactrim.. I really don't want to have to go back to accutane. I REALLY don't lol. That made my acne the worst its ever been (before clearing it, however lol). But it sure did leave a bunch of scars and marks..

Thanks for the help!

You would need to describe your acne first. You won't know until you continue with the treatment. If your acne doesn't get better in a few months with Minocycline, then ditch it. Doxycycline is another antibiotic to try.

Well I'm pretty sure it will work for me because as I said, it worked perfectly for me before I seemed to have grown a tolerance to it a year ago. So a year later, would that tolerance be gone and minocycline be able to treat my acne again?