Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mike59

What's a good filter?

I've been researching some filters. and a lot of them still have the impurities in them (such as brita). anyone have suggestions on what they think takes out all of the impurities? talking about for a shower filter and faucet filter; need both! thanks! btw, i have a reverse osmosis system in the kitchen and its soooo embarrasing trying to wash my face in there when my family is liek what are you doing? Especialyl my sister, she is like it's not a shower! but yet she has nooo idea what we're going through- i just wish our family would understand!!!

I just got one but I didn't go crazy researching them. There was one I got at Lowe's that was $35. I have an RO in the kitchen too. It's definitely not as good but I can tell the difference in the water. My skin doesn't feel as dried out. I know there's a lot of chlorine in the water here...I test the water all the time because I have saltwater fish. Ultimately I'd like to have a whole house filter and water softener but I'll have to wait to save up the $1000. The little filter for $35 is a good start. I got the one that is the whole handheld shower head with the filter in it. I didn't to the sink yet.

oh alright thanks. when you install the water softener, do you think that would just be good enough? i don't quite know the difference between a water softener and a filter.

You may not need a softener depending on your water. A filter is always a good idea. Where I am, we have hard water. It has a lot of minerals and leaves deposits...soap doesn't lather up as well and its harder to rinse.

I have the aquasana for drinking and the vitashower vitamin C to filter the chlorine in the shower. I researched them a couple of years ago, so don't recall all of my reasons. But they are cheaper in the long run do to filter life than things like the $30 ish brita and culligan faucet mounts. Try searching and you might find discussions from a few years ago.

The thing is that faucet filters are about drinking water. You don't necessarily have the same concerns with washing. In fact there's one fancy filter recommended by the 'live long enough to live forever' guys that produces alkaline water to drink and acidic water as a byproduct that's better for washing.

You might be that sensitive to chlorine that you don't even want to wash your face in it, but the biggest concern is in the shower/bath where you wash your whole body in it and breathe in the steam. i don't worry about washing my face in the sink. Although I don't really wash my face except in the shower before bed, I wipe it with a damp cloth.

yeah ours is pretty bad water here as well. so i guess what you are saying is both is a good idea but a filter is a better one. gotchya. i was hoping a softener would cut it because my dad is talking about installing one soon.