Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ive been 'uhming and ahing' over trying this stuff for a while, mainly because of the extortionate prices but also because of the is it or is it not good for acne prone skin arguement.

Well.. after a VERY long phonecall with my mother last night (she suffers with rosacea) I decided to hell with it, Ima go get some.

I went for the cheapest of the cheap, bottom of the range kind. Collection 2000 from Boots, my thinking was at £4.50 it wasnt too expensive to try....

Well, all I can say is OMFG! followed by OMFG!

The coverage is AMAZING! I put no concealer on any active spots or red marks as I really wanted to see what this stuff can do and as of now I am left with a virtually flawless blank canvas to do with what I want.

Honestly, it looks like I have NO make-up on whatsoever! I would love to claim the credit for the following application tips.... but its all my mums idea lol.

1. skincare regimen as normal

2. after moisturising wait 10/15 mins for skin to settle (VERY IMPORTANT DO NOT SKIP)

3. using kabuki/shimmer brush dip in minerals and tap brush on side of pot.

4. apply all over base layer: small circles from left jawbone all the way around the face in an 'ever decreasing circle' till you hit the tip of your nose (you may need to dip and tap brush 2 or three times)

5. dip and tap, apply minerals to red patches and areas that need extra coverage, keep applying until you are happy with cover.

6. apply final 'base' type coat all over face to ensure perfect blending.

7. FINISHED!

All of the above steps took me less than 5 minutes. As I said before I have moderate acne with a fair few active beggars and a whole HEAP of old red marks, I also have extremely dry, angry skin.

My mum, however has extremely oily skin which is very red (ruddy) looking and even she swears by the stuff.

I would absolutely recommend trying it out, whatever brand, it really doesnt matter, I got great results from a true budget range, imagine what you could get with the real expensive stuff!

If you are going to use a concealer stick, use it before the minerals and let that settle for 5 mins, then GO FOR IT!

I really hope you guys have as good a result as I did

much love

Titch x x x x x

Personally I'm still undecided on minerals! I have tried the cheap and cheerful Collection 2000 and also middle range Revlon both made me break out after a few days. The Collection 2000 breakout was however nowhere near as bad as the Revlon. I've now become fed up with the time it takes to apply my mask and decided to meet my mother half way ( her theory is to let all the scars hang out and wear no make up, or as she likes to say "let the skin breathe") by using tinted moisturiser. It sort of diffuses the appearance of my hyper pigmentation it doesn't look so red, angry and noticeable and hides my scars a bit. Its also ace as it means I don't have to hang around waiting for my moisturiser to soak in and then apply my foundation, so saves me a bit of time in the morning. The best tinted moisturiser I've found is Lancome's Aqua Fusion. Its a little expensive at over £20 but I don't have the extra expense of a foundation to consider and it does last quite a while (2-3 months). The best benefit of Aqua Fusion however is that its also non-comedogenic!

Im really keeping my fingers crossed for this minerals one, my mum broke out using Revlon, she thinks it could be the perfume or something.

Ive always found that Revlon gives me reactions, even the mascara puffed my eyes up lol. Ive tried so many tinted moisturisers but never found one that hydrated my skin enough :( although Lancome products are heavenly! If I could afford it Id try it out!

Store bought mineral makeup is usually of very low quality and full of filler ingredients. I'm mostly pointing my finger at drugstore brands, here. They have talc and cornstarch in them and are no good for anyone, least of all those of us with "problem" skin.

The brands that you have little choice but to order online have fewer ingredients, no fillers, and are less likely to be irritating to your skin. They're more expensive, yes, but if MMU from the store doesn't work for you, that doesn't mean MMU isn't for you. It just means you tried the cheapest, lowest quality that was available and THAT didn't work for you.

That said, I spent three years trying to make MMU work for me, and I finally caved and went back to liquid-- a drugstore brand, no less.

I'm crap with knowing what ingredients to look for within my beauty products, and all the strange names they put in these ingredients lists just freak me out! I wouldn't write off trying MMU in the future its just that I haven't found the right one for me yet and while something is working I'm just not willing to give it up!

MIBFto is it poss to give us the lowdown on what ingredients to avoid if poss in these products for future reference? Thankyou!

Hmmmm, in the past mineral makeup has made my skin look crazy after a few hours and I always have a reaction to it. My skin also becomes more of an oil slick than it already is. But after reading this you have made me wanna run out and buy this! Damn you Titch!! :lol:

I like Everyday Minerals. You can buy a sample kit (for the cost of shipping but I don't know how expensive that might be to the UK) that has three foundation colors; it might take a few sample kits to find your perfect color. It took me only two kits. In summer, I'm Light Olive. In winter, I'm Olive Fair. I can also mix the two when I'm in between.

Using the right brush makes a huge difference in applying mineral makeup effectively! I like a flat top brush; it gives me great coverage and control. I like the small, flat concealer brushes for dabbing in areas. A primer or moisturizer can make a difference. I usually just wait for about 15 minutes after washing so that my skin becomes a tad oily before I apply the makeup; I don't need a primer. It lasts hours and doesn't look cakey.

Some people do have problems with either mica or talc which are pretty common ingredients in many mineral makeups. If you have a problem with those, EDM is not for you. There are likely many mineral makeup choices that do not contain either talc or mica but it would take some searching.

We have had to actually ban a few companies who continuously spammed our boards with their makeup ads. Those are the ones I shall not recommend. There are other companies who continuously spam their soaps; I will never use their products.

lol Wynne, I know what you mean, if I see a mega ad campaign I never try the stuff out, thats why I spent so long deciding if I should try this mineral stuff or not!

The right tools really DO make all the difference, I found the proper kabuki brush really stiff and spikey so I got a shimmer brush (flat top but huuuge!) and the right moisturiser is essential, would you agree that a light daily moisturiser is best?

After reading posts on breakouts I was nervous, but after taking it off last night I found my skin looked clearer, could that be the zinc oxide?

I was concerned about posting about it tbh, I would hate to think Id encouraged people to try it and caused them to break out :( but after my experience I wanted to share and maybe it could help a few people eh?

Hmmmm, in the past mineral makeup has made my skin look crazy after a few hours and I always have a reaction to it. My skin also becomes more of an oil slick than it already is. But after reading this you have made me wanna run out and buy this! Damn you Titch!! :lol:

hehe >.>

with the mineral stuff you can get little 'blotting books' they have special papers in them to dab on shiny patches and take the oil away while leaving the make-up un-smudged, my mum swears by them lol.

Ive NEVER been able to use powder form make-up, my skin is so dry it just fell off (mmmm pretty pretty) This is the first time a powder has stayed on my face without turning into pink dandruff!

Store bought mineral makeup is usually of very low quality and full of filler ingredients. I'm mostly pointing my finger at drugstore brands, here. They have talc and cornstarch in them and are no good for anyone, least of all those of us with "problem" skin.

The brands that you have little choice but to order online have fewer ingredients, no fillers, and are less likely to be irritating to your skin. They're more expensive, yes, but if MMU from the store doesn't work for you, that doesn't mean MMU isn't for you. It just means you tried the cheapest, lowest quality that was available and THAT didn't work for you.

That said, I spent three years trying to make MMU work for me, and I finally caved and went back to liquid-- a drugstore brand, no less.

Most store bought make-up is pretty grodey unless you spend alot of money :(

I normally use an online site that has some really good stuff, I just wanted to give the minerals a go without burning a hole in my pocket lol, no reactions so far *crosses fingers*

Do you have any international websites that I could take a look at? I checked the ingredients of this one I bought and the only thing bad I could find was talc, maybe Im not reactive to it?

hi

i just wanted to say i recently brought Bare Escentuals Bare minerals foundation and i LOVE IT! i wasnt sure as i was like its powder.i was the girl who thought wearing 3 inches of foundation was the way to cover up my acne! my doctor was the one who told me about this make-up! i was hesitant as it cost £45 but i went to Selfridges which is the only shop in centre of London that sells it and had a make over.

i now love it. i was always searching for the perfect foundation as i always ended up with one that was to orange or yellow for my skin and i always had tide marks. this Bare minerals is perfect!! £45 is a lot to shell out but you get 2 foundations, 3 brushes, warmth and mineral veil. i love it and would never change foundations now.

my spots and scars are covered but i dont looked caked like i used to do. people have even commented on how good my skin looks. i still have spots but i look more natural!! i love this make up range and think everyone should try it!!!

Hi Kimmi!

My mum went to Selfridges and treated herself to the same one! She uses the cheap Collection 2000 for everyday and the posh Bare Escentuals for nights out with my dad lol. (its my birthday soon.... she's going to London, wonder if she'll get me some hehe)

Im really liking the way I can layer it up over the bad scars and red marks and still look like Im not wearing anything! I find it alot easier to match my skin tone to the mineral foundation, with liquids I looked like a vampire or an oompa loompa :lol: