Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ugly_skye

Thanks acne for another fantastic day...

I am in the middle of a horrible (initial Accutane) breakout and today I had a meeting scheduled with one of our major clients at work. I begged my boss not to make me go, to the point I was literally in tears with anxiety.

I was supposed to be meeting some people for the first time and this was not how I wanted to be remembered, especially with a bunch of professionals. I don't care what anyone says, people don't respect you as much with a face full of acne; they assume you're some dumb teenager.

Anyways I was forced to go to the meeting, completly self conscious and convinced everyone was staring at me with my caked-on foundation. Not to mention that throughout the meeting and the whole day, my hair was falling out in clumps, there was so much hair I couldn't just put it on the floor, I had to discretely stuff it into my bag, I must have lost at least 300 hairs today alone.

I started Accutane a week and a half ago and I'm on 20mg every second day for two weeks and then 20mg every day thereafter. I don't know what to do, I'm terrified of loosing my hair, but at the same time I can't live with acne anymore, It's such an impossible decision. I can't really lower my dose, cus I'm already on such a low dose.

Anyways that's enough of a rant from me.

I was so sad to read of your awful day :(

With regard to your hair, that must be terrifying, to see it falling out like that. Can you tie it up, it may make it less noticeable, just tie it back gently, you dont want to add more stress.

Your boss was unbelievably insensitive to put you through that ordeal, I would consider making a complaint.

If you get paid sick leave, get your doctor to sign you off work for a few days, it really sounds like you need a rest.

Good luck

*hugs*

Thanks for your reply.

In the end I did tie my hair up, but I really didn't want to as it is good to hide behind when my skin looks awful.

My boss was horrible today, especially since last week he said I didn't have to attend the meeting. I was so mad at him that I couldn't even sit near him on the train ride to the city.

I can't complain to anyone as it's a small company. He thought I was being superficial and said it looks worse to me. I guess as they say, no one really understands until they have acne.

Sorry you are going through that.

I remember times when I was asked to go somewhere to work that involved having to be around a large number of people, or a certain type of people.

My worst was being sent out to work in a beauty salon to install new fixtures. I made up excuse cough cough::sick::::. Unfortunately, that only worked for one day.

As it happened no one said anything, but I felt all eyes were on me, making it difficult to concentrate.

SOS

I don't care what anyone says, people don't respect you as much with a face full of acne; they assume you're some dumb teenager.

Oh wow, thanks.

I'm sorry you had to go to the meeting anyways. :confused: I'm sure they didn't think less of you as long as you remained professional.

Don't stress! Stress is bad!!

Sorry that "dumb teenager" quote did not come out as intended. I am 23 years old and have been working for my company for seven years, so I just meant I didn't want to come across as some rookie, or like that kid with all the pimples in the Simpsons.

Ah unlucky, im going through an accutane Initial breakout at the moment aswell (2 weeks in), its the first time Ive had acne bad enough to be notable for about 4 or 5 months and it sucks.

Hey, Im on 20mg accutane aswell, I take it every night. Its been 5 days now. No improvments for me yet, maybe a little more breakout. Havnt really had any side effects no dry lips or nuthing yet. I was wondering is the accutane making your hair fall out?

Hey, Im on 20mg accutane aswell, I take it every night. Its been 5 days now. No improvments for me yet, maybe a little more breakout. Havnt really had any side effects no dry lips or nuthing yet. I was wondering is the accutane making your hair fall out?

My hair is already dry from bleaching so I think that, combined with Accutane, is not doing me any favours. I am not quitting yet, but definitely keeping an eye on it.

Good luck with your course.

I know this was a venting type of thread, but I've lived with this for the same amount of time as you. Acne has been around since the age of fourteen. It stresses me out to know that acne can return, but what can you do.

My family used to attend mass. I had a bad breakout on my chin and a couple of whiteheads on the corners of my lips, and my dad said "Why don't you just stay home today". So yes, I understand.

I haven't been completly claer in 11 years straight. Luckily you have has some some good years.

Although, that's pretty harsh of your dad. My parents have said a few pretty rude things to me as well, but I think now they have learnt it's a bad idea.

I haven't been completly claer in 11 years straight. Luckily you have has some some good years.

But you know how it is. One problem clears up, another one follows. There's never a break in the action. The only thing to do is keep on.

Thanks for your reply.

In the end I did tie my hair up, but I really didn't want to as it is good to hide behind when my skin looks awful.

My boss was horrible today, especially since last week he said I didn't have to attend the meeting. I was so mad at him that I couldn't even sit near him on the train ride to the city.

I can't complain to anyone as it's a small company. He thought I was being superficial and said it looks worse to me. I guess as they say, no one really understands until they have acne.

That guy has to be the most insensitive prick on this entire planet. It may be a small company but they should still have grievance procedures. Do you have any close colleagues you can confide in?

With the dry hair, you could always try either jojoba or olive oil, massage it on to the roots and leave it overnight, it helps to nourish the scalp without irritating :)

Haha you nailed it. One thing my boss is known for is his "lack of sensitivity". We all just try and ignore it. I have a good friend who works with me some days so that definitely makes things easier.

I always wondered if olive oil worked for hair, I thought about doing it and then thought I'd probably just make a big mess, or it would break me out, but I may give it a go.

You should! its by far one of the best natural remedies out there! I used it on my face after a chemical burn from OTCs, on the kids for cradle cap, great for sunburn too lol. Only just discovered it works a treat on old scarring and red marks too! It also makes blonde hair REALLY shiny so it may just give you a boost :)

You poor thing :( Acctuane will help your skin Skye (i'm not calling you the "u" word because it is not true, acne or not) and that meeting sounded like hell, but look on the bright side, you survived!

You poor thing :( Acctuane will help your skin Skye (i'm not calling you the "u" word because it is not true, acne or not) and that meeting sounded like hell, but look on the bright side, you survived!

It probably will help my skin... but I may end up bald in the process.

You certainly don't get something for nothing in this world.

Just curious, was your skin not real oily when you started on accutane..? I am trying to see if my theory (speculation) is correct... about accutane's effect on different skin types...

Every time I look at that photo of yours, I laugh... that tongue out is just.....well, hahaha...

Geez, would it kill you to think positively for a change?

Hair loss to the extent you're claiming is very, very, low in regards to Accutane, more than likely you'll lose a few clumps that'll just grow back anyway. Baldness, as a result of Accutane, would put you in the minority of users (probably no more than 5% though I cannot find any evidence to back this up).

Do note that there are several causes of hair loss which could be unrelated to taking Accutane. Sometimes it isn’t easy to know the actual cause. In some cases hair loss is attributed to other causes like thyroid problems, infection, eczema, weight loss, stress, environment, etc.

So a better attitude will reduce the possibility of baldness, perhaps you could get a puppy or something?

I walked out of a restaurant last week without paying, so that's your theory fucked, isn't it...

Blondiie I have tried tetracycline and it didn't work.

Snugs my skin isn't oily at all, in fact I would say it's pretty dry, but I still get acne. What's your theory?

Doomtrain, while baldness may be rare, I have heard reports of between 10% and 30% of people loosing much more hair on Accutane, so It's reasonably common. I'm not feeling particularly optimistic right now and by the sounds of some of your posts, you have your low days as well. I'm sure a puppy would help but I work too much and it would be cruel.

Oh and I wouldn't be so sure, karma may bite you on the arse.

10-30%?

Surlely those are only reports on users who experienced some degree of hair loss, the ambiguity surrounding it means that even those who, say, perhaps lost a single strand of hair could be included in those results, thus deeming them an inaccurate reflection of the drug test.

Both my brother and I have a full head of hair and we both took Accutane around 5 years ago, no longtime side affects, very few if any short term side affects, some may say we simply got "lucky" but the statistics show that Accutane (in the majority of cases) is effective treatment treatment for acne with no serious long term disorders.

I don't believe in Karma, this is not "My Name Is Earl" it's real life! The Universe couldn't give 2 shits what I or anyone else does, for it is not a tangible sentient. If Karma existed then why aren't Boeing 747's crashing into Bin Laden's palace?

You could argue retribution is stored and dealt with in the after life, but I don't believe in Heaven either, so it would be pointless.

Just saying, it's all dumb luck.

Blondiie I have tried tetracycline and it didn't work.

Snugs my skin isn't oily at all, in fact I would say it's pretty dry, but I still get acne. What's your theory?

Doomtrain, while baldness may be rare, I have heard reports of between 10% and 30% of people loosing much more hair on Accutane, so It's reasonably common. I'm not feeling particularly optimistic right now and by the sounds of some of your posts, you have your low days as well. I'm sure a puppy would help but I work too much and it would be cruel.

Oh and I wouldn't be so sure, karma may bite you on the arse.

My theory is that when a person with less oily skin goes on accutane the accutane does not work as well... Maybe because acne is different in everyone; no two people have all the same levels of conditions that trigger acne. people with oily skin that have acne get great improvement with accutane--maybe more often--because the excessive oil was a main trigger of their acne. We know that the skin cells lining the pores do not slough off properly. The trapped cells make it harder for oil to escape, and other toxins along with acne bacteria: P-acne is also trapped. So the pore lining becomes rough and eventually inflamed. If your acne is treated well by reducing oiliness, then accutane will work better for you... Although, accutane is said to reduce inflammation and improve cell sloughing too... so, maybe oiliness is most improved or rectified by accutane over the other conditions.

Hey, I really feel for you! I have been there sooo many times. I worked in a high stress job where I was expected to not just attend meetings but LEAD them with our top clients in the boardroom under the big bright lights with all of my peers, catty coworkers (who wanted to see me fail), VP's, and company president! I had to get up in front of them all and give presentations during some of my worst breakouts ever. Meanwhile everyone else in the room has perfect skin and there is me (39 years old btw and still dealing with this shit) feeling like the freak. Just like you said the freak in heavy foundation making futile efforts to cover what I know everyone can already see. Looking back I don't know how I ever did it, but you just suck things up and do what you have to do sometimes hoping the humiliation will pass and that people will see that you are much more than the stupid spots on your face.

It was brutal so I totally feel your pain. I wish I knew what to say, other that what we already know...acne sucks and unfortunately people can be judgmental and cruel. Stress doesn't begin to cover it and it's not so easy to flip a mental switch in your head that says, "Ok, I'm going to be positive now!" (and btw I had a puppy waiting for me at home and it still made me feel like shit at the end of the day) So really I can commiserate 100%.

I am not on acutane so I can't speak to the side effects or hair loss but I have tried every other medication under the sun and have had some bad reactions and side effects. I do know that everyone reacts differently to medications, I am highly sensitive to antibiotics for instance and my Dr's have refused to ever put me on acutane because of my history. As a last ditch effort to clear my skin I went on spironolactone and it's clearing me up nicely. I have concerns about staying on any medication longterm but I had to do something because I just couldn't live a quality life without taking some kind of action. No bad side effects so far knock on wood (3 months and counting). Should you decide to go off acutane you may want to speak with your derm about spiro. It is actually prescribed to some women who experience hair loss (alopecia or female pattern baldness) as it can actually help the hair on your head grow while it decreases body hair. I'm not sure how that works but it does. My hair has grown longer and thicker since taking it and my skin is 95% clear. I am just dealing with the leftover red marks at this point and one old cyst that is on it's way out.

Anyway good luck to you, I hope things improve for you very soon!

Green