Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heavenlycure

acne was the BEST thing to happen to me

i guess i put this under the wrong topic so this one fits much better with my story. first off i hope that people who read this have an open mind and arent quick to judge or be turned off because religion is a subject that is very controversial. however this is a summary of MY journey with the horrible disease called ACNE!!

im in my early 20's and had never had acne before 2007. not to be conceited but i never had a problem when it came to guys, i was considered very pretty. i would get the occasional HUGE one pimple before my period but nothing too serious, so when i got acne it was much unexpected.

i always had a religious background, not too into it though. i still did young adult stuff and was kind of caught up in my looks and would often put myself above others because of it. i tried to be as good of a christian as i felt i needed to be but i didnt really have a REAL relationship with God…that was until ACNE!

i started to get pimples about 2 years ago, they werent that bad in the beginning compared to the end but initially, me being into my looks, was very concerned and went straight to the dermatologist. not realizing my acne was probably stress induced (i left home, started college!) he put me on a topical- retin-a and some antibiotics-doxy. well each month after going back to him it just seemed to get worse! he would increase my dose, change the drug, give me new topical. i tried everything!!!! doxy, mino, clindo, retin a, yaz, erythro, peni (these are all abbreviated but u know them!) i tried pro active, murad, aspirin mask, lemon, green tea mask, high frequency, benzo., wearing no makeup (yikes!)... the list goes on! after about a year of trying everything i decided there was one thing i had not yet put my trust in. GOD.

now during these 2 years of acne i went through all the same things everyone goes through emotional wise. at first the little acne i had was hard to deal with but i was able to cover it with makeup. but as the months went on my acne got soooo much worse! i had multiple cysts on my cheeks, forehead, and chin. and they hurt and were red and huge! plus from all the meds my skin was also peeling, so make up made it look worse! now remember i had never had this problem before, remember i was the good looking girl that all the guys liked. so this was a very humbling experience! i felt so ugly! i didnt want anyone to see me! i was glad i moved away from my family and friends so they wouldnt have to see me and see this change from the nice clear face to a disaster. i was ashamed, humiliated, angry, jealous, DEPRESSED! i would skip all social events and would cry every time i looked in the mirror. i wanted to die.

during this process of excluding myself from the world, from my friends, family and anyone i knew, i had alot of time to myself. yes i was lonely but everyone i talked to didnt understand! they really didnt!! and nothing they said helped but pissed me off cause they didnt understand cause they had CLEAR FACES!! so i began to talk to God. yes they were angry talks about how i didnt understand why he let this happen to me! and what could i have done to deserve this! why me, why me talks. and even talks of why "so and so" doesnt have acne but i (the christian) do! then the pleas of how i would become a better person if he just cleared it and how i would never judge anyone again and how i just wanted my face to go back to normal and i promised i wouldnt be conceited and take advantage of his blessing to me.

along with the talks to him ( cause he was my only friend) i began to read the bible and listen to sermons to try and become even closer to him. to understand a little about him and maybe why he could let this happen to me. through reading his word i began to understand a little about God. his love for us, his ultimate will for us and most importantly his LOVE for us. this brought me comfort and a sense of relief. that no matter what i look like on the outside the only person who matters loves me regardless of what i look like and like a father he wants to help me and be there for me (you included) in our time of difficulties but ultimately all the time! I felt like I had never felt about him before. I was building a true relationship with him. I was a better person in the inside then I had ever been. An understanding of what is really important in life and what really makes a person beautiful was obvious to me now.

At this point it had almost been a year since my acne started and it had only got worse. I decided to get off all the medicines for acne and instead of hoping and trusting in medicines and doctors, who only look at my face for 5 minutes before prescribing me a new med, I would put my trust in the Lord. I mean what else was really left if you think about it. HE made the doctors and the ingredients in the products basically, so might as well trust in The Creator of it all. And no lie, within 2 months my face was almost back to normal. Of course I still have scars from the acne from the cysts but at least I don’t have mountains anymore I mean my face was bad every area was covered with something!! I believe my scars will go away just like my acne went away. It may not be over night but I know that the Lord loves me and wants me to be happy and will cure it like He cured me from my acne. I have faith in Him and continue to strengthen my relationship with Him.

Looking back on those horrible 2 years, I see the reason for God letting that happen. Like it says in the bible God wants a relationship with us. He loves us so much that he sent his only son for that reason. He wants us to love him and lean on him and realize how GREAT he is. He wants this relationship so bad that sometimes we have to go through tough situations to bring us close to him. That puts things into perspective for us. That HUMBLES us.

I was not on the right path before God got my attention. My looks were everything to me. I thought I was better than people because of it and I would judge because I thought I had that right. Don’t get me wrong I was always very nice to everyone and someone who knows me wouldn’t expect me to say I felt this way about myself but inside I was vain. I was very into this world and my relationship with God wasn’t that much of a priority, he kind of went to the back burner a lot. This was his way to bring me close to him; to show me what he is like and to learn about him. It was to build our relationship and for me to depend on him and value him because that’s what matters most in this life. When I had no one and no value in my life he showed me that all I needed was him/ to lean on him and he would help me more than anyone else. And my journey was proof of how great his love is.

This horrible experience was a blessing in disguise because I now know the love of God and it is the most beautiful and comforting feeling. That no matter what I go through I can trust in him to make everything ok because he loves me and you!

If you believe in him give him a chance. I know this is tough to go through but if you believe he can show you his love too. It might not be right away but do you part in getting to know him and learn about him and build your relationship and the wait will be worth it and it won’t be as bad as if you do it alone, he’ll comfort you. Can you think of a reason for God to let you go through this? Do you need to get closer to him?

**Im not saying this is the cure for everything, having a relationship with him! But tough times are meant for us to depend on him. Your journey might be for a different reason but I know acne is horrible and very depressing and no matter what he can help you get through this.

If you don’t believe in God, he will try other ways to get through to you. This isn’t the last because he’ll NEVER give up on you, he loves you too much. But hey if nothing else works and you’ve been trusting in a pill to work why not trust in this God which is so much more of a topic in this world then Accutane, he must be something special.

God Bless!

I am not religious at all, in fact I consider myself a Atheist. I like reading about religion because I like to understand different points of view. I have seen similar post to yours in which "God" has cured acne. I am glad you don't suffer from acne and overall I found your post very interesting. :clap: I have hope 1 day I will be cleared as well.

My acne/God experience was very similar to yours. For me though, my acne cleared up with bp quickly, and I never really thought of acne as that big of deal. I guess it's because I knew it would go away, and in the meantime I could cover it up..it was the indented scars acne left behind that really got to me. There are days I would look in the mirror, feel my stomach drop, and then want to cry right there and then. I would have been willing to try just about anything to see them disappear, and I would pray and still pray that either needleing, or OTC scar healing creams, or God will heal my scars(even though the knowledge of needleing and scar treatments are only available because of God). I never stopped believing in God, but it is discouraging to pray the same thing everyday with little to no results. And then it hit me, instead of only praying for God to heal my scars, maybe I should also pray to be content with my scars. After all God works in ways that often aren't understood, and sometimes my will isn't the same as Gods. I just have to trust that whatever pain or anything I'm going through is for my own good, God knows what he is doing. I still would rather not have my scars, but the more I pray for contentment, the more I see that my scars aren't really that big of a deal. And honestly now that I'm starting to be okay with my imperfections, I really think my scars are starting to heal.

acne was the best thing ever for me as well, i didnt have a single pimple until i was 22! yeah fuckin 22!! i broke down baaadly all over my jaw. It was mainly my fault for stressing so much and for taking something i should have never tried. I felt like shit, to the point of thinkin about shooting myself or something, that depression lasted for 5 months and then out of nowhere, things started to get better and better. That situation gave me some lessons about life, along with my beliefs, i came from a religious family and after that episode I consider myself and atheist. The thing is you have to be patient. Now i have 1 or two small scars in my jaw that are barely noticeable. Evendough i have almost no acne i joined this page because i feel related to it and i know how it feels like to have such a depressing desease. Again, patience is everything. Cheers

What a wonderful post!

Its so interesting to read of other peoples religions. I was raised Roman Catholic but about three years ago converted to Humanism. I felt it was a way of life that suited me better.

I like the thought that I am the one in control of my life and what happens to me, and I certainly reap the benefits of treating every human being with the respect that they deserve. Even though alot of people treat me like a leper, Im polite and friendly and thankful that Im not as shallow as them!

Religions of all kinds give us the strength and the helping hand we need to get through this. Even though I have no God per se, I have me, my family and my friends and a life that is not going to last forever so Im going to do the best job that I can with it :)

Believe in your God, and be proud of doing so, but ultimately, believe in yourself :)

Reading a post with such positivity is very pleasant to read. Great job, and I hope you continue to follow your savior.

thank you all so much for the positve response. i was a little nervous about the response i would get just because people have such a hard time with religion especially during tough times but you all are really beautiful people. we really are a kind of family because no one can relate to us acne -folks like one another. so thank you all and true beauty comes from the inside and we learn that faster than anyone else. have faith and stay stong, this too shall pass!

I just wanted to say thank you so much for having the courage to write this message. Your story literally brought me to tears, as it is almost identical to mine. I have always been the cute girl that all the guys wanted to talk to. Life was so easy for me when it came to social events and whatnot. I had clear skin (maybe a pimple here and there throughout puberty) until I turned 22 (I'm 25 now). I started on Proactiv and that was probably the biggest mistake I ever made. It completely broke me out and my skin hasn't been the same since. I have tried everything you could possibly think of, but nothing would work! I became so frustrated with my acne and the fact that there was nothing I could do about it. Finally, I realized, I need to put my trust back in the LORD. He has gotten me through every other obstacle in life, why wouldn't He get me through this? All of the time, energy and money I have invested in acne solutions, and still no results; why not just hand it over to my Lord and Savior? I currently have about 7 nodules (yes, I count them) on my forehead, but I'm no longer suffering on any other part of my face. They are extremely painful, but I know the pain won't last forever. I will continue to pray that He will take the pain away and get me back to a point where I no longer even desire to wear makeup for coverage. I will also pray that He will continue to show me that I am a beautiful person, acne or not, and in turn, the stress of having acne will be gone for good. Thank you again for having the courage to speak up about our true healer. Although I do not know you by name, I will keep you in my prayers, and He will take care of you. This disease will not take over our life...We Shall Overcome! God Bless you heavenlycure!

Once I discovered that there was no God I started to get acne :shrug:

Well there you go, start believing in God again and maybe your acne will go away:^)

Once I discovered that there was no God I started to get acne :shrug:

Well there you go, start believing in God again and maybe your acne will go away:^)

:o

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

PRAISE ALLAH!

When I see these posts I really strengthen my suspect that acne and stress are more related than we may think. I am a scientific person, and put down everything to the scientific experiment and real experiences rather than faith in an entity which may have been generated along the generations by peoples of old. My view is similar to Einstein's (see on wikipedia)

However, I have nothing against religious people as most of them are moral people...and it is actually good that they are clear, whatever the means no?

However, I think it is very childish to say one has acne because a spiritual entity punished him, or did something out of love to pull them towards him. Why would a benevolent god give something back to someone which he took away (ie health in this case) to pull them towards him? I am atheistic, and yet believe strongly in morals just as any christian does, yet am lacing the fanatical, blind faith in a spiritual entity, because I feel humans do not need it.

As for your arguments regarding god's eye opener to you...frankly there are a lot of people who live far worse off than some here do. Just because acne makes us humble does not mean that it is a message from a god.

Acne is genetic, stress-induced or hormonal...so you mean god will only 'punish' those with genetic history of acne? and not the others then?because he 'cannot'? lol

I said in the beginning that acne has a lot to do with stress, is because from what I see, the fact that you have let yourself in the hands of a spiritual entity, that you have let go, makes you feel much more relaxed about yourself, and surely does affect acne.

I have been a catholic, and quite a faithful one at that, but now see things from a different perspective. And to prove what I have just written, my acne was quite bad some time ago and I went to a derm and was prescribed accutane. I felt so relaxed that I knew acne was going to be over that I stopped breaking out! Now I am not going to be taking accutane atm but still its effect affected my acne. Just to see how complex our mind is, and how much of an effect it has on our bodies.

Now that's just my opinion ;)

Daniel

When I see these posts I really strengthen my suspect that acne and stress are more related than we may think. I am a scientific person, and put down everything to the scientific experiment and real experiences rather than faith in an entity which may have been generated along the generations by peoples of old. My view on this matter is similar to Einstein's (see on wikipedia)

However, I have nothing against religious people as most of them are moral people...and it is actually good that they are clear, whatever the means no?

However, I think it is very childish to say one has acne because a spiritual entity punished him, or did something out of love to pull them towards him. Why would a benevolent god give something back to someone which he took away (ie health in this case) to pull them towards him? I am atheistic, and yet believe strongly in morals just as any christian does, but am lacking the fanatical, blind faith in a spiritual entity, because I feel humans do not need it to live morally.

As for your arguments regarding god's eye opener to you...frankly there are a lot of people who live far worse off than some here do. Just because acne makes us humble does not mean that it is a message from a god.

Acne is genetic, stress-induced or hormonal...so you mean god will only 'punish' those with genetic history of acne? and not the others then?because he 'cannot'? lol And as for god wanting you to be happy...did he not want you to be happy before? Christians believe that god loves everyone, regardless, and yet you are saying that god punished because of your lack of attention towards him :snooty:

I said in the beginning that acne has a lot to do with stress, is because from what I see, the fact that you have let yourself in the hands of a spiritual entity, that you have let go, makes you feel much more relaxed about yourself, and surely does affect acne.

I have been a catholic, and quite a faithful one at that, but now see things from a different perspective. And to prove what I have just written, my acne was quite bad some time ago and I went to a derm and was prescribed accutane. I felt so relaxed that I knew acne was going to be over that I stopped breaking out! Now I am not going to be taking accutane atm (for other reasons) but still its effect affected my acne. Just to see how complex our mind is, and how much of an effect it has on our bodies.

Now that's just my opinion ;)

Daniel

However, I think it is very childish to say one has acne because a spiritual entity punished him, or did something out of love to pull them towards him. Why would a benevolent god give something back to someone which he took away (ie health in this case) to pull them towards him? I am atheistic, and yet believe strongly in morals just as any christian does, but am lacking the fanatical, blind faith in a spiritual entity, because I feel humans do not need it to live morally.

Daniel, if you were the father of a child and you were able to see your child's life from beginning to end in one instant (kind of the way God does), would you let that child temporarily suffer in a certain span or a certain situation of their life - if you knew that it would make them a much better, spiritual, happier, humble, kind, etc person? Or would you let them NEVER suffer in their life, shield them from all pain, terrible experiences, what have you - knowing full well that if you choose to do so that this person will never grow, live or fully, TRULY appreciate life? Which sounds more like love and benevolence to you? Which sounds more like punishment?

Now, I've had acne for a while and I also believe stress has a huge role to play in it. I do think you are partially right when you mention things about stress reduction beneficially affecting your health. But I think you touched on a greater question about God and 'punshiment' or 'suffering'. Anyway, my two cents.

Isn't it amazing that something like stress can affect someones health? Isn't it amazing how every individual person, even if they are an identical twin, are different? Isn't it amazing that every individual organ system in our bodies work together so perfectly for life? Isn't it amazing that we can...think? I believe in God, because without a God NOTHING makes sense.

Daniel: I totally respect that you still believe in morals even though you don't believe in God, because often times people use the excuse of not believing in God so they can do whatever they want. You seem like a smart guy. And thats what I find....that smart people often lose faith in God. As if because you can explain how something works, it disproves God. For me, it is just Gods design, and further more proof that everything is just too amazing that there HAS to be a creator.

Acne led me on a path to religion and self-discovery as well. I was never really overly religious until my late teens. Having acne caused me to isolate myself and contemplate life and existence. I wouldn't have my understanding of Buddhism and meditation if I had never had acne.

Daniel I totally respect your opinion and beliefs and give you a lot of credit for posting your response going against my blog.

However this is my faith and I know God is real because he has been there for me so many times in my life where I FEEL it is a higher being. And to me it is very hard to believe that people think this whole world and everything is it is based on science or the big bang! How can all the complex organisms on this earth not be from a higher source than an atom? Everything in this world is unique in its own way from how it survives or works or what it produces…etc., that these must have been from something with a very creative mind and God sounds better than something that can be created in a lab.

And I don’t see why you think it is childish for me to believe a spiritual entity would “punish†out of love to pull that person towards him? First I don’t think I was punished. I guess it depends on how you look at things to decide what punishment is or not. I believe yes I got acne from stress PERIOD. I don’t think God gave it to me or cursed me with it but it was part of my life for a reason. This journey through acne had an ultimate purpose to bring me close to God, a way for him show me his love, which he did! This was MY reason for it. This might not be the same for everyone because I believe he tries to open doors for us to reach to him in our own personal ways. But anytime of suffering is the perfect way to lean on something and I think we’re all more open to him at these periods in our life. Whether death or disease, poverty, beauty, wealth, I know God doesn’t do it out of anger as a punishment because even with the good there is always bad. Look at all the rich people who are so unhappy they turn to drugs. And we always don’t understand why we suffer but a lot of the times if you look back on a hard time there was something you learned from it. Something that made you a better person, wiser, happier, more mature…whatever the case but I know everyone has had that experience. So from those experiences we gained something we might not have if we didn’t go through that “punishment†as you put it Daniel. And most of the times were glad we went through it because of the person we become and the lessons we learn. So thank God for that, sounds like a pretty loving God to me. How would we survive on earth if we didn’t know how to deal with the pain of the world, not God but world.

Why don’t you give it a chance and put your faith in him and see if he shows himself to you. Not visually but through your life. You believe in science so make it a research project in your own life. I bet he’s up for the challenge!

*and thank you betterevryday! it makes me feel so good that i share this experience with other people. i will be praying for you too and i know he will help us all!

My opinion on the matter is that god does not exist as he (she?/it? - I shall be using he) has been pictured until now by the major religions; meaning I do not believe in a personal god ie a god whom humans can pray to and be answered from him for support and help in life.

I cannot explain my journey to my belief today in just a blog, but I'll give an analogy: in a marathon, a person prays to god before the race (you see this a lot in soccer), while another does not. Providing the non-religious one is better trained than the religious one, who will win? Will a spiritual entity favour one because he prayed to him? for what reason?? An example running parallel to this analogy would be: a person is genetically prone to acne while another is not (lucky!). The non-acne prone person lives immorally and does not respect the people around him, while the other lives fairly well. To whom will god teach a lesson (I am not using punish) so that he will live better?? The genetically prone will get acne, no matter his lifestyle and the other one will not get acne, not matter how much better he may get in the end.

Well, I'll reply to some people who replied to my reply :lol:

To priceofsilver: I understand your point, that is an argument I actually like (anybody who has read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons might recall the camerlengo's similar analogy to the swiss guard - whether he will let his son skate or not). However, that argument on its own does not prove that any suffering is under the control of a deity and that everything is planned by him.

To sunshine95: yeah I still feel my obligations to fellow human beings, that I have to live morally and not hurt other people. [example: why should I steal from a shop, when the shopkeeper depends on his business to manage his family? Its just not fair, whether I believe in god or not] As I have just written above, I do not believe in a personal god - but all the greatness of nature, who no one can understand better than us scientists awes me and sometimes I say: does life not have a pattern? However, the greatness and precision of nature do not prove a god who is there for answering human's calls and is concerned with the well-being and good life of humans. Many people often link the arguments together, but the arguments are discrete: one has to do with the existence of something beyond us about which no one really knows, and the other about a god who communicates with humans.

Speaking of linking arguments, I find it very misleading when religious leaders (such as priests) link not believing in god to living immorally. In my opinion, humans do not need the guidance of a god and the promise of a heaven to live morally. I will attach a stub of a document I once wrote regarding ethics and god, for anybody who is interested in this subject.

To heavenlycure (OP):in my turn I totally respect your beliefs and am in no way trying to make your spiritual journey invalid.

To what you said regarding how all the complex organisms on Earth originated, well really just because we are ignorant of many things (at the moment - science holds great promise) does not prove the existence of god, and a personal one at that. Just because it is not one thing, does not mean it is another. Also, as I have just written, I find childish (might be too harsh a word) the existence of a personal god, and proving the existence of a personal god with the greatness of nature does not make sense.

Personally, I feel that what some may describe as spiritual awareness of a god, is really a different perspective of life (thinking outside the box?). Some people (someone in this post mentioned it) say: do not pray to god to take away your acne, but pray so that he will make you better at withstanding the psychological effects and you can feel better. You will feel better, I used to experience it, but just realise that this is really YOU who is changing your perspective. I am sorry heavenlycure, I cannot be religious; it is not something one imposes upon himself. I don't have to be if you know what I mean: I choose to live morally on my own, I don't need faith; I don't mean to sound proud, but if I look at it this way; what would I, or the people around me, gain from being religious?

Daniel

Morality_discussion__stub_.doc

Morality_discussion__stub_.doc

You are too smart for your own good. I'm not even being sarcastic. lol.

Faith in God, and that he has contact with humans is nothing anybody can convince to anybody else. I know and have heard stories of answered prayers, and have had my own prayers answered that cannot be explained from a scientific standpoint. They aren't even psychologically or stress related, but are pure unexplained miracles. You probably wouldn't believe them, because they are so unbelievable. So....I don't really know what to say....just continue to live your life.....morally. Have a good day:).

Acne wasn't the best thing to happen, but it did bring awareness. Acne brought attention to the underlying issues inside of me. I should be grateful to receive understanding through adversity.

That's amazing how God made a bad situation into a good one heavenly cure! I'm still struggling with my acne and its emotional and psychological effects but I know I'll be healed one day and I'll be praising God when I do! It's hard not to focus on it and beat myself up over it but I know I should just give it all over to God and no matter what He'll always love me and think I'm beautiful even if the world does not. Way to stand strong in your faith and trust in Him always!

Daniel: It's not just you alone that changes your perspective, in difficult times we can't do everything our self and need to rely on God. It's hard to argue these points with someone who doesn't believe in God as a personal God because He is very real and present in our lives, even if we refuse to listen to Him. I find His love very comforting in hard times and I know I don't just use Him as something I made up to lean on because I'm not strong enough, but it is because to me He is real and you could see that too if you only let down your pride to listen to Him. Anyway that's why I believe in God and of course no one is forcing you, including yourself, but this is what I gain from having faith in God.