Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CoreyDB

Accutane on Closed Comedones!

So I am on Accutane, and it has pretty much cleared me up. Or so I thought. After it took away the inflammed-acne and the active pimples and whatnot I started noticing these little white bumps. Everywhere. Closed Comedones. So my question is, will the Accutane get rid of these bumps, or will I need to get another product to get rid of them? I have been on Accutane a month and a half. Please answer!

I can't really tell you if they'll go away, but I have the same problem. I'm a month and a half into my Accutane treatment, and it seems to be working well. Had my IB, cleared up nicely, and there's almost never new active or inflamed acne. But, my closed comedons/white bumps, that have been there for AGES, don't seem to be reacting. I'm seeing my derm tomorrow, so I'll ask her abut the prospects of them disappearing, and I'll get back to you, if you haven't already found out.

:)

So I am on Accutane, and it has pretty much cleared me up. Or so I thought. After it took away the inflammed-acne and the active pimples and whatnot I started noticing these little white bumps. Everywhere. Closed Comedones. So my question is, will the Accutane get rid of these bumps, or will I need to get another product to get rid of them? I have been on Accutane a month and a half. Please answer!

About a week into starting Accutane I started getting huge patches of white heads, they hurt so bad! It was just a really bad experience. They dried out and the patch cleared up a few days ago, but I still get random white heads all over my face. Nothing like it was a few days ago though (where I swear there were over 50 on top of each other). I think everyone is just different, so I think this will go away. Keep us updated on how it's going. I was worried as well since I hadn't seen anyone’s posts say this happened to them. Just keep positive, I'm sure the Accutane will take care of it eventually!

Well I had them before I started, but as my skin clears up, they are becoming more noticable. I think they are starting to fade, but I could just be getting used to them. Did you speak to your Derm yet Ren? Lyn I feel you. I had one spot like that, it popped with little pressure (ew) and a whole bunch of crap came out. That section is completely clear now that the red mark is gone. Maybe that will happen to all of them?

EDIT: Sorry Ren, didn't see your reply was today also. Just post here or on my log with the results. (My log is in the Accutane Log section 'Most Interesting Log Ever').

i have heard that people have been left with these bumps after their accutane treatment.

this form of acne is the most stubborn kind of acne (i would know, i have been battling it for ages, it seems)

i think a green cream or a mandelic acid would get rid of them.

however, i have tried niether so i am not the best to ask.

the user LionQueen made a thread about, go check it out.

here.

Well I had them before I started, but as my skin clears up, they are becoming more noticable. I think they are starting to fade, but I could just be getting used to them. Did you speak to your Derm yet Ren? Lyn I feel you. I had one spot like that, it popped with little pressure (ew) and a whole bunch of crap came out. That section is completely clear now that the red mark is gone. Maybe that will happen to all of them?

EDIT: Sorry Ren, didn't see your reply was today also. Just post here or on my log with the results. (My log is in the Accutane Log section 'Most Interesting Log Ever').

Saw my derm this morning (I'm probably a bunch of timezones ahead of you...), she's letting me continue on the same dosage, and everything seems to be fine, yay. :)

So, I asked her about the closed comedones, and the only thing she could say was that Accutane MIGHT work on all kinds of acne, but you can never tell, and if it's prescribed to three patients, the three might have totally different reactions to it. Not really a shocker, I guess... Anyway, no promises, but she did say Accutane is able to get rid of our white bumps. I'm optimistic, and I think I'll post new pictures to my own log today, seems appropriate.

:)

I would think those should be mostly gone at the end of 12 weeks. You are seeing comedones surfacing ... it takes awhile to get them all out.

Ugh.. So I am on week 8 now, and holy shit, they are everywhere. Here is a background check on me. Before I was on Accutane I had taken Tetracycline for 8 months and was using Neo Medrol topical for five months. I don't know if that has any corrolation but I know Wynne and LionQueen are very up on their health sciences so maybe they will know something I don't.

To the point. Week 8, and these comedones are fucking ridiculous. I have scoured these forums, looked at all available pictures, and I can assure you no one has it as bad as me. My forehead is *covered* in them. I will post a picture below. This can't be comedones can it? I am really, really thinking I have an infection or fungus which could be cured in a week with a visit to the doctor and some anti-biotics. Please, LionQueen, Wynne, anybody else here with knowledge, let me know what the hell is up. I have basically zero inflammatory acne left and the red marks you may or may not see are from a while ago. This is sooo frustrating. If these bumps are gone, hell, I would be 99% clear. Please help. Please.

Amazingly terrible forehead shot of "comedones" (they are also all over my face, though not as bad):

post-79757-1238251192_thumb.jpg

(It was hard to get a shot so look at the part in the light. That's what my entire forehead looks like. And worse, the cam is crap so thats not even close to how bad it is. :(

P.S. I am now on 60 mg/per day. I was on 40 mg/per day for the first two months. I am 17, and these are not surfacing. If they are, it's hardly noticable. 90% of my blackheads are gone also, and I am under the impression if the blackheads are going, *comedones* should be also? Frig...

post-79757-1238251192_thumb.jpg

Don't worry, Corey ... it's all part of the process. I really think you are seeing the deeper comedones surfacing. Skin works slowly, and this all takes awhile.

I would think most of these little bumps would resolve over the next 4 weeks, though. If you don't start seeing some progress, definitely talk to your derm.

If they start getting inflamed, try icing your face for a few minutes several times a day, and perhaps pop an ibuprofen.

Don't worry, Corey ... it's all part of the process. I really think you are seeing the deeper comedones surfacing. Skin works slowly, and this all takes awhile.

I would think most of these little bumps would resolve over the next 4 weeks, though. If you don't start seeing some progress, definitely talk to your derm.

If they start getting inflamed, try icing your face for a few minutes several times a day, and perhaps pop an ibuprofen.

Update on them. No progress so far. Well not really. I broke out a bit, and a couple new zits popped up on my forehead. I did squeeze, but it almost seems like those zits empty out all of the 'gunk' from the surrounding comedones. I still have a ton of them left, but I just mean to say, I thought every comedone was going to have its own seperate little bump, which would have surely lead to my forehead falling off of my face. Ha!

Anyways, I ordered some 2% Paula's Choice BHA Gel. Is this going to help any? The order comes in this coming Monday so I have not put it on yet. Will it be fine to use while on Accutane (my skin doesn't seem to be all that sensitive right now)? And will it have any effect on the closed comedones? I know it works wonders on blackheads, but fortunently, I have about none left, it's just all closed comedones and the few remaining inflamed zits and stuff that are still popping up. Thanks! :)

It's a very gentle product and I think it's worth a try. Just don't over-do things; your skin is more sensitive than usual. Try using it once every other day for starters, and if you have no dryness or redness you can try it daily.

I can't promise that it will solve everything, but yes, I think it will help. The exfoliation action of SA combined with the purging action of retinoids is usually extremely effective.

Awesome. I really hope this goes well. Just a final question, when the Comedones surface, is it the same as blackheads where for a day or two it seems like they are everywhere then over a few days they all just magically dissapear (probably fall off while sleeping or in the shower)? I know you where on Accutane so you can relate to the blackhead stage I have already gone through.

Yeah, but I didn't have any closed comedones left when I went on Accutane ... I'd gotten rid of them all with a topical. My Accutane story is quite atypical, owing to the extremely low dosage and the reasons (folliculitis, oily skin) I went on it.

Anyway, I think a lot depends on how prone you are to inflamed acne. The comedones can surface and disappear very quickly and easily, as you say .... or they can turn into pimples.

I do think the BHAs will help, assuming your skin tolerates the product well.

Be careful. Many people have been left with persistant problems like the above after accutane. I would be cautious about mixing topicals with accutane too or your skin could become very problematic.

Yeah, but I didn't have any closed comedones left when I went on Accutane ... I'd gotten rid of them all with a topical. My Accutane story is quite atypical, owing to the extremely low dosage and the reasons (folliculitis, oily skin) I went on it.

Anyway, I think a lot depends on how prone you are to inflamed acne. The comedones can surface and disappear very quickly and easily, as you say .... or they can turn into pimples.

I do think the BHAs will help, assuming your skin tolerates the product well.

Well if it helps any, I have never had a single blackhead in my life turn into a zit!? They have always remained blackheads. Also my closed comedones have never turned into zits unless provoked (picked at, hit, scruffed up)?

I feel pretty optimistic that this is going to clear up without too much trouble. It sounds like at least some of the closed comedones are very close to surfacing already.

Just treat your skin gently, and use common sense with the BHAs. Irritation is counter-productive, so if you start seeing redness or dryness, stop using them until it goes away.

I feel pretty optimistic that this is going to clear up without too much trouble. It sounds like at least some of the closed comedones are very close to surfacing already.

Just treat your skin gently, and use common sense with the BHAs. Irritation is counter-productive, so if you start seeing redness or dryness, stop using them until it goes away.

Awesome. I think so too. And they really do seem like they are ready to come out, they just need a little extra motivation that does not include my finger-tips ahaha! Thanks for all the help and info and I will post here with any new information. I will also keep you updated on how the BHA works. I really think, for better or for worse, the BHA should hit the eject button on the forehead comedones within a couple of weeks of use. The only real question is are they going to be nice about it or come out the hard way... Well I guess we will find out soon enough!

Hey CoreyDB

How are your closed comedones looking? I am suffering with something similar, its so frustrating!! On week 4 of tane and they just seem to be getting worse, and multiplying!

Are they subsiding at all?

I had very small closed comedones before starting accutane and now it seems I have a million, and they arent just in the corners of my chin now they are on my cheeks and all over the place?! does accutane cause these?

hey guys! Lets all unite with what is happening to our skin. My comedones have not been getting better, but have been turning into pimples and zits. It's not good. Ugh. Prom is in 4 weeks. How are your faces doing? Hit me back!

Hey guys! I am on about week 7 of 10 mg a day. Very low dose.. and I have still had all these comedones surfacing, its nuts!! Most of them aren't inflamed, but about one at a time will become a little inflamed. Some of them surfaced early on and have stayed there for weeks as tiny whitish bumps. It is impossible to extract the junk by stretching the pore or anything, and I dont want to pick at the skin since it is so sensitive on accutane right now.

How is the Paulas Choice BHA working for you?

Is anyone else having any luck getting rid of these without them becoming inflamed?

I wonder if I should have these extracted so they don't become inflamed?? Or will these comedones just dry up and shrink after a few more weeks?